Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'd rather have Scanlin on the 3rd pair than Lindgren in the first with Fox, how about that?
Not me. I don’t think jones-fox is an ideal pairing.
Despite the vitriol on the boards I bet Fox is happy to have Lindgren back on his left side if you ask him…..
He was also playing better in the last 2.5 weeks before his injury

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Lindgren is better than Scanlin and he and Fox were actually good together with Trouba being out. They get to actually start shifts not after the other team did Globetrotters shit for 2 minutes.

It's Trouba I'm worried about. He legit almost doesn't play defense at this point.
Me too… I think they are giving Trouba an extra long rest.
I doubt the injury to his lower body from the shot is the only thing he’s been dealing with….
He hasn’t tried to steamroll anyone in a while prior to that as well….
I’m wondering if the staff told him to dial it back til the playoffs, they don’t need him breaking a hand or something else for having to fight after a clean hit…
I can’t wait for Oth/berard/sykora and Cuylle and Laf to mature a bit, add in trocheck/schneider and we have a lot of guys with prickish behavior.

Long drained from the days of cally/dubi/prust etc

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Lindgren is better than Scanlin and he and Fox were actually good together with Trouba being out. They get to actually start shifts not after the other team did Globetrotters shit for 2 minutes.

It's Trouba I'm worried about. He legit almost doesn't play defense at this point.
Only $1.5m overpaid though

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Just going off some of the stuff in the Gabe thread... its wild how many young players we're going to have pushing for the big team. Love it, you need to have that. I have no clue where the hell they're going to fit. Aside for one spot at RW the top 6 looks to be set in stone going forward. You have Panarin, Kreider, Laf, Mika and Trocheck. Then you still have Cuylle and Kakko on the big team, Vesey and Brodz have both played their role well. Perreault has star potential, he's not too far away. Othmann and Berard have legitimate upside. Rempe, Sýkora, and Edström can be strong role players at this level. Laba and Chmelar are putting themselves in that conversation as well.

They pretty much have one opening at RW in the top 6. In the bottom 6 two wings and the two center spots are a question mark. That's completely leaving out guys like Vesey, Brodz, Chytil, etc... factor in possible free agents as well... that's a shit ton of competition for maybe 1 real opening.

Reactions: egelband

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
The heat will be off Kreider in a couple of weeks when Trouba comes back and we go back to giving up five odd-man rushes a period.

It'll be Fox's fault somehow, but still, the heat will be off Kreider.

It took Kreider almost 10 seasons to reach his potential as a pro. It's ridiculous to think some rookie like Othmann can come in and have an impact to make up for the loss of Kreider. Kreider is fantastic for what he does. Yes he has a flaw or two but so do most everybody. If anything he can drop down to the third line and keep having an impact in the special teams situations. Silly to think of letting him go when there is a lengthy list of other players that should go ahead of him.

Last edited:

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Just going off some of the stuff in the Gabe thread... its wild how many young players we're going to have pushing for the big team. Love it, you need to have that. I have no clue where the hell they're going to fit. Aside for one spot at RW the top 6 looks to be set in stone going forward. You have Panarin, Kreider, Laf, Mika and Trocheck. Then you still have Cuylle and Kakko on the big team, Vesey and Brodz have both played their role well. Perreault has star potential, he's not too far away. Othmann and Berard have legitimate upside. Rempe, Sýkora, and Edström can be strong role players at this level. Laba and Chmelar are putting themselves in that conversation as well.

They pretty much have one opening at RW in the top 6. In the bottom 6 two wings and the two center spots are a question mark. That's completely leaving out guys like Vesey, Brodz, Chytil, etc... factor in possible free agents as well... that's a shit ton of competition for maybe 1 real opening.
You truly love to see it.

There's one wide open spot. Top 6 RW. I know some would disagree, but I wouldn't try to sign anyone for the role and would pencil in starting out next season with Kakko there. Make a kid beat him out in camp if they can. If Otter or Berard seize it, then Kaapo's a sick 3RW anyway.

3C is uncertain. If Fil has another setback, then we need to sign one. It sucks, because our top 3 C heading into this season was insane. Just nothing in the cupboard. Let's say Wennberg signs Chytil's exact remaining contract for example. Either way, that leaves an opening at 3RW instead of "Top 6 RW," for Othmann, Berard, or something wild like Sykora to take.

Call me crazy, but Cuylle plays a very good "4th line game," even though he'd be a 3rd liner on most teams in the league. Shift him down to the 4th, and then there's a 2nd opening at 3 LW for another one of those kids next season.

One injury leads to a third opening. Perreault's timeline coincides with Panarin's expiration, so that's sort of a third or fourth opening reserved specifically for him in the future.

Work in Edstrom and obviously Rempe on the 4th line regardless.

We're not bursting at the seams on the wing quite yet, but approaching that status sure is fun! Our C pipeline is hurting, but if Filip Chytil gets to play hockey for a living again, then Edstrom is the perfect depth C and we have time to develop BMB or whoever.

Our D pipeline is hurting, but our NHL guys are overall so young as it is. Although Hartford is gonna be in a rough place on D next season, if not addressed. A lot of waiver eligible guys, and not a lot of prospects that are ready for AHL time.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
You truly love to see it.

There's one wide open spot. Top 6 RW. I know some would disagree, but I wouldn't try to sign anyone for the role and would pencil in starting out next season with Kakko there. Make a kid beat him out in camp if they can. If Otter or Berard seize it, then Kaapo's a sick 3RW anyway.

3C is uncertain. If Fil has another setback, then we need to sign one. It sucks, because our top 3 C heading into this season was insane. Just nothing in the cupboard. Let's say Wennberg signs Chytil's exact remaining contract for example. Either way, that leaves an opening at 3RW instead of "Top 6 RW," for Othmann, Berard, or something wild like Sykora to take.

Call me crazy, but Cuylle plays a very good "4th line game," even though he'd be a 3rd liner on most teams in the league. Shift him down to the 4th, and then there's a 2nd opening at 3 LW for another one of those kids next season.

One injury leads to a third opening. Perreault's timeline coincides with Panarin's expiration, so that's sort of a third or fourth opening reserved specifically for him in the future.

Work in Edstrom and obviously Rempe on the 4th line regardless.

We're not bursting at the seams on the wing quite yet, but approaching that status sure is fun! Our C pipeline is hurting, but if Filip Chytil gets to play hockey for a living again, then Edstrom is the perfect depth C and we have time to develop BMB or whoever.

Our D pipeline is hurting, but our NHL guys are overall so young as it is. Although Hartford is gonna be in a rough place on D next season, if not addressed. A lot of waiver eligible guys, and not a lot of prospects that are ready for AHL time.
All good points. I think you make a good one about Cuylle. Seems like a lot of people have him in stone on the third line. If someone like Othmann, Berard or a FA comes in and outplays him I don't have an issue putting him on the 4th line.

In terms of prospects yeah it looks like Hartford will be thin on D. Hopefully Drury can be shrewd picking up some free agents whether it be NCAA, Europe, etc... Hudson Thornton on Prince George is interesting. I believe we invited the New York kid Zach Bookman to our prospect camp this past summer. Hopefully that puts us on the inside track there. I do admire what Drury has done with Hartford though. He brought in a handful of proven AHLers. So even if our prospect depth turns out thin there on D I trust that he makes a consistent effort to fill out the roster down there like he did this year

Reactions: Kendo

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Can they try Berard or Othmaan and send Rempe down ?

Or Edstrom again

I doubt Rempe plays a playoff game and if he does why when he gets 5 minutes then benched in a close game

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
If Kreider and Mika aren’t going to score anyways, just play Kakko with them. At least their defensive numbers all get better with Kakko on the ice with them.

They have been on the ice for 222 minutes at five on five this year and surrendered two goals against.

Roslovic makes Kreider and Mika even worse at five on five, he’s not any good, especially defensively.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
If Kreider and Mika aren’t going to score anyways, just play Kakko with them. At least their defensive numbers all get better with Kakko on the ice with them.

They have been on the ice for 222 minutes at five on five this year and surrendered two goals against.

Roslovic makes Kreider and Mika even worse at five on five, he’s not any good, especially defensively.
Im actually starting to want 50-93-24

also not sure you noticed but the past two games, kakko gets shifts in the third with Mika and Ck.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Im actually starting to want 50-93-24

also not sure you noticed but the past two games, kakko gets shifts in the third with Mika and Ck.
something is missing with roslovics game. he's not in the middle of it enough. Maybe playoff hockey will wake him up.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad