Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Are there Any hedge fund fans out there that can squeeze, short sell the fracking industry and put more pressure on the Pegulas? Florida May be tax free but we can pressure owners into selling assets.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't think that's nearly enough, though the only reason Buffalo would trade him is because he's forcing their hand, so maybe. I still think that's an incredibly weak package overall.
it's weak because there is no one in that package that has really proven anything at the NHL level (except ADA). I agree with you I don't think it is enough. There is quantity but the quality is not guaranteed.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Buffalo is not going to have their choice of all 30 teams to pick or choose. A limited market, especially if Eichel forces their hand, means they may not have a choice.

As someone posted before, few teams can afford him. Few teams have the pieces needed to get him. Few teams have the need for him. Very few have all three. Rangers are one of the very few teams with all 3. The only ways Buffalo trades him is if Eichel forces his way out, they start going mega-rebuild and trying to get as much for him as they can and just start from scratch with Dahlin as their main piece, and the 3rd way is if the GM is just f***ing terrible and just makes a bad trade. They have no rush to trade Eichel right now, assuming Eichel isn't pushing right now for a trade.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Hypothetically

Eichel for buch deangelo 22 lias and henriksson

strome for a late first or 2 2nds
Georgiev for a 2nd and a 3rd

kreider Mika gauthier
Panarin eichel kakko
Lafreniere chytil Kravtsov
Lemieux howden some random good 4th liner

miller trouba
Lindgren fox
Reunanen smith

something like that

Defensively very young, green, mobile, etc. well give up chances but we’ll be able to outscore our deficiencies.

If that was to go down, bring back Fast.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Some random Twitter chode linked us to AP. It’s not the same as Bob Mckenie coming out of nowhere and saying it.
I wasn't clear and I didn't intend to equate Bob to the chode. I was just showing an example of how we are commonly linked to rumors even when it doesn't make sense. Purely a comment on the use of the rangers.

Well, I can tell you the Rangers and Buffalo have talked as well. And that was from two independent sources a few weeks ago, including one with the Rangers.
Yeah, I remember they checked in on the #1. Maybe we delved into Eichel during the talk. Did it go far on either player? Simple as that.

I empathize with the people providing info. They get killed for doing a job or favor.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Because you're waiting for it to happen and banking on it. And what if he doesn't sign with us or demands too much money? Or what if Florida resigns him? Rangers need to set the window for now and start planning for the next 5 years over the course of the next year. Set up your core, start planning out how you move forward after ELCs expire, and look at potential moves like that as a luxury rather than a necessity. If you sign Barkov, can you sign Mika as well? Mika is very much a wild card and a concern. Maybe the org thinks Chytil will Fil in as the 2C and are more confident than the board, and that's what they're banking on. I dunno.
You’re not waiting for anything in that hypo. It’s a fallback option on what everyone agrees is a long shot, and as fallback options go it’s a great one and right around the corner.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
it's weak because there is no one in that package that has really proven anything at the NHL level (except ADA). I agree with you I don't think it is enough. There is quantity but the quality is not guaranteed.

Yeah but teams with quality proven commodities aren't usually in a hurry to move them unless they have to.

Again the question isn't "is Chytil+DeAngelo+22 OA a fair base of a package for Eichel", it's "Which teams can feasibly top that base (realistically, Colorado moving Rantanen is not realistic) while also being able to fit in his salary"?

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
They never usually are in these type of deals.

That's why the ratio in deals like this is 4:1 or more, as well. I would think ADA carries a bit more weight than he's being given credit for - especially at his age. He's likely to peak in a couple of years as most D peak later than forwards.

It's interesting to talk about, but I'm not sure where any of this goes or that we need another 10M forward in the first place.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Looking at their situation, they could theoretically package together DeBrincat+Boqvist and their 2020 1st which is is higher than our Carolina pick.

DeBrincat had a pretty crap season, but he's still just 22 and has a track record. I guess they fall into the possible category as well.

We can easily come up with a better package than that even excluding Kakko, Lafreniere and Kravtsov.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Just spitballing. I feel that Buffalo is gonna want something back they can sell to their fanbase And also be able to contribute immediately especially at the forward position.

Again, we’re dealing with specific circumstances here. The economics of the league have a lot of franchises hurting right now. The Rangers are unique in many ways. You also need to look at how these deals turn out when completed. Fans always speculate shy-high value. Jeez, Trouba wasn’t supposed to be acquired for just Pionk and a 1st. Nash wasn’t supposed to cost Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and 1st. There are so many examples of how these deals turn out going back 30 years.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Not trying to be contrarian and as much as I like Chytil I’m sure quite a few teams can beat that.

Name them and how.

Not trying to be a smartass but I bet I can put together better packages.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Are there Any hedge fund fans out there that can squeeze, short sell the fracking industry and put more pressure on the Pegulas? Florida May be tax free but we can pressure owners into selling assets.

The consumer power is huge towards these guys. They (and especially everyone doing business with them) are seriously scared for it. Google Greenpeace and Credit Suisse. There is a UN lead initiative to boycott anyone or anything that lobbies against actions to protect the climate.

Check out which bank Pegula is using and start protesting outside it since they are doing business with him. :)

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
If the avs came along and offered Rantanen and Byram and a lower prospect?

I doubt they offer that, but that maybe the ONE team that could come close. We could offer more in terms of number of assets most likely though.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Yeah but teams with quality proven commodities aren't usually in a hurry to move them unless they have to.

Again the question isn't "is Chytil+DeAngelo+22 OA a fair base of a package for Eichel", it's "Which teams can feasibly top that base (realistically, Colorado moving Rantanen is not realistic) while also being able to fit in his salary"?
Off the top of my head why couldn't a team like Philly get involved? If teams especially in the Eastern conference saw the Rangers getting involved there could be some team out there that would try to make it work.
Heck not saying there is a fit but even a team like Montreal who is starved for a forward superstar could get involved. They would have KK or Suzuki plus some other appealing pieces.

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
Who was the last player traded that is remotely similar to Eichel and his situation?

- Close to top 5 in his position in the league (specifically, C)
- ~24 years old or younger
- Highly touted "franchise player" prospect
- Signed long-term, carrying a large cap hit

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
No thanks to spending a bajillion (bagillion?) dollars on like 3 players. I don’t want to end up in an ever-sticky Leafs-type situation.

Go for Lindholm. A nice “hockey trade”. Fill a hole and keep the cap down.
I'm not entirely disagreeing with you, but who's to say that the Leafs model isn't going to be successful? The team is still really young. What if the leafs sign Pietrangelo and go on to win 2 cups in the next 3 or 4 four years with a bunch of young guys on ELCs and 1 year veteran signings?

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Who was the last player traded that is remotely similar to Eichel and his situation?

- Close to top 5 in his position in the league (specifically, C)
- ~24 years old or younger
- Highly touted "franchise player" prospect
- Signed long-term, carrying a large cap hit
Tyler Seguin

Reactions: mas0764

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Off the top of my head why couldn't a team like Philly get involved? If teams especially in the Eastern conference saw the Rangers getting involved there could be some team out there that would try to make it work.
Heck not saying there is a fit but even a team like Montreal who is starved for a forward superstar could get involved. They would have KK or Suzuki plus some other appealing pieces.

What is Philly moving? Mind you they have 6 mill in open space right now.

I don't think Montreal is really gung ho on moving either of those guys. I can't imagine that Buffalo would want to trade him inside of the division either.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
One of the things that needs to be sorted out here is the issue of:

Are we (A) having to sell Buffalo on moving Eichel because we're gonna wash them away with high value assets, or, (B) is this a scenario where Buffalo is internally deciding it needs to move Eichel because of finances, he doesn't want to play there, or some other reason, and they are gonna take the best reasonable deal they can?

If it's (A), then they can easily sit on the position of, "We want Lafreniere or Kakko or there will be no deal." I wouldn't even be shocked if they took that position; but in that case, no team in the league is likely to pry Eichel away and this is a moot non-story. A phone call was made, McKenzie reported it, but there's no real traction.

If it's (B), then there is no debate, the Rangers will win those sweepstakes and will not have to include Lafreniere or Kakko to do so, and may not even have to include Kravtsov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad