Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part VIII: Dilly Dilly - Lets Tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
You have that backwards.

But most likely last year doesn’t matter anyway.
Smith was glued to the left side before getting sent down for the final time. The coaches didn’t trust him anymore, much less on his not-natural side

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
No, we'll start him out of position to accommodate Staal and everyone will blame Smith.
The difference being that Staal has never been advertised as a RD and therefore more valuable. Smith has, and failed spectacularly. No rookie should play out of position to accommodate Smith in the lineup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The difference being that Staal has never been advertised as a RD and therefore more valuable. Smith has, and failed spectacularly. No rookie should play out of position to accommodate Smith in the lineup.

1)Smith is a RD and Hajek is a LD. Why would we switch them to accommodate anybody?

2)Like I said, our only natural NHL LD are Skjei and Staal. Hajek should be a shoo-in if he's good enough to play at this level.

Smith has always, always been a RD. He only moved because McDonagh got hurt, not to "accommodate" him.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
1)Smith is a RD and Hajek is a LD. Why would we switch them to accommodate anybody?

2)Like I said, our only natural NHL LD are Skjei and Staal. Hajek should be a shoo-in if he's good enough to play at this level.

Smith has always, always been a RD. He only moved because McDonagh got hurt, not to "accommodate" him.
This is just not true. Smith has played substantial stretches on LD, and has never been “a RD”, but rather touted as a LD that is capable of playing RD. He played more games in NYR and HFD last season as a LD than as a RD, and it has nothing to do with McD.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is just not true. Smith has played substantial stretches on LD, and has never been “a RD”, but rather touted as a LD that is capable of playing RD. He played more games in NYR and HFD last season as a LD than as a RD, and it has nothing to do with McD.

What defense pairing got lost on the bench by AV?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

In 2017-18 Smith's most common partner was Nick Holden (left-handed).

In 2016-17 Smith's most common partners are Niklas Kronwall (left-handed) and Xavier Ouellet (left-handed).

His partner in college was Ryan McDonagh (left-handed).

For all intents and purposes, Brendan Smith is right-handed.

Yes, he spent some time at LD with the Wings when he was paired with Mike Green for a year, but RD is his natural side. It always has been. I don't know why this continues to confound people.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think there is a real question as to whether Pionk, ADA, or Hajek are capable of top-four minutes at the moment. In the immediate, the drop-off betw Shattenkirk and Pionk is less than the one between Skjei (who probably shouldn’t be top pairing) and ANY of the LD options. In this sense, the greater need is on LD. Down the road-2, 3 seasons from now-we’re much deeper on LD than we are on RD. It’s two different problems for two different periods of time.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
In 2017-18 Smith's most common partner was Nick Holden (left-handed).

In 2016-17 Smith's most common partners are Niklas Kronwall (left-handed) and Xavier Ouellet (left-handed).

His partner in college was Ryan McDonagh (left-handed).

For all intents and purposes, Brendan Smith is right-handed.

Holden was playing a lot of RD last season. And Smith was playing LD in Hartford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad