Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kind of a bargain bin, off the wall suggestion: What does anyone think about the idea of bringing in Zemgus Girgensons for the 4th line? He's still on the young side, probably wouldn't cost that much, and could be a really useful player on the penalty kill. I think a 4th line of Lemieux- Girgensons- Fast would be quite solid for the price. He'd be about the same age Blair Betts was when he came to MSG, but with a bit more track record on his resume.

It'd give us something like:

Laf--Ziba--Kakko
Panarin--Chytil--Buchnevich/Kravtsov
Kreider--Howden/Barron--Gauthier
Lemieux--Girgensons--Fast

I like the balance there, and we could use another defense first guy in that bottom 6.
I think this is exactly the kind of thing we’ll be looking to do. And it makes sense. Unless something off-the-wall gala in our laps, we take it incrementally.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I do doubt that the Rangers have a serious play to make for Eichel this very second. I don't think Buffalo is at a point where they feel they need to trade him -- yet. But I think the seeds are being planted.

On the flip side, I bet the Rangers could probably take advantage, in some way, of Buffalo's growing desperation to put a team around him that can make noise, and I have to wonder if we could pry the 8th pick, or more, out of them for a player who is ultimately redundant or unnecessary to us. That list as many have speculated would include, as far as I'm concerned, Strome, Buchnevich, Andersson, and/or DeAngelo (if the price was high enough).
Exactly. Greed - in this case - is not good.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get where a lot of hestitation comes from --- especially with ADA. I really do, so I can't dismiss it and say people are being foolish.

But ADA is a talented yet flawed player. And that means you're trading him for another talented yet flawed player, or you're trading him for future's.

I think people have this image of a better player coming back the other way, and I think part of the reason why fans are struggling to identify that player is because he might not exist.

Either you're looking at a flawed player who brings both good and not so good aspects, or you're looking at the type of guy that isn't being traded for ADA.

We don't want Lindholm. We don't want Monahan. We probably have exceeindly high expectations for Cirelli or his availability.

We want to improve things, but we don't want to give up anything of value. At some point, it just doesn't work that way.

Preach on Preacher

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What role would Greenway fill on the Rangers that Howden or Lemieux don't?
Howden and Lemieux are neither shiny nor new.

And frankly, a guy like Greenway is good as a homegrown ELC but I’m not sure the upside warrants giving up semi-premium assets. But maybe I’m ‘mis-under-estimating’ him?

Also, isn’t Greenway a US college guy? Don’t they clear their ELCs pretty quick? Correct me if I’m wrong but I expect he’ll get more-pricey pretty soon.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The end result of a DeAngelo shouldn't be "winning" the trade in a vacuum. It should be improving the team overall. You're almost certainly going to sacrifice some offense from the blue line if you trade him, but if it means you can improve the depth at center and/or stabilize the left-side of the defense then there's a lot of value in that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lindholm would be acceptable as a return for ADA. Either of them really (I prefer the Anaheim version but availability is in question.)

Monahan would not. You wanna sell me on Buch+? Fine. He doesn't suck, but he bring nothing to the table that this team desperately needs help with. I understand that there are other ways to remedy some of those issues, but if we're moving our most valuable "expendable" chip, we sure as hell should be looking for a long term solution to one of those issues rather than just beefing up something that is already a strength.

How are we going to go about fixing some of the other holes on the roster?

Reactions: mas0764

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
boo hoo to Kevin. Cry me a river. Here we have Panarin (and so many like him) who couldn’t even afford skates. Jagr would do squats with Cinder blocks b/c he was broke. Poor Kevin, who attended the approx $50,000 a year Bruswick school, saw his play deteriorate in St Louis, was non-existent in Washington and had his $26 million dollar contract bought out b/c he was injured in Ny.

Newsflash Kevin, the Lightning got you at a discount and the surrounding talent won you a Cup b/c the Rangers bought you out. Need a hug Princess?
I agree with the sentiment. He’s coming off as a bit entitled. Not sure I’d say it the same way, though ;)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
if they are gonna rely on Fast to replace Buchnevich, another lottery season here we come. Fast is overrated. he is just a 4th liner that can play with top lines and not look out of place but in the offensive zone he is useless. Fast should be a defenseman. :sarcasm:
He is ‘one of their best players’

Spoiler: He’s one of their best 20 players.

All kidding aside, I like Fast and at a reasonable price I don’t think making an exception and giving a Bottom Sixer a mildly-long-term deal would kill the Rangers.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think you might want to start bracing yourself now.

I'm assuming this isn't necessarily a "something is imminent" post but more of a "Rangers/the league don't feel the same way about DeAngelo that you do and there are some heavy discussions happening right now involving trading him"

Blink once if I'm right blink twice if something is imminent

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Howden and Lemieux are neither shiny nor new.

And frankly, a guy like Greenway is good as a homegrown ELC but I’m not sure the upside warrants giving up semi-premium assets. But maybe I’m ‘mis-under-estimating’ him?

Also, isn’t Greenway a US college guy? Don’t they clear their ELCs pretty quick? Correct me if I’m wrong but I expect he’ll get more-pricey pretty soon.

Greenway is a non-arbitration eligible RFA. He'll likely get squeezed on his new contract. He played at BU, so there's a connection to Quinn. If we didn't already trade for Gauthier, Greenway would make more sense.

Reactions: egelband

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Greenway is a non-arbitration eligible RFA. He'll likely get squeezed on his new contract. He played at BU, so there's a connection to Quinn. If we didn't already trade for Gauthier, Greenway would make more sense.
Well Greenway is a left wing so I think he could be a fit on the third or fourth line, especially if we trade Buch and move Kreider to right wing

laf-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Strome/someone else-Kreider
Greenway-Chytil-Gauthier

that’s a BIG BOI third line right there

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm assuming this isn't necessarily a "something is imminent" post but more of a "Rangers/the league don't feel the same way about DeAngelo that you do and there are some heavy discussions happening right now involving trading him"

Blink once if I'm right blink twice if something is imminent

This is correct. To the best of my knowledge we're not looking at a deal coming down in the next 15 minutes.

I would say whether it's Calgary, Vegas or some other team, and whether it's two days from now or a year from now, you're probably getting a player who isn't going to be universally accepted as the better player in the deal by Rangers fans.

You might get offense, but have concerns about overall play and consistency, or you might get less offense and more consistency, or you might get a guy whom the Rangers feel meshes with the team rather than serves as a line-driving player, you may get someone who could be a line driver but comes with an injury history or other question marks.

The point being that it's going to be very hard to find the unicorn - AKA a 21-23 year old center who is already playing on the second line, at a really good price, with first line upside, and no red flags.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love another Gomez for McD or Brassard for Zibanejad trade --- we're about due for one. But those are hard to find. And even then, because things turned out so well, we almost tend to overlook that those deals came with their share of question marks as well. They've just been lost to time.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well Greenway is a left wing so I think he could be a fit on the third or fourth line, especially if we trade Buch and move Kreider to right wing

laf-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Strome/someone else-Kreider
Greenway-Chytil-Gauthier

that’s a BIG BOI third line right there

If we were to move Buch, then possibly, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad