Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I don't even think Kakko is struggling. He's just not standing out. Nor is he getting much opportunity to do so.

Expectations is what’s hurting Kakko.

We’re still talking about a very green teenager, but due to his draft status, many people have been expecting him to “be more NHL ready”...

Whatever the f*** that means.

He’s like 6’3 200lbs. Kakko might not be a great 18-21 year old. But he could be a dominant 22-32 year old. He’s still got a lot of filling out to do. His skating will improve. So will IQ. Puck control. Shot. Board play. Pretty much everything.

We’re literally witnessing the worst he has to offer right now. Every single aspect of his game is going to improve and I firmly believe he’ll be worthy of his hype when he’s in his prime.

This also applies to Chytil. I don’t think we’ll see his A game for a couple more seasons.

These young kids are playing in bodies bigger they they can handle in the NHL. Their reaction times and overall ability to read how plays are developing are staggered. But that should be expected for most prospects.

Kakko’s slow start was a concern from me when we drafted him. Simply because, there were some jackasses that thought he’d be a 1st line 60P RW his rookie season.

I won’t call the poster out, but he/she felt we’d have Kakko as our 1RW and Kravtsov as our 2RW.

People just have unrealistic expectations.

I don't think it's crazy to be concerned with Quinn's handling so far with Lias, Howden (overusing him/obsession), Chytil, Kakko, Lafreniere, etc. Fox is a beast. He has Panarin and Zibanejad too. For a college coach, he has not shown me much, to be honest.

His player usage, combined with his blatantly obvious double standards, is my biggest issue with Quinn. That shit sickens me. I just can’t support this clown anymore.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Im so excited about the future. We’re not even near the time, when this group will be ready but be ready when the pieces start to fill in.

So many young players who are still learning the game, have room to fill in and develop in almost every area possible. Not every piece fits the puzzle and that’s the point where the blue collar people take over.

Im not worried about Kakko, Laf, Miller or anyone else. I think some of the young players should be given more opportunities when it comes to making mistakes but it’s also good that they learn that you have the skills to be even better, avoid the mistakes and keep improving.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
How much ice-time would you have given to a player who could barely skate back to the bench after a shift? Kakko has been given so many opportunities by this org. He didn’t have to grind it out in the AHL and force himself into the lineup, he literally began his NHL career in the top-six getting 15:00+ TOI for the first ~30 games, and tons of PP time.
Barely skate back to the bench? Which shift are you cherry-picking to be this dramatic....

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Strome + Kravstov + Conditional 2nd (becomes 1st if Rangers make playoffs) for PLD

Davidson still has plenty of strong ties to CBJ. CBJ has a strong contingent of East Euro scouts that surely would weigh in favor of Kravstov. Strome allows them to remain competitive this year and next as well, albeit not the same ceiling as PLD. Salaries align, and CBJ gets a similarly aged high upside skill forward.

Reactions: Cag29

buckmaster

Feb 22, 2009
I don't even think Kakko is struggling. He's just not standing out. Nor is he getting much opportunity to do so.
Top picks like kakko and laf need time in scoring rolls them to produce. If kakko could somehow get some PP time and perhaps 2nd line minutes, I think you'd see a major upswing in his stats and play

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The stunt that PLD pulled last night has me reevaluating my desire to trade for him.

That whole shift was an embarrassment.

His teammates deserve a much better effort and if that is how he is going to conduct himself, then I want no part of that.

Hes not worth the price tag and the fact that he has to be coddled.

Pathetic effort

Reactions: Cmox and haveandare

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The stunt that PLD pulled last night has me reevaluating my desire to trade for him.

That whole shift was an embarrassment.

His teammates deserve a much better effort and if that is how he is going to conduct himself, then I want no part of that.

Hes not worth the price tag and the fact that he has to be coddled.

Pathetic effort

Or maybe he's tired of asking for a trade and he's showing it on the ice. I mean he asked for the trade, they basically brushed it off and said they were in no hurry, he obviously has a beef with Tortorella so if all this is true why haven't they moved him. Elliot friedman said the GM was surprised at how good the offers were for him so pull the trigger and quit wasting everyones time.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I disagree. You expect your top two pick to be a good player sooner than that. That’s the point. Elite level play during the ELC.

Kravtsov? Sure. Kakko and Laf don’t get five year leashes.

Not true, depends on the style of player. Kakko is more power forward than finese player, those types take longer to adjust to the size and speed of the league and with Kakko he needed to adjust to a new continent, style of play and ice size. Schieifle is a good example of a similar type and Winnipeg fans were ready to run him outta town early.

Reactions: Synergy27

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Or maybe he's tired of asking for a trade and he's showing it on the ice. I mean he asked for the trade, they basically brushed it off and said they were in no hurry, he obviously has a beef with Tortorella so if all this is true why haven't they moved him. Elliot friedman said the GM was surprised at how good the offers were for him so pull the trigger and quit wasting everyones time.

If he wanted an immediate trade he shouldn't have signed a 2 year contract. That contract gave Jarmo 2 years to make a deal.

There's no excuse for that performance last night.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If he wanted an immediate trade he shouldn't have signed a 2 year contract. That contract gave Jarmo 2 years to make a deal.

There's no excuse for that performance last night.

My guess is they told him he would be easier to move if he took a 2 year deal but i really have no proof of that.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If it’s about torts and Dubois would want to stay if a coaching change was made I tend to think torts will be gone first.

one or the other is going to go in the next few days IMO

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Top picks like kakko and laf need time in scoring rolls them to produce. If kakko could somehow get some PP time and perhaps 2nd line minutes, I think you'd see a major upswing in his stats and play
I agree.
Let’s also be patient and enjoy the process of watching this team develope. I’ve been watching since 1975. This time period is one of the most exciting in my time watching the Rangers. Young talent at all positions. Even the veterans are still in their 20’s. It’s awesome. Messier was 31 when he came here and that was incredible.
We may get to watch a whole group win several cups and grow together. What an awesome time to be a Ranger fan. LGR!

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

No obligation to trade him.

He does however have an obligation to play hard for the contract he signed.

Man up you pushy (PLD)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not true, depends on the style of player. Kakko is more power forward than finese player, those types take longer to adjust to the size and speed of the league and with Kakko he needed to adjust to a new continent, style of play and ice size. Schieifle is a good example of a similar type and Winnipeg fans were ready to run him outta town early.
This is fair, and I hope you are right. I don’t really think of Kakko as a power forward, but perhaps he is on that curve.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So? PLD is being contracted to provide a service. He did not provide that service and was benched. Trade request or no, you play to the fullest extent of your abilities.

What about Torts, is he not contracted to manage the bench of this team? Doesn't look like thats being done to the fullest extent of his abilities either. If this was the first player who wanted out of there id agree but the list is long, the team needs to evaluate the cause and fix it or they will never be a contender.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This is fair, and I hope you are right. I don’t really think of Kakko as a power forward, but perhaps he is on that curve.

If you compare how he played to start the year last year to now there is a big difference imo so as long as he is moving in the right direction thats a positive

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
What about Torts, is he not contracted to manage the bench of this team? Doesn't look like thats being done to the fullest extent of his abilities either. If this was the first player who wanted out of there id agree but the list is long, the team needs to evaluate the cause and fix it or they will never be a contender.

I have zero issue benching a player who isn't trying out there.

The cause is having to live and work in Columbus.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So? PLD is being contracted to provide a service. He did not provide that service and was benched. Trade request or no, you play to the fullest extent of your abilities.

Sure but I saw stats from Button that shows PLB top 30 last year in puck battles won and 9th so far this year sooooo it’s 1 incident . Talk to him on the bench maybe? Torts is too drastic

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
the 33-72-24 line looked good last year and has looked great this year, with the difference largely being how much better 24 is playing than last year.

I just hope that line is left alone. Just don't touch it. It's working.

If we could get a save from our goalies that would go a long way for us too...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
guy showed some emotion in a game where his team was getting his ass kicked. I mean it's not like he jumped the ref and punched him in the back of the head. I wish more of the players would have showed some emotion after they were getting bitch slapped by a rival opening night.
It is one thing to show emotion, it is another thing to look like an immature moron. There is emotion in getting at it with the other team. In the words of Mighty Ducks, those would be two minutes well worth it. And there is idiocy by mouthing off at the refs and childishly slamming the penalty box door. All in a game that is penalty filled and have just resulted in in you taking a double minor.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If it’s about torts and Dubois would want to stay if a coaching change was made I tend to think torts will be gone first.

one or the other is going to go in the next few days IMO

I agree.

Torts is right about at the point where those around him start to not be able to stand him anymore. In turn, they start tuning him out, which raises his ire, which usually only serves to disintegrate the relationship that much faster.

There's no excuse for DLP's play the other night, and other teams will take notice of that --- especially when it comes to the price. But Torts also has a way of adding fuel to fires.

This is a bad romance that is going to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Kovalev27 and Cmox

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Strome, Kravstov protected 1st for dubois.

Nils to LA for one of their top 6 center prospects.

Center depth solved. And if eichel becomes available, PLD is a good starting point.

Reactions: Larry Singet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad