Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I mean, what really is the likely number of acquisitions the Rangers are going to make this off-season? I would be pretty surprised if the number is more than 4... It's definitely not going to be 8.
With the cap situation, I would be surprised if the number even hits 4 tbh

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I missed the 1991 draft, Kisio wasn't on my list. What a weird setup:
The 1991 NHL Dispersal and Expansion Drafts were held via telephone conference call on May 30, 1991. The dispersal draft took place to fill the roster of the league's only expansion team for the 1991–92 season, the San Jose Sharks, first from the Minnesota North Stars pool of players, and then from the rest of the NHL pool of players (to re-stock the North Stars' roster and to fill out the Sharks' roster).

Tamer and Jeff Bloemberg are the others.
Yeah those sharks owners really screwed the north stars.
All goes back to that Cleveland/Minnesota merger. Same ownership groups and whatnot.
That would never happen today.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yeah those sharks owners really screwed the north stars.
All goes back to that Cleveland/Minnesota merger. Same ownership groups and whatnot.
That would never happen today.

At the time, the compromise they worked out was better for Minnesota... mainly because the Gunds, who are the owners you're talking about, had been pushing to simply relocate the North Stars to the Bay Area. This way, Minnesota got to keep their team. Unfortunately for North Stars fans, the new owners wanted to move them too. IIRC, they almost moved them to Anaheim.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I want to buy your dad a beer!
This is amazing parenting.
Lmao yeah it's hilarious looking back. I actually just looked and Nashville was '98, not 2000 so I was actually only 8 years old and not 10 like I thought. I think me being 8 actually makes it funnier for some reason.

I'm going to have to bring this parenting skill with me when I have kids.

Reactions: Thirty One

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean, what really is the likely number of acquisitions the Rangers are going to make this off-season? I would be pretty surprised if the number is more than 4... It's definitely not going to be 8.

Ok, back to being serious (though lol I do think some of those lines would be fun to watch), this is definitely a great point.

We don’t have a stacked roster, but it’s also not easy for Gorton to get every important piece of the future puzzle the opportunity they need to develop.

*If we add a center we got to move one. Ziba, Strome, Chytil and Howden. Are there any takers?

*At LW, I don’t think we necessarily want to give Lemieux a — smaller — role going forward. I think we feel that he brings things we want more of. How much TOI will he get? Kreider. Panarin. Laf. I also think that Howden is a better fit at LW...

*At RW we got at least Buch, Kakko and Gauthier right now. How about Kravy? Fast?

*I don’t think that Miller must play from Day 1. Hajak looked good last season (it’s easy to forget), but wore down a bit. He has had a lot of time to practice. A year does make a difference at that age. Lindgren really establishes himself. Reunanen had a sick camp last season, but was lost at the end in the numbers. We have the two dinosaurs. It’s not like Gorton can just add someone and pretend like it rains.

I wouldn’t fall off a chair we didn’t add anyone besides Laf. I would however be surprised if we saw two new faces on the roster besides Laf.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I think ADA is our best trade chip at bringing back a center.

I think any trade that involves ADA but is not bringing back a future 1/2C who is ADA's age or younger is a bad idea.

Reactions: and 99 others

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
There are a lot of players that would say they put very little weight in most statistics for rating performance, let alone advanced stats. Tony is just more outspoken than most. It doesn't change his ability to play the game, what a dumb argument.

Also, Tony wouldn't be the one speaking at his arbitration hearing lol

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Not bad for a late 1st round pick eh

OTOH, those are scoring stats based right?

Lundkvist for long stretches (I think) was the only RHS on his team. We all know how PP scoring works. Sweet spot on the right PP and pts take off.

Not to take anything away from him. But remember that he — for example — surely wouldn’t have made any national teams even if they were best of the SHL. He is far from being Karlsson two on the PPQB. He doesn’t skate like Quinn Hughes. He is small. 5’9 and definitely not thick built. Etc etc etc.

He is a great prospect. But I just want to temper expectations a little bit. Look at Toby Enström. Atlanta and Winnipeg loved him. PP, PK and 5 on 5. He did it all. 11 good seasons in the NHL. Topped 50 pts twice. Played a ton for stretches. I don’t want to cap Lundkvist’s potential, but that is what I think that he reasonably can become in the NHL. And the road there don’t have to be super straight either. With that said, with Ds it’s about execution as much as pure talent. Nobody expected Lidstrom or Keith and co to become as good as they did. Who knows with someone like Lundkvist. He couldn’t possibly have executed better than he have so far. Just, don’t expect someone that will set the ice on fire when he comes over. ;)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Lundkvist for long stretches (I think) was the only RHS on his team. We all know how PP scoring works. Sweet spot on the right PP and pts take off.

Not to take anything away from him. But remember that he — for example — surely wouldn’t have made any national teams even if they were best of the SHL. He is far from being Karlsson two on the PPQB. He doesn’t skate like Quinn Hughes. He is small. 5’9 and definitely not thick built. Etc etc etc.

He is a great prospect. But I just want to temper expectations a little bit. Look at Toby Enström. Atlanta and Winnipeg loved him. PP, PK and 5 on 5. He did it all. 11 good seasons in the NHL. Topped 50 pts twice. Played a ton for stretches. I don’t want to cap Lundkvist’s potential, but that is what I think that he reasonably can become in the NHL. And the road there don’t have to be super straight either. With that said, with Ds it’s about execution as much as pure talent. Nobody expected Lidstrom or Keith and co to become as good as they did. Who knows with someone like Lundkvist. He couldn’t possibly have executed better than he have so far. Just, don’t expect someone that will set the ice on fire when he comes over. ;)

Setting the ice on fire is a strong tactic for slowing down the good teams.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
To be honest I don't think he needs to be Erik Karlsson 2.0

He just needs to be able to competently play 3rd pairing minutes when he inevitably comes over haha

Reactions: Ola

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He measured in at 5'11" 1/4 at the combine 2 years ago.

I don't know if hes grown or not, but I'm pretty sure that he didn't shrink.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This is what Gorton should do:

Deal 1. Zibanejad to MTL for Domi and Caufield

Deal 2. Buch, Chytil and Lundkvist for Laine and David Gustafsson

Deal 3. Offer sheet Sergachev, 5 years 7.5m per

Deal 4. Buy-out Staal and Smith.

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?

Yes...why do you do the things you do?

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
My "Hank retires" offseason scenario

1) Georgiev + Carolina 1st to EDM for 14th overall

2) DeAngelo + Howden + 14th overall to EDM for Monahan + Jankowski

3) Smith to OTT for Gaborik's contract + 4th round pick (Gaborik goes on LTIR)

4) Strome + 2021 2nd for Jonas Brodin

5) Marc Staal bought out

UFA: Kyle Clifford (2 years, $1.75m AAV), Dylan DeMelo (2 years, $1.5m AAV), Greiss (2 years, $1.5m)

Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Panarin - Monahan - Kakko
Kreider - Chytil - Gauthier
Lemieux - Jankowski - Clifford
PDG/Barron

Brodin - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Miller/Hajek - DeMelo

Shesty
Greiss

Reactions: Doriva

aufheben