Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LI

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
My only concern with giving Tony a short deal is that if the team decides to keep him, then they will have shot themselves in the foot because Tony in 2 years time 1 year from UFA is going to be EXPENSIVE and with so many players coming up for new contracts around that time it's not going to help matters at that time.

Agreed, but he's going to be expensive in two years regardless. He could very well be a cap casualty either way.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can anyone point out the 9 players the Rangers lost in expansion drafts since the 90's from the list below?

Brad Brown
Chris Tamer
Dmitri Subbotin
Garth Tapper
Gordon Shumway
Jason Marshall
Jean-Luc Bellefeuille
Jeff Bloemberg
Joe Cirella
John Vanbiesbrouck
Mark Laforest
Mark Mowers
Mathieu Schneider
Mike Richter
Milan Hnilicka
Nick Holden
Oscar Lindberg
Peter Ferraro
Sean Pronger
Steven King

Get all 9 without looking and you:
1. Are kinda old
2. Have a ridiculous memory

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Can anyone point out the 9 players the Rangers lost in expansion drafts since the 90's from the list below?

Brad Brown
Chris Tamer
Dmitri Subbotin
Garth Tapper
Gordon Shumway
Jason Marshall
Jean-Luc Bellefeuille
Jeff Bloemberg
Joe Cirella
John Vanbiesbrouck
Mark Laforest
Mark Mowers
Mathieu Schneider
Mike Richter
Milan Hnilicka
Nick Holden
Oscar Lindberg
Peter Ferraro
Sean Pronger
Steven King

1. Are kinda old
I know Richter is one because I remember being 10 years old and losing my mind about my favorite player getting taken by Nashville. And my dad adding insult to injury by teasing me about the Rangers signing Khabibulin to replace him, eventually literally chanting Khabibulin at me whenever I brought it up.

I also remember Tamer because when he took the slapshot that fractured Richter's skull as a member of Atlanta Thrashers I only knew who he was because of him being the player they took from us.

Beezer was traded to Vancouver, for what became Lidster I think, before that Panthers expansion draft.

Lindberg went to VGK. Schneider went to CBJ.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I know Richter is one because I remember being 10 years old and losing my mind about my favorite player getting taken by Nashville. And my dad adding insult to injury by teasing me about the Rangers signing Khabibulin to replace him, eventually literally chanting Khabibulin at me whenever I brought it up.
This is amazing parenting.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I want to buy your dad a beer!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
At the trade deadline, Lehner was traded from Chicago to Vegas, via Toronto. Chicago retained 2.5 mil, Toronto retained 1.1 mil, and Vegas was left with a 1.4 mil cap hit.

Can we accomplish something similar with Hank? We retain 4.25 mil and another team retains 2.125 mil, leaving the final team with a 2.125 mil cap hit.

I think SJ could be a good spot. He gets to play with Karlsson and I'm sure they aren't ready to just throw in the towel and rebuild. They have too many long term deals. Toronto got a 5th round pick for their trouble, so maybe it would cost us as much as a 3rd, if the go-between retains as much as possible. Maybe a team like Ottawa or Detroit would act as the go-between. Bonuses have already been paid, so they would only be on the hook for 1.125 mil in actual salary.

Maybe SJ pays a 3rd and a 7th, with the 3rd going to the go-between and the 7th to us (so we can draft the next Hank).

We would save 4.25 mil, as opposed to a buy out, which would only save us 3 mil, and would cost us another 1.5 mil the following year.

Reactions: kovazub94

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I also remember Tamer because when he took the slapshot that fractured Richter's skull as a member of Atlanta Thrashers I only knew who he was because of him being the player they took from us.

Beezer was traded to Vancouver, for what became Lidster I think, before that Panthers expansion draft.

Lindberg went to VGK. Schneider went to CBJ.

I think Subbotin went to the Wild. And Bloemberg went to SJ. Cirella went to FLA?

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is what Gorton should do:

Deal 1. Zibanejad to MTL for Domi and Caufield

Deal 2. Buch, Chytil and Lundkvist for Laine and David Gustafsson

Deal 3. Offer sheet Sergachev, 5 years 7.5m per

Deal 4. Buy-out Staal and Smith.

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?

There's not a single move among those that I like except for buying out one (not both) of Staal and Smith.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?

So we go from having not having a lot of center depth to having no center depth at all?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?
Thoughts? Yes I have some.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
At the trade deadline, Lehner was traded from Chicago to Vegas, via Toronto. Chicago retained 2.5 mil, Toronto retained 1.1 mil, and Vegas was left with a 1.4 mil cap hit.

Can we accomplish something similar with Hank? We retain 4.25 mil and another team retains 2.125 mil, leaving the final team with a 2.125 mil cap hit.

I think SJ could be a good spot. He gets to play with Karlsson and I'm sure they aren't ready to just throw in the towel and rebuild. They have too many long term deals. Toronto got a 5th round pick for their trouble, so maybe it would cost us as much as a 3rd, if the go-between retains as much as possible. Maybe a team like Ottawa or Detroit would act as the go-between. Bonuses have already been paid, so they would only be on the hook for 1.125 mil in actual salary.

Maybe SJ pays a 3rd and a 7th, with the 3rd going to the go-between and the 7th to us (so we can draft the next Hank).

We would save 4.25 mil, as opposed to a buy out, which would only save us 3 mil, and would cost us another 1.5 mil the following year.

Sounds good in theory, but why would Hank want to finish his career with the bottom feeding Sharts?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?

A+ for creativity
F+ for the final product.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017

Brad Brown
Chris Tamer
Dmitri Subbotin
Garth Tapper
Gordon Shumway
Jason Marshall
Jean-Luc Bellefeuille
Jeff Bloemberg
Joe Cirella
John Vanbiesbrouck
Mark Laforest
Mark Mowers
Mathieu Schneider
Mike Richter
Milan Hnilicka
Nick Holden
Oscar Lindberg
Peter Ferraro
Sean Pronger
Steven King

1. Are kinda old

Lindberg, Schneider, Subbotin, King, Kisio, and Richter for sure

I'm pretty sure Laforest and Cirella but not positive

No idea the last one. Tamer seems to ring a bell.

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Laine-Domi-Kakko
Panarin-Laf-Caufield
Kreider-Gustafsson-Kravy
Lemieux-Howden-Gauthier
Sergachev-Trouba
Miller-TDA
Lindgren-Fox

Thoughts?
What are your PK pairings?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How about these:

Trades:
Buch + Lemieux for Klefbom
ADA + Howden for Lindholm + Bennett + CAL 2nd '20
Strome for Montour + BUF 2nd '20 + BUF 2nd '21
Smith for Grabner

Sign:
Clifford - 2 years @ $1.75m
Girgensons - 2 years @ $1.5m
Montour - 2 years @ $3m per season

Buyout:
Staal
Hank (if he doesn't retire)

Kreider-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Lindholm-Gauthier
Lafreniere-Chytil-Grabner
Bennett-Girgensons-Clifford

Klefbom-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Miller/Reunanen-Montour

Shestyorkin
Georgiev

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How about these:

Trades:
Buch + Lemieux for Klefbom
ADA + Howden for Lindholm + Bennett + CAL 2nd '20
Strome for Montour + BUF 2nd '20 + BUF 2nd '21
Smith for Grabner

Sign:
Clifford - 2 years @ $1.75m
Girgensons - 2 years @ $1.5m
Montour - 2 years @ $3m per season

Buyout:
Staal
Hank (if he doesn't retire)

Kreider-Zib-Kakko
Panarin-Lindholm-Gauthier
Lafreniere-Chytil-Grabner
Bennett-Girgensons-Clifford

Klefbom-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Hajek/Miller/Reunanen-Montour

Shestyorkin
Georgiev

Run for cover, everyone here become really jealous when you come out — awesome, brilliant (?) — trade proposals.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sounds good in theory, but why would Hank want to finish his career with the bottom feeding Sharts?

I'm not sure that he would, but he and Karlsson are friends, and SJ could definitely use a goalie. Hank would have a good chance of getting the #1 job. Besides that, SJ was in the conference finals the year before, and they have some cap space, so maybe they can rebound from an awful year.

If not SJ, there could be other options that might be more appealing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

And saving face for everyone to not have a legend being bought out by his original team.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Lindberg, Schneider, Subbotin, King, Kisio, and Richter for sure

I'm pretty sure Laforest and Cirella but not positive

No idea the last one. Tamer seems to ring a bell.
I missed the 1991 draft, Kisio wasn't on my list. What a weird setup:
The 1991 NHL Dispersal and Expansion Drafts were held via telephone conference call on May 30, 1991. The dispersal draft took place to fill the roster of the league's only expansion team for the 1991–92 season, the San Jose Sharks, first from the Minnesota North Stars pool of players, and then from the rest of the NHL pool of players (to re-stock the North Stars' roster and to fill out the Sharks' roster).

Tamer and Jeff Bloemberg are the others.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean, what really is the likely number of acquisitions the Rangers are going to make this off-season? I would be pretty surprised if the number is more than 4... It's definitely not going to be 8.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I missed the 1991 draft, Kisio wasn't on my list. What a weird setup:
The 1991 NHL Dispersal and Expansion Drafts were held via telephone conference call on May 30, 1991. The dispersal draft took place to fill the roster of the league's only expansion team for the 1991–92 season, the San Jose Sharks, first from the Minnesota North Stars pool of players, and then from the rest of the NHL pool of players (to re-stock the North Stars' roster and to fill out the Sharks' roster).

Tamer and Jeff Bloemberg are the others.

It was a weird setup. That's because, technically, the Sharks weren't an expansion, but a reinstatement of the Seals/Barons franchise that merged with the North Stars in '78, when the owners of the Barons bought the North Stars and absorbed the Barons into it. When time came to expand into the Bay Area, the same owners basically exchanged their control of the North Stars for the right to own the expansion Sharks. The expansion fee was $45m, in line with other expansion fees at the time, but they basically got the "expansion" team for $7m, once you account for the $38m they got from selling their stake in the North Stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad