Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXVI - On the Brink of Wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I really don’t understand people saying they’ll wait for the facts before they judge. Judge what? They put a $10m, 55 pt d-man on f***ing waivers.
They didn’t do that for fun.

It doesn’t matter if you think it’s fair. Even if stories come out, it will incomplete, without full context. Especially when it comes to something like being a problem to the chemistry and locker room. You could sit there and sat “oh that’s not a big deal, that’s overblown” but it doesn’t matter a bit.

I really don’t know how else to say this other than this is a rare occasion where there isn’t much debate. They decided he was such an issue he had to be gone. You don’t get to be the judge of whether what he did rises to the level of waivers.

While I like your post as it's logical, whatever he did apparently did not raise to the level of contract termination. Therefor whatever happened also could not have been on the level of some other stuff that we have seen contracts terminated for. That is not to defend him in any way, more so just logically if they had grounds to terminate they would have gone that route instead it seems.

Which then leads to the next question, if the Rangers had any inkling this may turn out as it did, why did they go two years when they could have forced a one year deal this past off-season? Heck they could have just not qualified him let him walk and used that cap space elsewhere.

I don't have any answers, yet this has always seemed to be a building situation rather than an improving one, they seemed to have handled this up until this point in about the most wishy washy way possible.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Skjei got us a 1st rounder and he was arguably worse Dman than ADA.

Sometimes it only takes one team.

But let’s also remember that 3 months ago much of this board wanted little to do with notion of moving ADA for someone like Monahan, or wanted a big return for him.

So even if we assume the Rangers had an offer of a first rounder floating around out there, the reality is that a significant section of this board would’ve crucified Gorton.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Can we all at least agree that we were expecting the Rangers to be a focal point for the NHL this season and it really sucks that, of course, it will now be because:

1. We suck
2. Our lottery picks are underperforming
3. The team is in complete meltdown because of our talented, controversial podcast host.

It’s very hard to be a fan of this team, and we all choose to do this together, differences aside.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What a aptly named thread title.

Also @Machinehead, Every time I read your name. Machinehead gets to playing in my head. When it came out I used sing it like. “ gotta Mushyhead it’s better then the rest” so thanks for the smiles in this thread. :thumbu:
See you have it right, I'm named after the song. I do quite like the band as well, though. It's a whole thing.

I'm glad somebody is enjoying this.

I know it's off the rails, and the mods will do what they do if need be, it just gets hard for me to watch. I want people to be better to each other. If being kinder and more accepting in canceling you, that'd be a you problem, sorry.

Also, while I'm talking to the mods -hi there!- why don't we just get the DeAngelo thread back? That's what we're talking about anyway.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

But let’s also remember that 3 months ago much of this board wanted little to do with notion of moving ADA for someone like Monahan, or wanted a big return for him.

So even if we assume the Rangers had an offer of a first rounder floating around out there, the reality is that a significant section of this board would’ve crucified Gorton.
Rightfully so IMO. Of course in hindsight it looks like a poor decision but it wasn't.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
While I like your post as it's logical, whatever he did apparently did not raise to the level of contract termination. Therefor whatever happened also could not have been on the level of some other stuff that we have seen contracts terminated for. That is not to defend him in any way, more so just logically if they had grounds to terminate they would have gone that route instead it seems.

Which then leads to the next question, if the Rangers had any inkling this may turn out as it did, why did they go two years when they could have forced a one year deal this past off-season? Heck they could have just not qualified him let him walk and used that cap space elsewhere.

I don't have any answers, yet this has always seemed to be a building situation rather than a improving one, they seemed to have handled this up until this point in about the most wishy washy way possible.
Just to address the bolded in particular, @Edge did mention that the problems had experienced a meaningful exacerbation in recent weeks.

Why that might be, we can only guess...

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Can we all at least agree that we were expecting the Rangers to be a focal point for the NHL this season and it really sucks that, of course, it will now be because:

1. We suck
2. Our lottery picks are underperforming
3. The team is in complete meltdown because of our talented, controversial podcast host.

It’s very hard to be a fan of this team, and we all choose to do this together, differences aside.

Me coming over from watching the Adam Gase Jets and getting excited about this season for the Rangers.

upload_2021-1-31_23-42-55.gif

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I don't have any answers, yet this has always seemed to be a building situation rather than an improving one, they seemed to have handled this up until this point in about the most wishy washy way possible.

Upon reflection I'm sure there was some level of optimism that last season he had "put everything behind him." Additionally his production last year was just too rich, and I'm sure they thought the additional term would be seen as beneficial with any potential suitors given they were 99% looking to move him anyway due to Trouba/Fox/Lundqvist.

It would also not be surprising if the last year was not especially good for DeAngelo's "personality." This thread is all the evidence you need that tensions are at an all time high across the entire country and world. This fits with what Edge mentioned, that the situation appears to have deteriorated drastically in the last 6 weeks or so.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
People didn't believe the puck thing because it's bizarre but I know people who know Drew Doughty, and Drew Doughty would do that. :laugh:

Not for sinister reasons, just because he's mentally in 5th grade.

Thats more or less the impression I get about DeAngelo frankly.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

We all knew he was getting moved. No one could anticipate this though. This is the worst possible outcome

Any news on David Quinn front? Are there doubts/questions seeping in?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
It boggles the mind that folks are still working SO hard to try to defend Tony. Or some part of Tony. Or one specific act of Tony’s even though yeah he probably did some stuff but at least not this one thing so how dare you accuse him of that let’s focus on that stupid blogger what about him huh you guys what about him.

His actions, in private, out of view of cameras and reporters, were such that they inspired the team to cut bait on him 8 games into a brand spanking new 2 year, $9.6MM contract.

If you’re arguing in favor of that guy, you’re on the wrong side of the argument. Period.

FFS, people.
Yah, like I really don’t think I care that Adam Herman made up a story about taking a puck.

A player on the team became so unhinged about current events not based in reality that he tried to fight a teammate immediately after a game ended and had to be stopped by other teammates that wanted to beat the shit out of him for even trying and then was waived less than a day later. All while being 8 games into a guaranteed contract that would pay him more money than any of us would see in our entire lives.

I don’t give a shit about a puck tbh. The events that brought us to Puckgate are f***ing wild.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009

If the team didn't want him and wasn't committed to him then he should have been moved for something. What is happening now is a disgrace and much worse than being upset with the return.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

He should get even more crucified for losing ADA for nothing. Most fans should be pissed how this was handled. Many teams had issues with players but they tried to keep it quiet while trying to trade them. Weren't several Senator players in trouble for saying something about the coach yet they still traded them for very good value.

Reactions: mas0764 and Sayba

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This shits been going on FOR YEARS with this guy. He came here 10 cents on the dollar. As a reclamation project. He had issues with both coaches. There’s been numerous issues. Those are facts.

If you don’t want to believe it, that’s on you. Posters here who used to think D’Angelos SWAG was our biggest asset in here trying to play the “well I’m just asking questions trying to get the full picture”. please.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This shits been going on FOR YEARS with this guy. He came here 10 cents on the dollar. As a reclamation project. He had issues with both coaches. There’s been numerous issues. Those are facts.
There were well documented issues with him and the Tampa Bay leadership group as well. That’s the reason he got shipped out of FL to begin with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We all knew he was getting moved. No one could anticipate this though. This is the worst possible outcome

Any news on David Quinn front? Are there doubts/questions seeping in?

No, not really.

This issue is an ADA thing and not a DQ thing. I suspect the captains basically said, “enough is enough, we can’t do this anymore.”

As for the play of the team - the feeling within the organization (and in most parts of the league) is that this was an already suspect, transitional roster that is now dealing with 2 of its 4 centers either being hurt or dealing with lingering issues, and a defense that was always suspect.

There’s a general feeling that the team to this point has basically been a .500 team. While not great, there is a feeling they’re better than the record.

I’ve yet to hear a single concern about the play of the Rangers younger talent or the way they are being brought along.

So right now, regardless of fan opinion, DQ really isn’t on the hot seat. Now that could certainly change, and change fairly quick, but we aren’t there yet.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
In Adam Herman’s quest for ultimate wokeness he did a grave disservice to K’Andre and brought a young black player into a story for seemingly no reason. Now K’Andre has to deal with being a part of this story. Way to go.

This was what irked me the most and I'm glad the Rangers and his agent both refuted this at the first opportunity because it's just not fair to K'andre to be trotted out as some helpless victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad