Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
McNabb is almost a pure salary throw in this deal. The fact that he plays LD and isn’t terrible benefits Vegas because the Rangers obviously need help there

Tuch is a significantly better player than McNabb and will not/should not be considered a salary throw in by Vegas

They’re not getting a blue chip prospect + a top 6 forward in his prime for Tony. I know people don’t want to hear but that’s just not happening

I'm ok with not getting Tuch then.

Krebs please.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
fans talking about it doesn't count as 'smoke'...if martin is willing to sign for cheap enough that we can afford him, he would just stay with the islanders.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is true, i'm not advocating for him to be picking fights. Just saying fans shouldn't be surprised if he has to answer the bell for the game he has sometimes shown to play. Ovie and Svech aren't fighters either, doesn't mean they don't sometimes have to. Hell, players jump other players for CLEANLY hitting a teammate these days.
The thing is that he is not a fighter. Yes, he will play physically. Yes he will probably evolve into a somewhat dirty player. No, he is not a glove dropper.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I don't think I'm underrating ADA, but I think your underrating Theodore's value to Vegas. Regardless, in this hypothetical scenario, let's say their value is equal. A one for one swap doesn't improve the Knights..it actually weakens them. Their biggest need is a defenseman who can actually play defense & clear the crease. Vegas might need/want a PPQB, but there's no chance in hell Theodore is moved for one. If that's the ask from the Rangers, they politely say thanks but no thanks & turn their attention to Dumba.(barf).

I do agree that signing Pietrangelo will cripple them for years to come. As much as they need him, it just doesn't seem realistic or prudent.
You don’t think you’re underrating ADA, but you say he doesn’t fetch Theodore, who is older and produces less.

You say he won’t fetch Glass and his significant injury history, or Krebs despite drafting Brossoit.

In your mind, what exactly is a market return for ADA?

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Matt Martin is gonna happen. There’s no doubt we’re looking for an enforcer to protect this group. Just hope they don’t give him a long term deal

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The thing about Tony is that I feel like his demands are going to impact his value way more now than ever.

One of the reasons the Rangers would trade him now is if they understood him to be unreasonable with his demands for a long term deal* If that's the case, he's not going to have a ton of suitors once they get wind of it. It's bad timing to want a huge deal right now. Teams just aren't going to splash cash wildly with so much unknown IMO.

* - you can say "oh he has no leverage" but I realy don't think the Rangers want to drag this out year by year until FA with him. I get the sense from what's come out he either is here long term, or traded to fill a need.

While I think your post is on point, I think any suitors already know he is likely to be a player who gets to UFA as soon as he can.

And I think that becomes more and more common place among any player who has a break out year whether on his entry level or bridge. Under a flat cap with contracts being depressed due to it, why not wait it out and see if the landscape improves unless a team offers well above what those players would get just by taking a series of shorter term deals to get to UFA.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
There’s a salary cap. If Chytil does this year what cirelli did in Tampa last year you now have a guy you have to pay big money to and nowhere for him to play because you jumped the gun and went after a cirelli losing assets in the process instead of waiting for a rebuilding team to actually REBUILD
We were able to afford Eichel last week. Now, we cant afford Cirelli? :sarcasm:

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
I can see Lemieux and Martin on the 4th line. They would definitely be a pest to play against.

This would be my lines.

Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Kreider-Zibby-Buchnevich
Lafreniere-Chytil-Gauthier
Lemieux-McKegg-Martin

If Lafreniere is showing solid development. I would try Laf on the second line and try Kreider RW while bumping Buch to third line.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
someone show me any evidence that the rangers or martin have any interest in each other coming from anyone but boomer who I haven't listened to in months since I'm working from home since march I assume is saying it jokingly

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If Martin wants to stay in the area and he's cheap who cares

He'd be a 12/13th forward that would play on/off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad