Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
And you talk about the defense, fair enough, but Vesey being an absolute moron led directly to two goals. Love Jimmy, but he had an absolute laugher last night.

That won't happen too often.
Vesey was brutal, and I wouldn't object if he got scratched a game, but that was extremely out of the norm for him so I'm willing to give him a slide. Usually he is a very smart player.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Listening to the Rangers podcast with Larry Brooks you'd think Trouba is a shutdown defenseman the way Larry talked about him. :eek3:
I still think he gets too much flak on these boards. He’s overpaid by about 1.5 mill a season, but many of his prime UFA money making years were in the deal.

NYR should have absolutely no problem trading him this offseason or next should they desire.
There will be at least 5-10 teams looking to add his size/physical play/ mobility and puck moving skills to their D….
His current $$ is also lower than his cap hit which is a huge plus for budget teams looking to add a 30-32 year old leader that can log heavy minutes on a short term deal.
He was never really billed as a stay at home D. I’m not sure why many analysts/fans/announcers think that.
Even in WPG, he was a big guy who was mobile that can play nasty and move the puck.
By the minutes/situations he played, he was also pretty much a lock to add 30-40pts from the blue line.
I’m pretty sure moving him near the end of his deal has always been on the menu, I’ve said so for years….
It’s up to FO if they feel Schneider is ready to make the jump to top 4 or if they want to wait 1 more season….

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I still think he gets too much flak on these boards. He’s overpaid by about 1.5 mill a season, but many of his prime UFA money making years were in the deal.

NYR should have absolutely no problem trading him this offseason or next should they desire.
There will be at least 5-10 teams looking to add his size/physical play/ mobility and puck moving skills to their D….
His current $$ is also lower than his cap hit which is a huge plus for budget teams looking to add a 30-32 year old leader that can log heavy minutes on a short term deal.
He was never really billed as a stay at home D. I’m not sure why many analysts/fans/announcers think that.
Even in WPG, he was a big guy who was mobile that can play nasty and move the puck.
By the minutes/situations he played, he was also pretty much a lock to add 30-40pts from the blue line.
I’m pretty sure moving him near the end of his deal has always been on the menu, I’ve said so for years….
It’s up to FO if they feel Schneider is ready to make the jump to top 4 or if they want to wait 1 more season….

The problem is not stay at home defenseman vs. mobile defenseman. The problem is that we bleed chances against when he's on the ice.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The problem is not stay at home defenseman vs. mobile defenseman. The problem is that we bleed chances against when he's on the ice.
Not arguing his play this season… just what they categorize him as and continue to do…
Schneider is also not a stay at home D, but they will likely categorize him as 1 as well.
No Footes/Beukaboom s in this era really tbh

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Something is definitely not right with Kreider. So much so that Larry Brooks has gone back to the ol' tried and true "Did. You. See. Chris" schtick.

I would suggest asking Chris or the coach what might be going on. They may not answer truthfully, but you'll have at least asked the question.

"But as Zibanejad has been accelerating, Chris Kreider has been stuck in neutral for weeks. I don’t get it. In fact, No. 20’s play has deteriorated to the point that he was essentially benched for a large chunk of the second period in Boston last Thursday by a head coach in Peter Laviolette who all but never benches veterans.

Did. You. See. Chris. is now accompanied by multiple question marks after going nine games without a power-play goal and one goal overall. Something is off. Kreider has traditionally been a big-time playoff producer, recording 40 goals in 107 postseason contests.

In fact, his .373 goals per game rank third behind only Joe Pavelski and Alex Ovechkin among players who have been in at least 100 games since Kreider made his debut.

So that is comforting even if Kreider’s game has not been so much at all lately."

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Chris Kreider needs to shave his head. He stinks. He absolutely stinks. Ten months ago Artemi Panarin was public enemy number one. Public enemy number one. Everyone wanted Artemi Panarin out of town. The man shaves his head, gets his head on straight, and is having one of the greatest seasons in Rangers history. So I’ll say it again. Chris Kreider needs to shave his head. 877-337-6666, WFAN, I’ll take your calls now.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
And you talk about the defense, fair enough, but Vesey being an absolute moron led directly to two goals. Love Jimmy, but he had an absolute laugher last night.

That won't happen too often.

IMG_20240328_063752.jpg

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah but fancy stats said both roslovic & Duclair sucked, and not that they were on bad teams with no support or anything.
Don’t think Duclair would have been as good of a fit here….
He likes to cheat a lot to create offense, and His D is usually no existent.
I’m no fan of Roslovic, but for a 4th rounder, you’re not getting a needle moving winger unless he has a NMC and forces his way here ( Kane similar)….

Center was The FO main concern to address. Drury has been trying for a while…
Beyond having a type of guy he likes to draft, he’s traded for Copp, tried to sign Danault, signed trochek, and traded for Wennberg…..
I think chytil being fragile really screwed things up…. And as well as Brod/Edstrom have been, 1 is a rookie and 1 isn’t a full time nhler at 30 years old.

They wanted to get bigger/harder to play against for sure, but building up a responsible spine up the middle has been 1 of their top priorities…
I’m not sure how Henrique/Wennberg negotiations went and how long etc…. Word was he was sniffing around Guentzel too so who knows.
At the end of the day it was slim Pickens for what they were willing to trade for

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Chris Kreider needs to shave his head. He stinks. He absolutely stinks. Ten months ago Artemi Panarin was public enemy number one. Public enemy number one. Everyone wanted Artemi Panarin out of town. The man shaves his head, gets his head on straight, and is having one of the greatest seasons in Rangers history. So I’ll say it again. Chris Kreider needs to shave his head. 877-337-6666, WFAN, I’ll take your calls now.

Except WFAN doesn't talk hockey.

Reactions: NYR94

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Give Kreider a rest. No, I don't mean lay off the guy, I mean give him an actual rest. The race for 1st is not worth going into the playoffs with players lingering an issue. This is the best thing to happen to guys like Lindgren and Trouba who seems to be playing hurt quite often.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Give Kreider a rest. No, I don't mean lay off the guy, I mean give him an actual rest. The race for 1st is not worth going into the playoffs with players lingering an issue. This is the best thing to happen to guys like Lindgren and Trouba who seems to be playing hurt quite often.
Rest? The guy hasn’t broken a sweat in 2 months

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad