Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
Any interest in Max Domi for DeAngelo? Both RFA. Solid 2c with an edge. Montreal has Weber and Petry on the right side but Petry is 32 and UFA next year. Could be a good hockey trade for both teams.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I had read it was about not wanting to invest in his next contract so they could afford Pietrangelo? I haven’t studied it though honestly.

I'm not sure they can afford Pietrangelo now, even if they don't keep Dunn. They have around $6.5m in cap space (@GoAwayStaal it's $5m with 15 forwards on the roster). Will that be enough to keep Pietrangelo around? Will they be comfortable shuffling out other players in order to bring Pietrangelo back, despite having 2 other top-4 capable righties?

Though, I think in the event they try to keep Pietrangelo, Steen is probably getting bought out.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think Dunn is a great target, I'm just not sure why St Louis would be looking to move him.

The only reason is because of the expansion draft. They need to protect parayko, Faulk, scandella and maybe Pietreangelo if they resign him. So even if they opt to protect 4 d, Dunn might be exposed. So they could look to move him rather than lose him for nothing.

but if I was them I wouldn’t even think about moving him now. I’d ride out the season hoping to win next year and then move him before the expansion draft

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The only reason is because of the expansion draft. They need to protect parayko, Faulk, scandella and maybe Pietreangelo if they resign him. So even if they opt to protect 4 d, Dunn might be exposed. So they could look to move him rather than lose him for nothing.

but if I was them I wouldn’t even think about moving him now. I’d ride out the season hoping to win next year and then move him before the expansion draft

That's fair about the expansion draft. I have no idea why Scandella would get a NTC. Though he's still eligible to be exposed. Why would they protect Scandella over Dunn?

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Edge What is far more likely to happen? Trading #22 or keeping #22? I ask because you mentioned the notion of trading #22 in a deal for a guy like Vince Dunn or Jonas Brodin, but you also mentioned how high the Rangers were on Hendrix Lapierre and Ridly Grieg. What is the far more likely scenario?

60/40 they keep it. I think they're definitely looking to get some help now, and that could involve the 22nd pick. But I also think they are trying to figure out their own payroll allocations and there's not going to be a ton of room to add salary, so any move that brings salary is either going to have to involve similar commitments or it will trigger a follow-up move to trade a salary. Not sure if all of that comes together before the draft.

@NYR Viper "@Edge i noticed nothing mentioned about possible UFA’s they may want to look at or a path towards making the team a bit more difficult to play against. Any tidbits on those?

I’d imagine they wouldn’t be looking at much as far as UFA’s, maybe depth options. Say Janmark, Girgensons, Nosek types"

I know Dillon was a guy they were watching in Washington. Granlund was someone they were keeping an eye on.

"The fact that the Sabres are circling back for the 1st overall without either the 2nd or 3rd makes me believe that the teams have spoken at length in the past. This coincides with what @Edge has mentioned before as well. You can’t even contemplate a complicated offer like this without having a good feel for what the other wants from many past discussions.

If the 1st overall isn’t the piece that’s moved I could still see a more minor deal coming from those discussions. It seems like the teams have circled each other for a while."

They spent quite a bit of time circling each other last year talking about Vesey and a few other options. So there is a familiarity there.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’d have to guess DeAngelo is going the other way for Lindholm

Calgary might like Buchnevich but I’d be surprised if they like him enough to swap them without a big plus

It also makes zero sense to me that St Louis May be looking to move Dunn. Like thank Pietrangelo for his time and let Toronto overpay him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
"The fact that the Sabres are circling back for the 1st overall without either the 2nd or 3rd makes me believe that the teams have spoken at length in the past. This coincides with what @Edge has mentioned before as well. You can’t even contemplate a complicated offer like this without having a good feel for what the other wants from many past discussions.

If the 1st overall isn’t the piece that’s moved I could still see a more minor deal coming from those discussions. It seems like the teams have circled each other for a while."

They spent quite a bit of time circling each other last year talking about Vesey and a few other options. So there is a familiarity there.

Buffalo could certainly use some wing help, but there's not much in their organization I'd want to acquire, that is reasonably available, at this stage of things.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Based on what happened before the Vegas expansion where no teams were able to make any trades, I doubt they want to wait that long

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I’d have to guess DeAngelo is going the other way for Lindholm

Calgary might like Buchnevich but I’d be surprised if they like him enough to swap them without a big plus

It also makes zero sense to me that St Louis May be looking to move Dunn. Like thank Pietrangelo for his time and let Toronto overpay him.
If this happens (and it might) then the next move is Strome or Buchnevich for a defenseman. Just have to make the money work.

Reactions: egelband

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Calgary has 4 D signed next season and one is right side, Andersson. If we are dealing you almost have to think ADA is the basis. They have plenty of forwards and Lindholm is a known quantity on a know deal. Why do they swap him out on a guy (Buchnevich) needing a deal sooner than later without any playoff pedigree?

St. Louis on the other hand has a top right wing with a concerning injury to his shoulder that didn't heal so well on the first go around. He's projected to be back early in the season, but Armstrong has proven his value on depth, and a 1st rounder doesn't help on this current window.

I've been on record as saying Buchnevich is under rated here. He's our top RW as well as the only proven guy on that side. He is morphing into a battler and seems to get different players going. Consistent with the @Edge synopsis, losing Buchnevich creates a big hole that I don't think the team is eager to open.

That being said, I can see ADA/Buchnevich going out with Lindholm/Dunn coming back with their respective trades. It makes sense for the other teams, it addresses holes here. Maybe more moving parts (Robert Thomas and 22OA), but no mega deals.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I'm not sure they can afford Pietrangelo now, even if they don't keep Dunn. They have around $6.5m in cap space (@GoAwayStaal it's $5m with 15 forwards on the roster). Will that be enough to keep Pietrangelo around? Will they be comfortable shuffling out other players in order to bring Pietrangelo back, despite having 2 other top-4 capable righties?

Though, I think in the event they try to keep Pietrangelo, Steen is probably getting bought out.
Faulk could be the guy they move.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Calgary has 4 D signed next season and one is right side, Andersson. If we are dealing you almost have to think ADA is the basis. They have plenty of forwards and Lindholm is a known quantity on a know deal. Why do they swap him out on a guy needing a deal sooner than later without any playoff pedigree?

St. Louis on the other hand has a top right wing with a concerning injury to his shoulder that didn't heal so well on the first go around. He's projected to be back early in the season, but Armstrong has proven his value on depth, and a 1st rounder doesn't help on this current window.

I've been on record as saying Buchnevich is under rated here. He's our top RW as well as the only proven guy on that side. He is morphing into a battler and seems to get different players going. Consistent with the @Edge synopsis, losing Buchnevich creates a big hole that I don't think the team is eager to open.

That being said, I can see ADA/Buchnevich going out with Lindholm/Dunn coming back with their respective trades. It makes sense for the other teams, it addresses holes here. Maybe more moving parts (Robert Thomas and 22OA), but no mega deals.

So one of the questions I asked about ADA was whether Calgary would have hesitation because it doesn't necessarily jump out as a permanent home for a kid from South Jersey.

The response that I got (and it backs up comments by the person I met on Friday night who works in the Western Conference) is that it would not be an issue. ADA has at least three years to go before he's an UFA (assuming someone doesn't buy his first year of eligibility), and that gives a team like Calgary plenty of time to get use out of him while their core is in its prime.

If it doesn't look like he wants to stay in three years time, they potentially have themselves one of the hottest TDL commodities on the market.

But the general consensus is that getting someone like ADA would take an already dangerous Calgary forward group and spread some of that danger to the blue line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad