Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Can't take Staal away from AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 116805

Who's selling the team off?

Trading literally everyone and deliberately sucking doesn't work.

I'm not against recouping assets for NHLer's if it comes to that, but I have zero interest in dealing McDonagh, Zuccarello, Kreider, and Miller.

That was the premise of my question to *Go Away Staal, whom I originally asked the question. He was suggesting to sell off the team, sans McD.
Which in my opinion would be not very wise.
If you are tearing up the team and looking for picks and kids, he should also go. Which I am not for btw

*Edit: falsely accused Staalwars of this, it was a different poster.

member 116805

Sure, but I don't think a full on fire sale is really necessary or realistic.

If this play persists, We'll see the UFA's go with Zucc and Hayes possibly as options to move between March and the draft.
If you are going to press the reset button on this team, and do a full restart, McD shoukd be a part of the pieces you trade in the process, not even a question.
Why would you keep him and ice a team that cannot compete, and not get assets back for him instead of signing him to a retirement contract?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't think my scenario is pressing the reset button.

A full rebuild is unnecessary. This team could fail to win 30 games this year and still have a decent base to work with.

If you (not you specifically) want to do a full restart, then yeah obviously that means trade everyone. I don't think its needed but I do think it would be wise to maximize on the value of certain guys should the wheels fall off this year.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Who's selling the team off?

Trading literally everyone and deliberately sucking doesn't work.

I'm not against recouping assets for NHLer's if it comes to that, but I have zero interest in dealing McDonagh, Zuccarello, Kreider, and Miller.

Yeah, they are all part of the main core of the New York Franchise - we can as well tank and sell the remaining pieces until we get the next generation talent, and build a team around the future generation talent.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

Very true. I've always felt this way. But I'm glad Brooks calls out the coaching, too. Using DD so much while under-utilizing our supposed top-6 centers and actual PMDs are just baffling choices.

We can't be a one-line team when our one line is an average (still good) first line. The defense is a big mess and AV keeps swapping pairs seemingly in a panic mode to get instant chemistry instead of giving things time to gel.

One thing that's pretty clear to me is that we really do need a defensive center. Not having a Boyle or Moore (or even a Lindberg) is painful this year. Hayes just isn't fitting that defensive C bill at all.

Not too much out there. Torrey Mitchell? Maybe swap Holden for an Eric Fehr type?

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like what some people are forgetting is that to get better in a trade you have to make a sacrifice. I know Machinehead is 100% against trading any of our core and I am completely with you on where you stand with the way rebuilds work. But to take both Kreider and Miller off the table just voids any possibility of having a strong trade. Do you think you will get better by selling Nash at the deadline? Absolutely not, rentals are traded for picks. No cup-contender is giving up a young top-6 forward for 3 months of Rick Nash. Brassard was a great player and we loved him here, AND he was a stud in the playoffs, we sacrificed for the benefit of our future. I made the FireSale post in the main boards just to see where there would be interest. The fact that fans do not value our players properly does not mean that the GM's of their respective teams don't understand that getting Kreids or Miller will require a massive overpayment.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
TBH I liked the (otherwise obvious) moves that AV made for NJD game - where removed 3 weak links in Cracknell, Carey and Kampher. But DD stayed and AV didn't have an option but to play him. I hope Nieves get a chance sooner than later and Miller goes back to C because DD just doesn't cut it. Vesey or Grabner together with Nieves and Fast should be fine but can they become a shutdown line this team needs?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Very true. I've always felt this way. But I'm glad Brooks calls out the coaching, too. Using DD so much while under-utilizing our supposed top-6 centers and actual PMDs are just baffling choices.

We can't be a one-line team when our one line is an average (still good) first line. The defense is a big mess and AV keeps swapping pairs seemingly in a panic mode to get instant chemistry instead of giving things time to gel.

One thing that's pretty clear to me is that we really do need a defensive center. Not having a Boyle or Moore (or even a Lindberg) is painful this year. Hayes just isn't fitting that defensive C bill at all.

Not too much out there. Torrey Mitchell? Maybe swap Holden for an Eric Fehr type?

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking too with the D pairs AND the offense. Give them a few games to gel, develop chemistry! It isn't supposed to happen instantaneously. AV has no idea on when to use patience to his advantage. There IS a learning curve here with all the turnover this team did in the off season.

Reactions: OnlyRevolutions

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Every morning Dom Luszczyszyn updates his projected standings for this season based on the previous night results. They are posted on The Athletic website. The hockey analytics chart guy. He has the Rangers 6th from the bottom. 85 points. 17% chance of making the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: YearOfTheCat

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Screen-Shot-2017-10-16-at-8.55.17-AM.png

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Every morning Dom Luszczyszyn updates his projected standings for this season based on the previous night results. They are posted on The Athletic website. The hockey analytics chart guy. He has the Rangers 6th from the bottom. 85 points. 17% chance of making the playoffs.

Too early to transpose the minimal performance-to-date (sample) into a full season prediction.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don’t think anyone should be shocked if they miss the playoffs

Although I expect (hope) then to pull it together

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
With the rep this draft have, how many teams are trading their 1st?

It might change though when it gets more clear which teams likely are picking in the 25-31 range, but I think firsts in 18’ will be costly.

OL- Yeah I agree, even if we aren’t going deep in the PO I also prefer to get in rather then getting a pick in day the 12-16 range... Just think getting in and being an organization that competes is more valuable then picking 5-10 spots higher. If you start to get into the bottom 3-4 a year like this though it’s a different story... ;)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
With the rep this draft have, how many teams are trading their 1st?

It might change though when it gets more clear which teams likely are picking in the 25-31 range, but I think firsts in 18’ will be costly.

OL- Yeah I agree, even if we aren’t going deep in the PO I also prefer to get in rather then getting a pick in day the 12-16 range... Just think getting in and being an organization that competes is more valuable then picking 5-10 spots higher. If you start to get into the bottom 3-4 a year like this though it’s a different story... ;)

Is this suppose to be a weak 1st round draft?

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Breaking up the KBZ line is my last straw. I f***ing cant with this anymore. Buchnevich did nothing to deserve such punishment. 2nd line sure if you desperately think he needs to be switched out. BUT PLAYING HIM 12 MINUTES A GAME WITH CRACK AND GRABS ARE YOU KIDDING ME. Im nauseous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna