Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Please, you guys are spoiled with the content on here. Go see some of the other boards; they’re either ghost towns or full of drama.

The only place you’ll find better information and speculation about the Rangers is literally within the Rangers. :laugh:
Oh trust me, I know. But what I mean is that if I'm like 8 pages behind the thread when I hop on, there's no way I'm going to spend that time reading every back and forth about what Jesper Fast is or isn't

Reactions: wafflepadsave

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
This franchise has been looking for a defenseman like ADA since Leetch and fans have been clamoring for that as well. Now you guys can't wait to get rid of him. SMH.
Well this has been 18 months in the making. And it's not like this is an executive board voting on who stays and goes. We're just passengers.

But the glimpses of Tony were there two seasons ago. Then we acquired Fox. And a ton of people here really wanted Shattenkirk bought out despite the cap crunch, and a good portion of them had Trouba in the crosshairs for a long time. And then after we locked up the right side with Lundkvist developing, we went and dropped a ton of money on Panarin that a lot of people were dying for despite the cap implications.

So sometimes you get what you ask for. Gorton pulled the trigger but a lot of fans were clamoring for all these moves. There are 2 right d absolutely entrenched on this team, plus ADA. There is one left d playing way above his head as a rookie and then nothing. There is one legit center and another holding it down that fans are running out of town. There is one legit right wing that is an afterthought in trades. The goal is to build a cup team. And stacking everything on left wing and right d just doesn't feel like the winning formula.

I'm not saying that every person asked for the same moves, but they were all consensus. This was a pretty obvious outcome every step of the way. It's kind of unfortunate that Gorton hit the crossroads for goalie and right d after covid, but blowing the cap every single season and routinely buying out players is finally biting us in the ass.

Last edited:

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Fox just put up 42 points in 70 games as a 21 year old rookie. At the same age, ADA had 8 points in 32 games.

Fox is the more complete player. Even if he never puts up as many points as ADA, he has already surpassed him on the depth chart. ADA isn't going to move to the left side, and the Rangers aren't going to keep all of Trouba, Fox and ADA on the right side. The writing in on the wall. It's just a matter of when and for what.
Fox's potential is closer to 1st line, DeAngelo's is superstar
FAwMxV9.png

XVbB7Mf.png

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What makes you think he's going to score 35 goals and 80 points? He's done that once in his career while being on Gaudreau's line for the longest time. And there are other options than those 2.

Well the goals have held pretty steady at around 30, so it really comes down to how many assists he’d get.

But I’ll gladly meet you half-way and say he matches Strome’s output, but swaps 10 assists for 10 goals and provides better overall play at center.

I’m fine using that as an example for the $1 million price difference in the Strome vs. Monahan equation.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You can say ADA has defensive flaws but he’s an offensive stud. You can fix up that defense easier than you can find the amount of offense he generates from the blueline.

See I think that misses the objective though.

I don’t think the Rangers are looking to replace his from the blue line on a point for point basis.

I think they’re looking to shore up other areas of the team and allocate their budget differently, even at the price or a drop in production from the blue line.

In other words, if they say see a 15 point drop on the blue line, but gain the advantage of a productive RD on an ELC, and an upgrade to their center depth or balance on the left side of their defense, I think they feel pretty good about that.

I don’t think the end game for them is finding another 60 point RHD.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Well the goals have held pretty steady at around 30, so it really comes down to how many assists he’d get.

But I’ll gladly meet you half-way and say he matches Strome’s output, but swaps 10 assists for 10 goals and provides better overall play at center.

I’m fine using that as an example for the $1 million price difference in the Strome vs. Monahan equation.
Even if he is slightly better overall than Strome with the cost it will likely take to acquire him, IMO not worth the potential slight upgrade.

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
See I think that misses the objective though.

I don’t think the Rangers are looking to replace his from the blue line on a point for point basis.

I think they’re looking to shore up other areas of the team and allocate their budget differently, even at the price or a drop in production from the blue line.

In other words, if they say see a 15 point drop on the blue line, but gain the advantage of a productive RD on an ELC, and an upgrade to their center depth or balance on the left side of their defense, I think they feel pretty good about that.

I don’t think the end game for them is finding another 60 point RHD.
So what could be the rangers aim is to have most of the money tied up on the forwards and basically buy their holes? And let ELCs fill the gap that is made through these trades?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Is this Monahan stuff related to DeAngelo or Buchnevich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad