Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Continue.

CI2R0ITWsAAAQFC.jpg

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not sure I see center option out there I like in the free agent bin.

A trade seems like the only possible scenario if they're looking to bring someone to the roster who isn't already on it.

Not sure I see that happening until they know what they have on defense.

As of right now, Z and Hayes are set in the 1-2 slot, for better or worse.

I think the hope is that Desharnais more closely resembles the 2016 or even 2015 version of himself. Personally, at this point, I think Andersson is going to get a long look to make the club. I'd give him a 70 percent chance of making it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What do you guys anticipate for Shattenkirk stats-wise for next year? Will he be used in a similar role to Yandle or will he be given free reign?

Have to decided which two to keep between Hedman, Ristolainen, and Shattenkirk. Initially was leaning towards the first two, but if Shattenkirk gets more ice time, he could potentially produce some strong numbers.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
shattenkirk will be playing with Mcdonagh on the 1st pair and #1 PP minutes.. I'm expecting a pretty big season from him..

too bad our centers will be the downfall tho.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
shattenkirk will be playing with Mcdonagh on the 1st pair and #1 PP minutes.. I'm expecting a pretty big season from him..

This. I can see honestly see a 50-55 point season from Shatty (assuming he quickly adjusts to NY and AV's system, plus actually being used properly).

Center depth is what worries me as well this upcoming season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There are teams in this league that drive offense from their defense. They also don't have amazing forward depth. The Rangers appear to be leaning in that direction at least for this season.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Shattenkirk has been a consistent 40's guy and he's never (apart from his brief time in Washington) played on a team with great offensive forward depth--but pretty much always on a team with offensive D in St. Louis. His situation in New York is not all that unlike his situation in St. Louis...so I would expect 40's and if he managed to get into the 50's that's just gravy.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

I think Shattenkirk has all the tools to help drive the offense much better than what we've seen in the past. 40+ points is definitely my expectation for him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would say 45 points would be a successful season. Anything more would be fantastic but I think he may have some growing pains in this system.

Or he's come in and score 60...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am surprised by the amount of worry from being without Stepan next season.

Without Zibanejad last season we won 15 of 24 which is on pace for over 100 pts.

Center line-up used where (according to Loffen):
Step/Hayes/OL/Hrivik, Step/Hayes/Miller/OL and Step/Hayes/OL/Pirri

I am getting some flake for mentioning Lindberg, deservingly so maybe, my point is just kind of if we can survive without Step like we did without Zib we will be alright. However -- it would have been tougher last year without both Step and OL. Hopefully DD can replace the later.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
we were 4th in goals last season with stepan as our 1C and lindy as the sometime 4C

step had 55 points and 38 assists in 81 games. 39/69/108 last 2 years. 54 pps.

lindy 20 points and 12 assists in 65 games. 21/27/48 last 2 years. 24 pps

thats what we are missing. it can be replaced.

were a balanced team. 10 players scored double digits in goals. 8 guys with 15 or more. 9 guys with 20 or more assists. this team can score with or with out 21 & 24.

can DD put up 24 points ? i think so.

can mika put up 54 points ? pretty sure he can if healthy.

can we move jtmiller to center and can he provide a true 3C 40-50 point season ? yup, think he can.

can lias andersson put up numbers at the 3 or 4 ? so far so good.

bottom line, we have some depth at wing, we can move miller to the middle where he's played most of his career from juniors, world tourneys and even some in the pros. can he be our 3C ? i think he can.

im not nearly as worried as some here are. i think this team will be much better defensively, im expecting a solid season from henrik and if needed, we can strengthen the middle with a deal down the road.

mika
hayes
miller/LA
DD

thats how we start the season and see how it goes. and thats not that bad.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
ODC- Further to that, I've said this a few times before, imagine if JT Miller played for another team? It would be a wet dream for us to get him right now. Young 20's. Natural center. Scored what close to 60 last season. And so forth.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Nashville

Except that Nashville has by the far the most offensive Dcore in the league and our addition of Shattenkirk does not bring us into contention to be one of those teams. I completely agree that we seem to be headed in that direction this season, but it just sucks to see that we really do not have much offensive prowess on D unless Shatty and Tony D really step it up and Skjei continues to play the way he did last season. Staal couldnt power an offense if his life depended on it and i doubt Holden has it in him to score as much as he did last year. McD tends to be on the defensive side too lately so i dont see him pioneering the offense past that first stretch pass. I dont think we have the formula quite right to have an offensive D but i do think our powerplay will prosper.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
the key for miller is his maturity and ability to control the center of the ice and play in all 3 zones.

his O game has evolved. he's more natural now with the puck and is a very underrated passer. he's bigger and stronger and has game confidence he lacked before. a move back to pivot seems logical.

i believe he's our 3C for this season and i believe we can move him there and still have plenty on the edge.

well see what happens, but really are any of the other FA options out there better than our own jtmiller ?

dont think so.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Except that Nashville has by the far the most offensive Dcore in the league and our addition of Shattenkirk does not bring us into contention to be one of those teams. I completely agree that we seem to be headed in that direction this season, but it just sucks to see that we really do not have much offensive prowess on D unless Shatty and Tony D really step it up and Skjei continues to play the way he did last season. Staal couldnt power an offense if his life depended on it and i doubt Holden has it in him to score as much as he did last year. McD tends to be on the defensive side too lately so i dont see him pioneering the offense past that first stretch pass. I dont think we have the formula quite right to have an offensive D but i do think our powerplay will prosper.

Shattenkirk doesn't have to really step it up to be an offensive prescense on D. He's already been one for years.

And Skjei just had a tremendous rookie reason offensively.

We could definitely have one of the best d corps for driving offense depending on how McD looks free from Girardi and how DeAngelo looks.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

when you have shattenkirk, you have one of the best offensive dmen in the league. a point producer, a possession guy and a guy who generates offensive from the back end. his numbers support that.

add a brady skjei who took a huge step last season with added responsibility and a guy like ADA on the 3rd pair, and you have half the defense with the ability to generate offense. thats pretty solid.

27, 42 and 18 just need to play D.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The issue isn't with Miller's offensive game as a C, it's whether he can play a reliable defensive game. I think he can do it, but there's gonna be an ugly learning curve at first

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The issue isn't with Miller's offensive game as a C, it's whether he can play a reliable defensive game. I think he can do it, but there's gonna be an ugly learning curve at first

I think he'll be OK. Guys going to be 24, he's got a handle for the game at this point. Put Grabner on his line and he'll have a speedy defensive player on his line

Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Buchnevich-Hayes-Nash
Vesey-Miller-Grabner
Puempel-Deharnais-Farnham
Spare 13th
Fast on IR

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal/Bereglazov-Bereglazov/DeAngelo
Staal/DeAngelo/Bereglazov

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The big questions for this team are C depth and whether or not AV uses Staal appropriately.

If MZ or KH gets hurt for any length of time, we're in trouble. If Staal is playing top 4 we're in trouble. Stay away from those two situations and I think the squad is a comfortable playoff contender.

I expect a D for C trade at some point.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Less than 45 points would be extremely disappointing given the PP time Shattenkirk will get and the fact that other defensemen on this team will lose production because of changing roles (Skjei, McDonagh)

That said, the thing I am most interested to see this year is if the Corsi people are correct in saying replacing Girardi with Shatt on McDonagh's right side completely changes the flow of play on the ice when our top unit is out at even strength.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If the Rangers carry DeAngelo and Shattenkirk, on top of substituting Shattenkirk and Smith in place of Klein and Girardi that's a much better group. A teams defense doesn't need to put up 40 points a piece to help drive offense.

Moving the puck quickly and efficiently will lead to more offensive chances. Better lateral movement at the blue line will lead to more offensive chances. On top of that, Shattenkirk and DeAngelo are better offensive options than this team has had from the blue for many years

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
There are teams in this league that drive offense from their defense. They also don't have amazing forward depth. The Rangers appear to be leaning in that direction at least for this season.

QFT. They will run a 5 man cycle in the O-Zone, and send 4 in on the rush. Should make for an entertaining team.

A couple of things to consider with this system:

One you need speed and forwards that know their rotations and can skate backwards.

Two you need consistent back-checkers... which I would assume AV would shorten shifts to ensure that stays consistent... I think he will.

Three, on a 5 man cycle, you need a net front presence at all times... which the Rangers can facilitate.

Combine those factors, and a trigger happy d-corps that moves pucks towards the net, and you have a great offensive system that is hard to defend. Outside of CAR and CLB of all teams, there aren't teams in the East that can match that shift in and shift out.

Problem for the Rangers imo will be on the PK and odd man rushes this year. So protecting leads is more of a concern for me than scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad