Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers were missing Trouba and Lindgren.

The Panthers were missing:
  • Barkov
  • Ekblad
  • Forsling
  • Kulikov

I'm not really sure what you are insinuating, because it's simply factual that the effect of their injury scratches was much higher than the effect of our injury scratches.
How about Chytil who is lost for the whole season?

The broader point is that with all of the noted "deficiencies" the Rangers are still among top-7 teams in the whole NHL anyway you want to rank them. Clearly other teams have their owns issues (and fans just like you only zero-in on those without context that EVERY team in this contender group has issues).

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
The Rangers were missing Trouba and Lindgren.

The Panthers were missing:
  • Barkov
  • Ekblad
  • Forsling
  • Kulikov

I'm not really sure what you are insinuating, because it's simply factual that the effect of their injury scratches was much higher than the effect of our injury scratches.
Like I said, it's just addition by subtraction for the Rangers since the Rangers just have bad players and apparently it doesn't matter if we lose players - every other team has the actual good players in the league. Missing Chytil too. And Fox is playing on one knee apparently.

What I'm insinuating is that it's silly to give leeway to Florida and not praise to the Rangers here. Regardless, it's one game. We'll see how playoffs shake out.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Like I said, it's just addition by subtraction for the Rangers since the Rangers just have bad players and apparently it doesn't matter if we lose players - every other team has the actual good players in the league. Missing Chytil too. And Fox is playing on one knee apparently.

What I'm insinuating is that it's silly to give leeway to Florida and not praise to the Rangers here. Regardless, it's one game. We'll see how playoffs shake out.
Counting players like Chytil, and Wheeler who will not return in the playoffs is missing the point.

The point is: In the playoffs, the Rangers will have to face tougher competition then the FLA and BOS teams that everyone is so proud of beating.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Counting players like Chytil, and Wheeler who will not return in the playoffs is missing the point.

The point is: In the playoffs, the Rangers will have to face tougher competition then the FLA and BOS teams that everyone is so proud of beating.
That’s not missing the point.
Injuries are injuries.
If you want to count short term and long term injuries differently for some nebulous reason, you’re gonna need to explain why.
A team starts a year with a specific roster formation, injuries happen, some long term, some short term.
Sometimes the replacement for the injured player outperform the injured players potential, but you’re still missing the depth they provided.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Counting players that will miss playoffs seems like THE point especially with how many people considered Chytil a key player. Those FLA players you listed are key to FLA - losing even 2 of them for playoffs would be a huge detriment to FLA.

Confused as to the "playing tougher competition" - Are you saying NYR are going to steamroll the East? Because the "tougher" competition is out West. Are you saying FLA/BOS will be tough competition once they get players back? Then that contradicts the whole "players missing playoffs doesn't matter" statement and applies to every team missing key players. It sounds like you think the Rangers, healthy or not, are a second tier pretender team and everyone else is the real deal. And that's fine, but I'd rather put my faith in my team than the other guys. I don't like taking my entertainment too seriously.

And the Rangers will be just as stiff competition for whoever they play. And all these teams will be doing it with injuries.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
That’s not missing the point.
Injuries are injuries.
If you want to count short term and long term injuries differently for some nebulous reason, you’re gonna need to explain why.
A team starts a year with a specific roster formation, injuries happen, some long term, some short term.
Sometimes the replacement for the injured player outperform the injured players potential, but you’re still missing the depth they provided.
Nebulous reason?

Those players on the Panthers will all be back for the playoffs...

Neither Chytil or Wheeler will be back for the playoffs...

Those are concrete facts.

Saying the Rangers beat the Panthers last game and then using that to measure their ability to beat the Panthers in the playoffs, with a full roster, is completely disingenuous.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Nebulous reason?

Saying the Rangers beat the Panthers last game and then using that to measure their ability to beat the Panthers in the playoffs, with a full roster, is completely disingenuous.
Soooo....if I understand you, dont get too happy since they beat a team that beat us in the regular season with their full lineup?

Gotta say that I'm happy to face the Bruins, Lightning, or Carolina now....you know, since we beat those teams the majority of times this year when they had their full rosters.

Or, its just silly to downgrade wins.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Nebulous reason?

And they won’t have any season ending injuries between now and the ECF?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You're not signing a relevant free agent without a trade clause in their contract. Offer more money if you want, it won't happen. You can pound your first all you want and it won't change anything.

You think Panarin and his agent are stupid enough to not push for that? You think Panarin is going to leave himself in a vulnerable position of being traded to f***ing Arizona for the last 4 years of his contract?

Free agents have paid their dues. Like it or not, they're the ones that have control over where they sign. You pull a NMC/NTC off the table and you're not signing anyone relevant in today's league.
I disagree to an extent and will take that chance.
Look at Hedman in TB. Don't believe he is not nmc'ed but he is taking less to help the team.

I am not saying, necessarily, we have to pay these guys less, depending on who and the situation.
But we can stick to our guns.
And we can offset your valid concerns in some cases by paying a premium.

So e.g., Zib was 8-ish, maybe he gave a small discount and maybe b'c it was long term he took a little less.
Now if Zib is ONLY gonna be guided by bottom line being in NYC/Rangers and that is >>> than dollar amount, then in that case and specific instance, those are his terms and we have to decide to accept or not.

But before going there, we can explore whether or not to do something like 11 x 3 and limited ntc.
That ^ is my pt.
That and we should make it a policy, no nmcs, as a policy.
We can offer extensive but not 111% workaround ntcs substitute where we want or are willing to negotiate. But no nmcs. Period.
That will push the issue and we will see.
I think we still get top guys.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Nebulous reason?

The Rangers lost to the Panthers full squad on 12/29 4-3 when Bonino and Pitlick were still getting big minutes on this team. Let's not read to much into a single game. Don't kid yourself, Rempe, Roslo, and Wennberg fit this team like a glove and the emergence of Jones is important as well.

We also have a coach that actually has a (gasp) system and will (gasp) make adjustments based on what the other team is doing. I highly doubt we see a repeat of last year in the playoffs.

You can certainly make the argument that Florida is the strongest team in the East but, if they are, it's not by much.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I disagree to an extent and will take that chance.
Look at Hedman in TB. Don't believe he is not nmc'ed but he is taking less to help the team.

I am not saying, necessarily, we have to pay these guys less, depending on who and the situation.
But we can stick to our guns.
And we can offset your valid concerns in some cases by paying a premium.

So e.g., Zib was 8-ish, maybe he gave a small discount and maybe b'c it was long term he took a little less.
Now if Zib is ONLY gonna be guided by bottom line being in NYC/Rangers and that is >>> than dollar amount, then in that case and specific instance, those are his terms and we have to decide to accept or not.

But before going there, we can explore whether or not to do something like 11 x 3 and limited ntc.
That ^ is my pt.
That and we should make it a policy, no nmcs, as a policy.
We can offer extensive but not 111% workaround ntcs substitute where we want or are willing to negotiate. But no nmcs. Period.
That will push the issue and we will see.
I think we still get top guys.
Hedman had a full NMC the first 5 years that became a modified one the last 3 years. He certainly didn't take a pay cut either seeing that his cap hit was over 10% the cap ceiling when he signed.

Bern most of these veteran players want term. They have families. They don't want to bounce around from team to team. Again, you pull the NMC off the table and then you're telling these high end free agents or players to f*** right off.

Reactions: Kendo

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Nothing was as bad as this..

View attachment 841584

Tuch LOVES Buffalo. This isn't the same as Eichel.

I have no doubt. I just think he’ll hate losing/wasting his prime playing years more…..
If Sabres are a bottom feeder again next season… I’d bet you’ll start to hear the rumors rumblings.
He’s only got 2 years left on this deal where he’s underpaid…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad