Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If you guys want to see some laughably stupid takes and posters, go take a look at the Montreal posters in the Laf to MTL thread on the trade board. I had to stop reading it, or i would be getting infracted for the stuff i'd be posting

Reactions: Circus86

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Where do you think the team and franchise as a whole would be without panarin? 15-20 less points?

Night in and night out this guy brings his A game and competes to a higher level than anybody else on the team.

He is the greatest UFA signing in franchise history and easily top 3 in NY sports history. How many times can players come here in any sport and handle the bright lights and the pressure? Hes not only handled it but has probably exceeded expectations. Cant wait to see him this playoff run.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
If you guys want to see some laughably stupid takes and posters, go take a look at the Montreal posters in the Laf to MTL thread on the trade board. I had to stop reading it, or i would be getting infracted for the stuff i'd be posting
yeah i've been mucking it up a bit in there

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Our schedule for the rest of the season is pretty weak but we seem to lose to these types of teams so it will be good to fine tune our system and get ready for playoffs mode. Lav needs to dial in the team's focus and competitive level.

1711738413669.png

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Lav has 9 games to get the bottom six in order for a run.

That 6th forward decision is going to be interesting. Brodz or Rempe. Likely to see both of them I would think, depending on the situation.

There will be some games where they could get in Edstrom for a skate and he’s a wildcard for me. His skating size and reach could be just as effective or more than Rempe if they want a change of pace.

While it would be preferable to roll 4 lines I think a big key would be to solidify the third line and their role. Really get them matching up, keeping possession and the puck out of their end while hopefully adding some tangible secondary scoring.

Wennberg and Kakko are locks. They’ve moved around Vesey, Brodz and Cuylle in that LW spot but I really hope it’s Cuylle - but with a condition.

Cuylle looks like he could be hitting a wall with the NHL schedule, and that’s to be expected for a rookie in his first full season.

However I feel like they should prioritize his rest so he’s ready to put in 3rd line minutes and go to war bringing his physical, disruptive play.

And I believe that’s exactly what they’ve been doing. He was scratched once, getting more limited time with the 4th. He and Kakko work well together when they are skating and breaking up every potential break out in the offensive zone.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I would roll this to begin the Playoffs:

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Bread - Vinny - LAF
Koollee - Wennberg - Rozlovic (Brodzinski)
Rempe - Goodrow - Vesey (Edström)

After tonight 7 of 8 remaining games in 15 days are in NYC. Rotate the roster in G, D and Fwd to keep guys fresh, healing their wounds and on their toes. Real season starts mid April. Whatever the outcome of total points

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Jones or Ruhwedal as the 6th D if Gustafsson isn't healthy? Jones saw a lot of ice time in OT against Colorado when Fox didn't return after getting hit with the puck. Jones has established himself as a viable option for next season at $812,500. At the very least, Jones was raised his trade value if the Rangers wanted to go in that direction.

The Canadiens are looking to accelerate their rebuild. The Habs don't want to end up like of these teams stuck in the 10 year rebuild. Montreal has some good pieces. They need another top six forward. Caufield and Suzuki need help. Those players are 24 and 25 years old respectively. The Slovakian kid Slafkovsky has gotten better. They need Dach to stay healthy. The Habs acquired Newhook from the Avs for a late 1st and early second round pick. He missed 2-3 months with a high ankle sprain. Remember when Newhook was supposed to be the next great Boston College player. 2019 draft. The Rangers discussed a Kreider trade with the Avs. 19th pick in the draft. Newhook or Krebs. Newhook turned pro after his freshman season because Covid cancelled everything and nobody knew what would happen in 2020-21. Both of those players didn't develop the way people expected them to develop. Covid shortened or no seasons didn't help many players. They still have some bad contracts weighing them down inherited from Bergevin. Gallagher and Anderson. The Habs have a few extra first round picks. Gorton wants to make some moves. Montreal would move their picks in the right move and not just the Winnipeg first round pick. The Habs have some very good young D in their system. Go time in Montreal.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It's surprising, to me, the amount of negativity around a team that's going to end up having the best three year regular season stretch in a nearly one hundred year history.

The East is wide open - if they play the right way they certainly have an outstanding chance at getting to the Final.
You can’t try to explain it with logic…..
Some are miserable when we win, miserable when we lose.

Truth is this team is set up to compete for the next 2-3 seasons and beyond.

Trocheck should be really good for a majority of the rest of his contract if not all of it.

Trouba will likely be traded this offseason or next..

Zibby is locked in…. He needs to right the ship and start playing the way he has for the majority of his time here.

Kreider is probably a lifelong ranger. And is producing better to what he’s getting paid.

Panarin is the wildcard… we have him for 2 more seasons.
Do they resign him? Try to replace what he brings in UFA?? ( tall order)

Everyone else is under 30yrs old. Most if not all should stay the same or get better, talent/production wise…. This team has a bright future.
The farm isn’t loaded, but it’s far from baron either.

As you said, the east is wide open for THIS season. And we are playing well. We’re in the mix, that’s all that matters.
I’m hoping the decision by Drury n CO to hold on to all top assets rather then get a needle mover RW at the TDL doesn’t bite us in the ass.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Where do you think the team and franchise as a whole would be without panarin? 15-20 less points?

Night in and night out this guy brings his A game and competes to a higher level than anybody else on the team.

He is the greatest UFA signing in franchise history and easily top 3 in NY sports history. How many times can players come here in any sport and handle the bright lights and the pressure? Hes not only handled it but has probably exceeded expectations. Cant wait to see him this playoff run.
Wish he had of cut his hair last season.....

• Haha
Reactions: egelband

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Wish he had of cut his hair last season.....
Tough to say…
Definitely worse. But NYR as a franchise would never sit on that much Cap/money.
They would have def traded/signed someone else.
Jones or Ruhwedal as the 6th D if Gustafsson isn't healthy? Jones saw a lot of ice time in OT against Colorado when Fox didn't return after getting hit with the puck. Jones has established himself as a viable option for next season at $812,500. At the very least, Jones was raised his trade value if the Rangers wanted to go in that direction.

The Canadiens are looking to accelerate their rebuild. The Habs don't want to end up like of these teams stuck in the 10 year rebuild. Montreal has some good pieces. They need another top six forward. Caufield and Suzuki need help. Those players are 24 and 25 years old respectively. The Slovakian kid Slafkovsky has gotten better. They need Dach to stay healthy. The Habs acquired Newhook from the Avs for a late 1st and early second round pick. He missed 2-3 months with a high ankle sprain. Remember when Newhook was supposed to be the next great Boston College player. 2019 draft. The Rangers discussed a Kreider trade with the Avs. 19th pick in the draft. Newhook or Krebs. Newhook turned pro after his freshman season because Covid cancelled everything and nobody knew what would happen in 2020-21. Both of those players didn't develop the way people expected them to develop. Covid shortened or no seasons didn't help many players. They still have some bad contracts weighing them down inherited from Bergevin. Gallagher and Anderson. The Habs have a few extra first round picks. Gorton wants to make some moves. Montreal would move their picks in the right move and not just the Winnipeg first round pick. The Habs have some very good young D in their system. Go time in Montreal.
i would love to snag Guhle from them some how….
He’s a guy who I think who be ideal for a Fox partner…
MTL also has a loaded stable of D prospects and are in need of nhl ready Fwds
He’s going through the trials and tribulations of a sophomore slump this season, but he’s going to be a really good player.
Drury and gorton don’t like each other, so I don’t think they will be looking to deal tbh.
If NYR were to deal Kakko, ( not saying they should or will) Guhle would be the type of trade I’d want in return.

Reactions: egelband

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

Why can’t we just keep Jones instead of trading him for picks? He has and is establishing himself as a solid defenseman and adds puck movement element that is sorely missing from the rest of the d corps. he is super cheap and should continue to play minutes for us. Let Gus walk since most of his comps have him asking for 5m per year. We are not getting a first for Jones

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why can’t we just keep Jones instead of trading him for picks? He has and is establishing himself as a solid defenseman and adds puck movement element that is sorely missing from the rest of the d corps. he is super cheap and should continue to play minutes for us. Let Gus walk since most of his comps have him asking for 5m per year. We are not getting a first for Jones

A crazy idea would be to keep all 3 because they’re good.

______-Fox
Gustafsson-________
Jones-_______

Miller with Fox
Schneider with Gustafsson
Trouba with Jones

Trade Lindgren

Sign 2 good vet d-men as 7/8

Or if they can, trade Trouba and sign Demelo

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nothing wrong with having players with value. Jones is a good option for the Rangers next season at $812,500.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You can’t try to explain it with logic…..
Some are miserable when we win, miserable when we lose.

Truth is this team is set up to compete for the next 2-3 seasons and beyond.

Trocheck should be really good for a majority of the rest of his contract if not all of it.

Trouba will likely be traded this offseason or next..

Zibby is locked in…. He needs to right the ship and start playing the way he has for the majority of his time here.

Kreider is probably a lifelong ranger. And is producing better to what he’s getting paid.

Panarin is the wildcard… we have him for 2 more seasons.
Do they resign him? Try to replace what he brings in UFA?? ( tall order)

Everyone else is under 30yrs old. Most if not all should stay the same or get better, talent/production wise…. This team has a bright future.
The farm isn’t loaded, but it’s far from baron either.

As you said, the east is wide open for THIS season. And we are playing well. We’re in the mix, that’s all that matters.
I’m hoping the decision by Drury n CO to hold on to all top assets rather then get a needle mover RW at the TDL doesn’t bite us in the ass.
I'd argue that for a contending team we have a fantastic farm system.
We have a consensus top 15 prospect, and at least one middle 6 in hfd and 2 potential middle/bottom 6 (sykora and berard).
And we have our own 1st this year to continue to fill the prospect pool.

We shouldn't be comparing our prospect pools to teams like the devils, columbus, anahiem. Theyve been bad before we were, and are still bad (devils had one season where they weren't, and now theyre back to being bad).
Compare our farm system with Vancouver, Toronto etc.
They're barren and othmann might be the crown jewel of their farm system.

We have gaps in our system, but luckily we have no clear nhl spot for those gaps just yet anyways.
We need to get a future top 6 center, but those are usually taken high in the draft or take a while to develop.

Reactions: leetch99

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You truly love to see it.

There's one wide open spot. Top 6 RW. I know some would disagree, but I wouldn't try to sign anyone for the role and would pencil in starting out next season with Kakko there. Make a kid beat him out in camp if they can. If Otter or Berard seize it, then Kaapo's a sick 3RW anyway.

3C is uncertain. If Fil has another setback, then we need to sign one. It sucks, because our top 3 C heading into this season was insane. Just nothing in the cupboard. Let's say Wennberg signs Chytil's exact remaining contract for example. Either way, that leaves an opening at 3RW instead of "Top 6 RW," for Othmann, Berard, or something wild like Sykora to take.

Call me crazy, but Cuylle plays a very good "4th line game," even though he'd be a 3rd liner on most teams in the league. Shift him down to the 4th, and then there's a 2nd opening at 3 LW for another one of those kids next season.

One injury leads to a third opening. Perreault's timeline coincides with Panarin's expiration, so that's sort of a third or fourth opening reserved specifically for him in the future.

Work in Edstrom and obviously Rempe on the 4th line regardless.

We're not bursting at the seams on the wing quite yet, but approaching that status sure is fun! Our C pipeline is hurting, but if Filip Chytil gets to play hockey for a living again, then Edstrom is the perfect depth C and we have time to develop BMB or whoever.

Our D pipeline is hurting, but our NHL guys are overall so young as it is. Although Hartford is gonna be in a rough place on D next season, if not addressed. A lot of waiver eligible guys, and not a lot of prospects that are ready for AHL time.
If we sign Wennberg for that same cap hit as Chytil, we should all be smacked. From the organization employees to the fans. How many times can this player fool a team into giving him over 4 million. #endrant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad