Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
but if you are van what are you actually taking from nyr? they wouldn't even want fox with Quinn there. I doubt they want Mika who has control of his situation. I just struggle to see it. When chytil was healthy I could have seen at a different time something like chytil, laffy, Schneider, and a 1st but that isn't happening anymore. chytil is damaged goods (hate for him personally what he is going through) and I would be surprised if he plays even till age 30 at this point. I am happy he got a big-ish contract that takes care of him for life prior to the injury.

Depends on what the player (Pettersson) wants. If he is indicating he's going to test the waters, he may be moved.

Matthew Tkachuk is one of the best players in hockey and was moved for Huberdeau and Weegar.

Zibanejad and Trouba or Lindgren isn't comparable if we throw in firsts?

That Trouba contr Looked fine when it was signed pre Covid.

Anyone saying otherwise is full of it.

There were plenty of people who said it was an overpay at the time.

His digression has made it that much worse.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I think it’s putting lipstick on a pig at this point

Fundamental players need to be moved. Lindgren and Trouba are playing like 3rd pair defenseman and they are killing our top 4.

Mika needs to be waaaay better.

I don’t think rentals fix that

Agree.

Don't waste.

If you are going to make a trade, swing big at a guy like Pettersson. Or, just keep acquiring assets.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
but if you are van what are you actually taking from nyr? they wouldn't even want fox with Quinn there. I doubt they want Mika who has control of his situation. I just struggle to see it. When chytil was healthy I could have seen at a different time something like chytil, laffy, Schneider, and a 1st but that isn't happening anymore. chytil is damaged goods (hate for him personally what he is going through) and I would be surprised if he plays even till age 30 at this point. I am happy he got a big-ish contract that takes care of him for life prior to the injury.
Something around Laf, Perreault, and a 1st I think would get their attention. Look this is a 26 year old superstar center, the last time we missed out on one of those wasn’t great. If there is a possibility that another one is out there the Rangers need to truly explore it. It also depends on what Pettersson wants and maybe the acquisition cost isn’t as high as we think.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If that's the price I'd pay it now and then look to re-sign Novak

Yeah Novak makes a lot of sense as Chytil insurance/Goodrow replacement going forward. And Jones is blocked here plus Lauzon fits well as the 6/7. Not a guy who needs to play everyday but he can give us a different look.

Kakko at 2RW and Edstrom at 4C for today's practice is interesting.

Reactions: NYR Viper

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Give me an effing break with this Pettersson stuff. Some hot take merchant on Vancouver radio waiting for their teams first cold streak to say "uh oh Petey wants out". And of course our board eats it up because all we do is covet other team's players, despite the fact that we're lectured on "stockpiling assets" once a week if we dare to move the 28th overall pick. Blasphemy!

But I digress. To the people saying we are "fundamentally flawed", please stop. If we are, everyone is. I fully expect Drury to add a RW, C & D for reasonable costs. I like that we are in on Novak. I like that we are in on the Seattle guys. I can see our first going when push comes to shove but between our picks, Jones, Robertson, Berard, & Sykora, Drury can meaningfully improve the team's depth this year and next if he chooses.
Some people just love to point out this teams short comings like every other top team is perfect. It's like a religion to them. Yet here we are at game 59 in a virtual tie for most points in the league with Vancouver, Boston, and Florida. Go figure.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Some people just love to point out this teams short comings like every other top team is perfect. It's like a religion to them. Yet here we are at game 59 in a virtual tie for most points in the league with Vancouver, Boston, and Florida. Go figure.

All the while talking about trading our top center for Vancouver's top center. People live in fantasyland.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah Novak makes a lot of sense as Chytil insurance/Goodrow replacement going forward. And Jones is blocked here plus Lauzon fits well as the 6/7. Not a guy who needs to play everyday but he can give us a different look.

Kakko at 2RW and Edstrom at 4C for today's practice is interesting.

I wonder if Lauzon would be insurance for a Lindgren trade in the off-season. Big guy who can skate, signed at a reasonable deal for a couple of seasons...

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I just can't for the life of me understand, why they won't experiment with breaking up Kreider and Zibanejad. At least do it for the fans, so we can quit bitching and moaning about it.

Cuylle-Zib-Vesey
Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Brod-Kakko
Edström-Badrow-Rempe

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
To me, Trouba’s fate will be directly tied to the teams playoff success (or lack thereof) this year. Trading your captain is a big deal. If the team succeeds this spring, all is well. Another quick exit and there will be a significant remodeling.

Trouba has not lived up to the projected growth that many of us expected. He gave the Rangers something they did not have when he arrived but the five year body of work has not evolved as hoped.

What you have to remember (and many here do not) is the culture of hockey. Trouba is a strong leader. He is highly respected in the room. I don’t know how the leadership group operates around hIm but I don’t see another strong captain in waiting (with the possible exception of Ryan Lindgren) I understand his shortcomings and he’s getting to the age where he will likely start to get worn down. A long playoff run will cover over a lot of these issues (And he would probably have to play well for that to happen) but a short, uninspired playoff run could cause the Rangers to consider acting.

i don’t share the enthusiasm for K’Andre Miller that many have. To me, he is very erratic and not showing the kind of growth I expected by his fourth year in the league.

If Trouba is indeed going to be moved, there will be considerable remodeling happening on the backend. I hope it doesn’t get to that point but if does, it has a chance to be a real rocky summer.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
To me, Laf is a checkmark. 3 years worth of data projects him out to be significantly worse in the playoffs. That wont be the case and one of the flaws of this model.

Kakko does a lot, but he will need to produce and come up with some big goals for the team in the dance. Cuylle should be replaced by a top winger, so that should become a check mark. But regardless, with Chytils injury - the forward depth is really struggling in this regard. A healthy Chytil, with the way he was projecting may have put them over the top. Dont discount how big of an injury that is for this team. For all we know, HE could be this teams #1 center at this point, or something near it. Even if hes a #2, now you have 3 of them in your lineup.

The biggest issues are Trouba & Mika. Especially Mika. He has the ability but hasnt been the player they signed that deal to. He does a lot of things well but ideally hes a 2nd line center. 4 years ago he had over 40 goals in the same amount of games and was a scoring machine. They need that player in the playoffs, or something similar if they are going to win it all - and it needs to be consistent. Thats doubtful and a huge knock on their chances. They say Drury needs to find a winger for him to "unlock his potential". Im doubtful there's a solution in that, Mika is who he is.

To me, this team is good enough to get to a conference final. They could go further if Igor goes into God mode again, but the sum of their parts really isnt championship calibre. They could inch themselves closer by adding the right players at the deadline, but I still dont think that can make up for their shortcomings.

Unfortunately, when the shit hits the fan in the playoffs and the level goes up 2 notches, its a different game and their weaknesses are exposed. I know a lot of fans are gonna be jazzed up come April, as they should - but the fans who are really paying attention know this team/core has flaws and they'll need a little more puck luck and good fortune to get to 16 wins.

I also think Drury knows this 100% and its why they moved heaven and earth to buy a lottery ticket in Kane in last year. I'd expect 2 or 3 players to reinforce things, but they just dont have enough cap space to make much of difference. Listen, anything is possible and ill be tuning in like everyone else. But on paper things just arent there right now.

For those who dont have the Athletic here is the chart and the basis:

View attachment 825964

Stanley Cup Checklist Legend

Red X: Falls below the range entirely

Gray checkmark: Passable, but below the average champion

Black checkmark: Above average relative to the average Cup winner

Gold checkmark: Exceeds the range entirelyView attachment 825969
Florida is the only team with all the boxes checked

Florida is definitely a step ahead but I knew that without the fancy chart above. Still, pretty interesting stuff.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Trouba is a strong leader. He is highly respected in the room. I don’t know how the leadership group operates around him but I don’t see another strong captain in waiting
Should have done it earlier, but Kreider is the leader of this team. You want a captain, there he is.

Reactions: bernmeister
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad