Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXV - French disconnect in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm sure his performance last night gave some GM's pause but probably not to the point that they're going to pull out of the mix. The book on him being a competitor is pretty clear. So if he's dogging it there's a clear indication that the situation has gone south. I get the impression that the whole "clear the air with the room" thing didn't go well and a lot of PLD's teammates are giving him the cold shoulder. Nobody wants to hear that a guy doesn't want to be there unless it's a damn good reason. Like a family issue or something? Sure, but "I don't like Columbus and want a bigger stage" is basically a middle finger to the guys who have carved out a career there. I can't imagine that Folingo in particular took kindly to that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Using last night as a reason to not trade for PLD is hilarious and dumb.

Right.

But there are plenty of reasons to monitor this one from the sidelines while letting someone else put their best offer out there first.

Throwing Kakko into the pot from the start (or really at all, but especially from the start) would be dumb and horrendous asset management.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He's a professional athlete making $5M a year during a pandemic where there are people who broke off their @$$. This sounds like a lot of excuses. He sees guys have left in the past and wants out, so he had no problem taking the money. How about playing hard for your organization, city, and fans until they move you? Where does this intentional effort help boost his value?

Well, one, I don’t think he necessarily cares about boosting his value and Columbus getting a good return. That actually makes the team he’s going to weaker. He made the request in the summer after 10 points in 10 games in the playoffs and his value was sky high. But, more significant, it was really one shift and, watching it, the only egregious part is the final 8 seconds, to include the line change. He’s still 55% on faceoffs, has about a hit and block per game, has a goal. People have said he hasn’t been giving 100% this season, but he also certainly hasn’t been giving 10% like in the end of that clip. It’s an isolated moment and I do imagine there was likely a confrontation or conflict right before it that led to a shitty attitude on that shift. He’s been literally lauded for playing hard for his organization since the day he stepped foot in the NHL. He’s valued so highly, in general, because even though his point totals in Columbus don’t jump off the page he’s known as an in your face, hard competitor who gives 110%. I don’t disagree that the behavior is bad, but I also don’t assume it’s just one sided, he’s being a baby. I imagine the situation between he and Torts is at a boiling point.

Reactions: Anthony5967

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I'm sure his performance last night gave some GM's pause but probably not to the point that they're going to pull out of the mix. The book on him being a competitor is pretty clear. So if he's dogging it there's a clear indication that the situation has gone south. I get the impression that the whole "clear the air with the room" thing didn't go well and a lot of PLD's teammates are giving him the cold shoulder. Nobody wants to hear that a guy doesn't want to be there unless it's a damn good reason. Like a family issue or something? Sure, but "I don't like Columbus and want a bigger stage" is basically a middle finger to the guys who have carved out a career there. I can't imagine that Folingo in particular took kindly to that.

I also think the real reason isn’t actually the bigger stage but Torts himself, and I can imagine a player being put on the spot in the room and asked to say why he wants out has a tough time saying “because f*** you, specifically, John Tortorella” and so the situation gets even worse.

Reactions: Avery16

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I also think the real reason isn’t actually the bigger stage but Torts himself, and I can imagine a player being put on the spot in the room and asked to say why he wants out has a tough time saying “because f*** you, specifically, John Tortorella” and so the situation gets even worse.

PLD Bought a house in the area like a year ago.

MTL got slimy and now he wants out. It's really as simple as that.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
PLD Bought a house in the area like a year ago.

MTL got slimy and now he wants out. It's really as simple as that.

I think it's just as likely that JD and Panarin were the ones to get in his head. You never know. But it wouldn't at all surprise me if the basis of the trade ends up being PLD for Kotkaniemi with some pieces to balance it out.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think it's just as likely that JD and Panarin were the ones to get in his head. You never know. But it wouldn't at all surprise me if the basis of the trade ends up being PLD for Kotkaniemi with some pieces to balance it out.

I don't think thats really all that likely. MTL hasn't been shy about handing out offer sheets and if PLD is set on going to MTL, theres no doubt in my mind that was a seed that was planted and watered by Bergy.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s just as likely the PLD only wants to go to MTL talk was started by MTL reporters than it is that it’s true

Reactions: Ghost of jas

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Interesting tidbit in that TSN article, CBJ looking for a “hockey trade” and not futures.

Not even a little surprising but wonder where that leaves the NYR. Expect NYR have way more to offer on the “futures” end of the spectrum but it depends on how other teams feel about Chytil if he is available or ADA.

Reactions: RGY

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Interesting tidbit in that TSN article, CBJ looking for a “hockey trade” and not futures.

Not even a little surprising but wonder where that leaves the NYR. Expect NYR have way more to offer on the “futures” end of the spectrum but it depends on how other teams feel about Chytil if he is available or ADA.
I’m sure they’re hoping to get a Johansen for Jones type deal but feel like those are pretty rare

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If we trade a combo of flavors like Chytil , Kravs , Gauthier , Kakko , Jones or Lundkvist or a first rounder we likely are giving up at least one guy that will turn out as good as what we are getting back.....I think we bite the bullet and wait for our orchard to bear fruit . We should work on the defense rebuild first and at least take the year to see what we really have in some of these prospects . What can it hurt by waiting ? We were 5th in offense last season.....I don't see us being worse in that regard this year .

Reactions: Minmonster

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Eh, I'm sure Torts' abrasiveness made things worse in terms of the timeline, but by most accounts this came out of the blue over the summer. I think it's clear that some other teams put the seed in his mind that he's being stifled and won't grow in Columbus and he deserves to be a star somewhere else. Cash registers go off in the ears of his agents, and voila, he wants to move on.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
PLD's presser today was so uncomfortable. He clearly got his ass spanked after yesterday. He seems embarrassed and uncomfortable just repeating the same things clearly knowing it was a bad look yesterday for him. Reporters seemed to really walk a fine line of asking him questions but also insinuating plenty at him with how the questions were worded. I hate using the word again but it is so uncomfortable to see unfolding.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Watch PLD’s language carefully. He said he wants a “bigger stage”. Didn’t Panarin say those exact same words?
Rangers but Montreal is a big stage, now he really needs to say I want to play for a former teammate and I am sure he does won't mean Josh Anderson lol

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Marc Bergevin is the most tight lipped GM in sports. Anyone who professes to know what their intentions are is exposing their own fraudulence.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Maybe Bread has been texting him non-stop saying “dude, they’re making me re-animate the corpse of Ryan Strome on a nightly basis... any chance you wanna come to NY?”

All indications are that Panarin likes playing with Strome, regardless of HF sentiment.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
All indications are that Panarin likes playing with Strome, regardless of HF sentiment.

Panarin’s just a better salesman. “Yes... I love playing with Ryan” *glances down at phone* come on, Pierre, respond, I’m dying!

I was only joking anyway.

Reactions: Cmox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad