Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
They are nowhere near the playoffs they are literally rebuilding as we speak.

Rebuilding isn't tearing it down. Their next era of talent is close to the NHL or already earning spots. Gibson is in his prime and locked up for a long time. They're being linked to players like DeAngelo and Laine. Hardly stripping everything down for picks. That franchise doesn't want a bottom-out rebuild.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Boston seems like the logical fit.
I was thinking about this earlier and it seems to me that Vancouver is the more natural destination.

Krug's output isnt so far off of OEL's. They're both 29. Krug will get a raise, but up to OEL's current hit, with the flat cap? I dont know. I doubt Boston could trim enough to get both under contract. At the very least, it'd take deep cuts and creative moves.

I think Boston can and should use OEL as leverage on Krug, but it won't take them far. If Krug's mind is set on bolting, maybe OEL could be a consolation prize, but an expensive one. Bruins would do best to offer more to Arizona and have them retain on OEL. But Vancouver could get there easier and faster.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The Bruins being in on OEL isn't surprising. If the players are saying their window for Bergeron, Chara, Marchand era is closing in the next 2-3 years, then why not. For the Canucks, I don't really get it.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’ll tell you what I think we’ve got a lot going on. I think Strome is leaving. I think Buch might be moved. I think tony might seriously be moved I think our pick is in play I think we’re looking at well known centers I think an LD theres a lot going on right now imo. I think Gorton is looking to pick off a star or two from teams desperate to move move money.

You mean 22? Yeah.

Reactions: Kovalev27

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
OEL to Boston makes a ton of sense. OEL to Vancouver makes way less sense but whatever Benning seems to be doing has been working for them so who knows? Hopefully we're not touching any of that talk. OEL was a great player but he's not really that guy anymore and I don't want to bet an $8.25m cap hit for 7 more years that he'll rebound.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I can see both gourde and Sergachev based on nothing but intuition but I can see a package presented to get them both

Reactions: Leetch3

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Rebuilding isn't tearing it down. Their next era of talent is close to the NHL or already earning spots. Gibson is in his prime and locked up for a long time. They're being linked to players like DeAngelo and Laine. Hardly stripping everything down for picks. That franchise doesn't want a bottom-out rebuild.
They are literally bottomed out

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think he'd be fine with one more of Lemieux, Gauthier, and/or Fast on his wing(s). A sneaky player who can break through zones unexpectedly would complement the bottom six like Hagelin or Grabner used to.

Grabner and Hagelins value were largely based on their forechecking, speed, and penalty killing ability. AA only has one of those three. I also look at Edmonton’s disinterest in retaining him as a red flag. This guy just feels like Ryan Spooner 2.0.

Reactions: cheech70

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
He's the 20 foot player that @NYR thought Zibanejad was.

Amazing wheels, had that one big offensive year but doesn't play a lick of defense or really provide much else. He's about as useful as spooner.

Maybe you should check out my posts at the time.
I was 100000% against giving up Hags.
So instead of continuously popping off shit you should just keep working on that xbox high score kid.
I honestly don't know how you're even allowed to post here lol

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
OEL to Boston makes a ton of sense. OEL to Vancouver makes way less sense but whatever Benning seems to be doing has been working for them so who knows? Hopefully we're not touching any of that talk. OEL was a great player but he's not really that guy anymore and I don't want to bet an $8.25m cap hit for 7 more years that he'll rebound.

unless Arizona is eating salary (unlikely) or paying the bruins assets to take the contract off their hands...why would boston give up assets for OEL when they can sign krug for less? I mean that would be the max contract for krug right?

Reactions: Barnaby

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I was thinking about this earlier and it seems to me that Vancouver is the more natural destination.

Krug's output isnt so far off of OEL's. They're both 29. Krug will get a raise, but up to OEL's current hit, with the flat cap? I dont know. I doubt Boston could trim enough to get both under contract. At the very least, it'd take deep cuts and creative moves.

I think Boston can and should use OEL as leverage on Krug, but it won't take them far. If Krug's mind is set on bolting, maybe OEL could be a consolation prize, but an expensive one. Bruins would do best to offer more to Arizona and have them retain on OEL. But Vancouver could get there easier and faster.

I was under the impression Krug wasn’t being retained. I figured he would’ve been signed by now, but who knows. I figured Boston was involved on OEL to replace Krug, not to retain both.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I've been thinking about all the newfound cap space Gorton has accumulated in the last week and I wonder if he might have a bigger target in mind than what we have been discussing. I've not been a big fan of how Oliver Ekman Larsson has played over the past few years but this article from Coyote Insider has some interesting points. OEL needs a change of scenery. The site is typically subscription but this article is unlocked.

Gauging league perception of Ekman-Larsson’s game, his contract and the wisdom of trading him

I've not necessarily advocating a trade here and I couldn't begin to put pieces together but I've got this nagging thought that Gorton isn't interested in small stuff. If he can find the right deal for a big piece, he has some room to maneuver.

Perhaps there are other higher end left defensemen who might be available

I mean if the Yotes retain 2 to 3 million per............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad