Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Can't take Staal away from AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
A question regarding the thread's title: Do you remove AV's dignity when you remove Staal from him?

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Hahahahahhaahhahaha

Desharnais as the second-line C and breaking up the KZB line and sending Buch to the fourth line..

Tell me again why AV deserves to keep his job

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Told you it was an absolute lock his next step would be to break up the top line in order to try and get other players going.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Defense is fine for now. ADA with McDonagh will be a roller coaster, but I’m open to trying that pairing.
Kill those lines with fire. DD is garbage.

Reactions: bl02

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Shattenkirk handling is already headed towards disaster. It's really inexcusable.

If AV felt/feels that Shatty isn't defensively responsible, and cannot handle top mins, they shouldn't have signed him. This should have been discussed with the FO. Especially after Yandle.

I liked the signing personally, but if AV is going to be around and this is his feeling, it's a terrible signing.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No forward on this team inspires much confidence right now especially 5 on 5 but last guy that should be on the 4th line is Buch.

Team and coaching quickly unraveling and grasping at straws:
I'm cool with going down for a top 2 pick this year and getting rid of entire coaching staff for a fresh start.
Problem is that in the end if we miss the playoffs we will probably not be bad enough or as bad as some of the Arizonas in the league and wind up with more like 10-15 pick.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Arizona will end up with a better record than the Rangers IMO.

They may not be a playoff team yet, but remember thats a team dealing with a new coach and a half dozen new faces. It'll take them some time to gel. Plus their division sucks and the Rangers have to del with the Metro.

Also, If AV feels that KS isn't defensively responsible, he shouldn't be pairing him with Staal.

Staal is going to kill all of the good things that Shattenkirk brings to the table, and Staal himself isn't exactly a defensive stalwart.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Shattenkirk handling is already headed towards disaster. It's really inexcusable.

If AV felt/feels that Shatty isn't defensively responsible, and cannot handle top mins, they shouldn't have signed him. This should have been discussed with the FO. Especially after Yandle.

I liked the signing personally, but if AV is going to be around and this is his feeling, it's a terrible signing.

Totally hear what you're saying but shatty really can't handle first line d responibilities. In St. Louis he played with several outstanding dmen year in year out.
Not sure if TD is good enough to handle those responsibilities either but honestly happy he's getting a chance . Idk everything is a mess right now lol.
I would rather see TD with 27 and lose 5-3 than holden or staal with 27 and lose anyway. At least develop TD and lets see what he is

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The Shatty minutes thing is a tough one. Smith and Skjei is some semblance of a known quantity, so they stay a pair. And then you give TD a chance to play with McD, which makes RD/LD sense. Shatty gets stuck with Staal. And then 18 rides pine after puck watching that goal and then there's a 5-man rotation, upping his minutes in the 3rd.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And I just praised him for his moves against NJD. :huh:

One of the first things I originally like with AV was that he kept his line combinations unchanged even when a line underperformed for a game or two or three. It created continuity and gave players confidence that coaching staff will let players work things out.
Yeah, AV is short of a responsible checking line center right now but it's not an excuse for keep moving DD up the line, first from 4th to 3rd and now to 2nd lines. :thumbd:
Whatever AV is doing will not only prevents lines from developing chemistry and gelling together into a unit, it is also instilling uncertainty and hesitation to the players. AV is making one bad decision after another is (another) sign of a coach unraveling.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
literally...zero surprise with the lines...just awful...pretty much what you should expect at this point.

Frankly if Marc Staal lined up as your #1 center...it wouldnt shock me.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The team has scored 3 or more just once this season. This shouldn’t be surprising. I know most of you have no patience with AV, but you’re really overreacting.

No one on the team is going. Not even Zibanejad anymore.

Reactions: Riche16

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
There's just so much wrong with those line combinations. Nash shouldn't be getting top line minutes. He shouldn't be playing with Zucc. Deharnais with Kreider and Miller is completely random, but I have a feeling that might actually work. Put Buchnevich on that line with Miller centering and it's a nice 2nd line.

Vesey and Hayes can suck together for all I care. Poor Fast. Buchnevich on the 4th line rotational spot is a disaster. AV is going to ruin the kid.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
6a0147e1d4f40f970b016300a4e7ea970d-800wi

AV gonna AV with the lines and D pairs.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

AV doing AV things

Buch on the fourth line, Desharnais centering the second

Like, what in God's name is this.

Nash on the top line? Why does he deserve this? Because he finally scored a goal on a limb wrister?

Buch on the 4th line because..... AV feels like it?

Shattenkirk shoehorned into Staals pairing?

Fast on the 3rd line on his second game back?

And finally Deharnais on the 2nd f***ing line?

Fire this coach. He's out of it

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is pretty dumb.

DD really isn't good enough to be playing these minutes. He'll show flashes but I think you have to kind of accept that you're a bit short a center. Move Miller to C and live with some growing pains, put Buch on his wing, stop playing career AHLers and mediocre 4th liners on the 4th line and wondering why it's struggling.

I also have some issues with playing DeAngelo with McDonagh. Great, give the kids a chance, but it's putting him in a position to fail IMO.

The team has scored 3 or more just once this season. This shouldn’t be surprising. I know most of you have no patience with AV, but you’re really overreacting.

No one on the team is going. Not even Zibanejad anymore.

Sorry man but this team shouldn't be unprepared to start the season again and again and again and have to have the coaches panic and throw the lines into a blender. That's what I'm really tired of. The coaches aren't preparing this team for the season and I'm just tired of it. Gee how come all these other teams can be ready to go and players have chemistry and they play like they have a purpose, know where their teammates are, and have a gameplan, while the Rangers look like they have no clue what they're doing out there? THis shouldn't be some magical voodoo bullshit about finding the perfect line combinations that magically fix everything, it's about the coaches preparing the team for the season and they fail at it again and again and again.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I can't wait for Crosby and Malkin to eat Desharnais for lunch and spit out the bones. Poor guy, he's going to get massacred.

Reactions: Ori

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This is pretty dumb.

DD really isn't good enough to be playing these minutes. He'll show flashes but I think you have to kind of accept that you're a bit short a center. Move Miller to C and live with some growing pains, put Buch on his wing, stop playing career AHLers and mediocre 4th liners on the 4th line and wondering why it's struggling.

I also have some issues with playing DeAngelo with McDonagh. Great, give the kids a chance, but it's putting him in a position to fail IMO.

Sorry man but this team shouldn't be unprepared to start the season again and again and again and have to have the coaches panic and throw the lines into a blender. That's what I'm really tired of. The coaches aren't preparing this team for the season and I'm just tired of it. Gee how come all these other teams can be ready to go and players have chemistry and they play like they have a purpose, know where their teammates are, and have a gameplan, while the Rangers look like they have no clue what they're doing out there? THis shouldn't be some magical voodoo bull**** about finding the perfect line combinations that magically fix everything, it's about the coaches preparing the team for the season and they fail at it again and again and again.
Spot on. It's insanity what this coach does to start each and every season he's been in charge.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Like I don't think it's really as easy as just "oh yeah these lines are the best never change them it'll all work out just like a video game" but as I said I feel like these shakeups are more a result of the poor preparation on the coaching staff. Why does it look like the forwards have no gameplan or clue what they're doing? Are all of the forwards just that dumb and bad at hockey? There's constant miscommunication and bad passing and no support of the defense at all.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I blame coaching staff more than anything right now.

If they are in danger of missing we should be able to get a nice return for Nash Grabner Desharnais and Holden

I’d seriously consider dealing Hayes over the summer too.

Regarding the D

Only AV would look at Shattenkirk and say nah no way we can give u first pairing mins too offensive not good enough D. Then put in a 21 year old offensive dman that needs to be sheltered who u just scratched a ton of times and put him in the top pairing. Makes zero sense. ZERO

And I missed the two games this weekend but prior to Buchnevich was our best player how is he on the 4th line??

Why is Paul Carey an nhler on this team?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad