Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I heard he got sent down to the AHL, I don’t know why Nashville continues to play games with him every time I watch him he looks good. I think you’re onto something here.

I think Tomasino waiting in the A is more of a reason for them to trade Novak, despite being in the playoff mix.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
To me, Trouba’s fate will be directly tied to the teams playoff success (or lack thereof) this year. Trading your captain is a big deal. If the team succeeds this spring, all is well. Another quick exit and there will be a significant remodeling.

Trouba has not lived up to the projected growth that many of us expected. He gave the Rangers something they did not have when he arrived but the five year body of work has not evolved as hoped.

What you have to remember (and many here do not) is the culture of hockey. Trouba is a strong leader. He is highly respected in the room. I don’t know how the leadership group operates around hIm but I don’t see another strong captain in waiting (with the possible exception of Ryan Lindgren) I understand his shortcomings and he’s getting to the age where he will likely start to get worn down. A long playoff run will cover over a lot of these issues (And he would probably have to play well for that to happen) but a short, uninspired playoff run could cause the Rangers to consider acting.

i don’t share the enthusiasm for K’Andre Miller that many have. To me, he is very erratic and not showing the kind of growth I expected by his fourth year in the league.

If Trouba is indeed going to be moved, there will be considerable remodeling happening on the backend. I hope it doesn’t get to that point but if does, it has a chance to be a real rocky summer.
Trocheck stands out to me as a captain.

Trouba has not progressed and arguably regressed. His offensive metrics plummeted. His immobility is a major issue for the modern day.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
To me, Trouba’s fate will be directly tied to the teams playoff success (or lack thereof) this year. Trading your captain is a big deal. If the team succeeds this spring, all is well. Another quick exit and there will be a significant remodeling.

Well I think that's what everyone thinks, really. If we win a Cup, they can hang his jersey in the rafters.

I think pretty much everyone who is anti-Trouba is saying that he's bad enough that he's going to prevent us from winning a Cup (along with some other players, not just him). I think we are good enough everywhere else that we are a playoff team even if they trotted me out there at 3rd pair D instead of Trouba.

The thing is, I don't think we have had a year with him here that qualifies as a success.

We've made the playoffs twice, essentially. I don't count the play-in round year.

We got dispatched in the first round one year. Obvious failure.

We made it to the conference finals another year. Moderate failure? The goal is winning a Cup. We all know that. We have all seen this team make the Conference Finals and even Cup Finals before. And lose. That's not the goal. That wasn't the objective when the letter was sent out. It was to build a sustainable, long term contender.

I can't imagine a scenario that you define this team's post-season a success without a strong showing in the Cup Finals. Getting swept in 4 games or losing in 5 games wouldn't count. It will just signal you need real upgrades. And that's gonna be Trouba.

Trouba has not lived up to the projected growth that many of us expected. He gave the Rangers something they did not have when he arrived but the five year body of work has not evolved as hoped.
It's actually digressed. But the writing was always on the wall and people ignored warning signs because he was big and hit people.

Not smart.

What you have to remember (and many here do not) is the culture of hockey. Trouba is a strong leader. He is highly respected in the room. I don’t know how the leadership group operates around hIm but I don’t see another strong captain in waiting (with the possible exception of Ryan Lindgren) I understand his shortcomings and he’s getting to the age where he will likely start to get worn down. A long playoff run will cover over a lot of these issues (And he would probably have to play well for that to happen) but a short, uninspired playoff run could cause the Rangers to consider acting.

The culture of hockey is an executive thing that they cling to, to insulate themselves from having to come up with inspiration. These are almost exclusively 20-year-old kids. They are "with it," in terms of the new age and changing culture. They will be just fine if their captain is moved.

Am I saying it will have no impact at all? No. But the impact it would have is less than the huge on-ice boost we'd get replacing a sub-replacement level player.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
*whispers* they don't think the defense is a problem

Counterpoint. Laviolette is hesitant to put Trouba and Lindgren together, because he knows how bad theyve both been. That's really the only adjustment he can make outside of splitting Gus and Schneider (which is robbing Peter to pay Paul)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I heard he got sent down to the AHL, I don’t know why Nashville continues to play games with him every time I watch him he looks good. I think you’re onto something here.
I’m always right, Rangers are just too scared to trust me. I’ve been a huge fan of his since his OHL days in Niagra.

He doesn’t require waivers, so it’s easy for them to keep him playing a lot with Milwaukee, who have been unreal lately. Brunette doesn’t trust him for whatever reason, so he can’t stick in their lineup despite producing in both a 4th line role and when he’s been moved up in the top-6. Won’t be 22 until July, so he’s a perfect short- and long-term addition for the roster. It really makes too much sense.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Something around Laf, Perreault, and a 1st I think would get their attention. Look this is a 26 year old superstar center, the last time we missed out on one of those wasn’t great. If there is a possibility that another one is out there the Rangers need to truly explore it. It also depends on what Pettersson wants and maybe the acquisition cost isn’t as high as we think.
Gabe to me is a tough one, bc if we make that deal for Petey then how are you filling out a competitive roster without becoming the leafs? you need a salary going out.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I’m always right, Rangers are just too scared to trust me. I’ve been a huge fan of his since his OHL days in Niagra.

He doesn’t require waivers, so it’s easy for them to keep him playing a lot with Milwaukee, who have been unreal lately. Brunette doesn’t trust him for whatever reason, so he can’t stick in their lineup despite producing in both a 4th line role and when he’s been moved up in the top-6. Won’t be 22 until July, so he’s a perfect short- and long-term addition for the roster. It really makes too much sense.
The solution is simple. Trouba for Tomasino and one of nashvilles RHD in the offseason.

Reactions: mas0764

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Depends on what the player (Pettersson) wants. If he is indicating he's going to test the waters, he may be moved.

Matthew Tkachuk is one of the best players in hockey and was moved for Huberdeau and Weegar.

Zibanejad and Trouba or Lindgren isn't comparable if we throw in firsts?

There were plenty of people who said it was an overpay at the time.

His digression has made it that much worse.
huberdeau was coming off 100+ pt season and weager is a top 4 d man on any team. my point is they didn't trade him for magic beans. if van is trading him they aren't taking a step back after this year. it will be for NHL players that can keep them in the upper part of the conference. so who is nyr sending them. it isn't trouba and I don't see Mika waiving in any world...

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Gabe to me is a tough one, bc if we make that deal for Petey then how are you filling out a competitive roster without becoming the leafs? you need a salary going out.
We’d still have Othmann, Berard, Sykora plus Cuylle is already here as far as young wingers go. Goodrow traded or bought out, who knows about Chytil he might be on LTIR and if he’s not he could move to the wing or be part of the trade as well. I’m not too concerned about the money part of it, there are ways to make it work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad