Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part IX: Can't take Staal away from AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Has Nieves been cut yet? Going into the season, I figured Nieves would end up getting a chance at some point with the weaker F depth this year.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I like this. That Vesey-Hayes-Nash line tore it up for a little while at the beginning of last season.

I want Nash to have more limited minutes, and I think Vesey has worked well as being the first man in on the puck

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
I don't like seeing Vesey on the 4th line either, especially given some end of season and preseason chemistry and the possibility he could break out a bit offensively. But for now he does strike me more as a grinder type. Not that those guys need to be stapled to a 4th line. He adds some stability to Desharnais - Carey. Neither of those two impress me. Carey is OK down there to start. Desharnais gets knocked off the puck easily, so Vesey can help with that aspect. Grabner shouldn't be down there either, though. We all know (expect) he won't be putting up goals like he did last year but he definitely CAN generate some great offense and is reliable enough to deserve minutes where he can get a breakaway. This is a case of having too many wingers of top 9 ability, or even top 6 ability. No STUDS but a ton of guys who can get it done. Also a reason Jagr wasn't a fit here. But this is a good thing to have with inevitable injuries. We all know that one or two of the guys (when Fast returns) playing on the 4th line any given night, CAN slot up a line or even two as needed.

We also have way more wiggle room with the D corps. A lot of guys can move up a pairing and we have a few who can be called up and deserve a shot. So it all boils down to chemistry for me, really. And I think we see that evolve as the season progresses. We're not in a GREAT spot, but we're not in a bad one either. Could go either way. If the goalies play well, some guys step up a bit more, new/young additions acclimate... we can be very strong. If the opposite occurs, we're basically a bubble team in this division. Kind of a weird feeling, but I'm psyched to see how things play out. This should be an interesting, if not outright fun, season.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I doubt Vesey is being pigeonholed... you'll probably see him with Hayes a lot... lines aren't always like welded steal--no two, especially three, players ever have identical TOIs.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I’ve changed my mind, I’m on board with a Jurco claim. I don’t think he’ll drop to us though, and it’s no huge loss.

Also, his sister is really attractive.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My guess as to why Vesey's on the fourth line is AV's preference to find pairs that work together. Carey looked his best with Vesey in preseason. Then, you've got KZB line and its history, Miller-Hayes-Grabner and its history, and that leaves the two savvy vets with Chytil. I get the logic even though on paper you'd think Grabner would be on the fourth and Vesey would be on the third. (Which you may well see anyway if AV continues to show faith in Miller and Hayes' defensive improvement and/or when Fast comes back and Carey departs.)

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
My guess as to why Vesey's on the fourth line is AV's preference to find pairs that work together. Carey looked his best with Vesey in preseason. Then, you've got KZB line and its history, Miller-Hayes-Grabner and its history, and that leaves the two savvy vets with Chytil. I get the logic even though on paper you'd think Grabner would be on the fourth and Vesey would be on the third. (Which you may well see anyway if AV continues to show faith in Miller and Hayes' defensive improvement and/or when Fast comes back and Carey departs.)

Well said. On top of it, we have to play to strengths, and our greatest (or one of) is our depth at wing. Play Vesey on the fourth with some penalty kill time. Expectations are kept on the defensive side, and Vesey gets to be the go to scorer on a line against bottom-tier competition. Hopefully, by the time Fast is back, Vesey is ready either to take on Grabner or somebody's spot, or has proven too effective in his role to bother changing it.

Plus, he's in a contract year. I'd rather put Vesey in a spot to hit good scoring efficiency rates (p/60) than good raw numbers if we don't need him to.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Jagr at $1 million with a bonus incentive deal that could total an additional $1 million? Hmm....But, but I thought he was going to sign for at least $3 million? What was that? Oh he ended up signing for less? A lot less?

Chytil making the team closed the door on Jagr. Jagr would have been fine here on the 3RW and 2nd PP unit.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Jagr at $1 million with a bonus incentive deal that could total an additional $1 million? Hmm....But, but I thought he was going to sign for at least $3 million? What was that? Oh he ended up signing for less? A lot less?

Chytil making the team closed the door on Jagr. Jagr would have been fine here on the 3RW and 2nd PP unit.
Jagr doesn’t play C. Plus see all the posts re old and slow.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Why would anyone want Jagr? He's not a big point producer anymore, one of the worst skaters in the NHL, no defense, would further take time away from young players.

He is a big point producer when compared to his ice time. He's a slow skater but he's not a bad skater, incredible strength on his skates, he's good defensively in the sense that he doesn't have to do much defending, his line has the puck most of the time.

How does a team like Florida let their "best all-around forward" get away??

Panthers is ran horribly, Tallon has barely made a single good move since he re-took control.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Gonna guess the plan is to sign Desjardin to a Booth type 2 way deal , waive him and hope they find better on waivers . If not he spares

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This isn't correct, just that they have to go through waivers again for us to send them down to Hartford..

Only if more than 1 team put in a waiver claim. If a player is claimed and none of the other teams have put in a claim, he can be sent down without going through waivers again.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Is also, and will always be, a die-hard Flyers/Philly guy. Shame they're loaded on D.

Move with a pick for a C imo. Bring up Pionk. We'll be OK.
Why not just build your RD with Shatty-Pionk-ADA? McD-Skjei-Smith down the left side.

This would be for next year after Holden/Staal get traded/bought out

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
WOuldnt it be cool if even one of our beat reporters was reporting on what is going on at practice? Have the lines changed at all? We wouldn’t know. No one following the team. It’s amazing. Only info we get these days is from the NYR twitter account

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd trade for Read @ 50%. His speed would be a nice addition to the lower lines. He is a good PKer as well. if he works out, I would think he would be a bit loyal to re-signing at a discount considering the Rangers stepped up to keep him in the league. Right hand shot.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
WOuldnt it be cool if even one of our beat reporters was reporting on what is going on at practice? Have the lines changed at all? We wouldn’t know. No one following the team. It’s amazing. Only info we get these days is from the NYR twitter account

Be pretty difficult seeing as the team is on a team building trip to Lake Placid.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, New York Post had an article Brett was writing about Mt. Everest climbers yesterday - so I expect great team spirits this season. :)
Maybe it`s a new strategy by the org. - projected NYR lines remain a secret until the puck drops in less than 48 hours.
Anyway I`m excited - games start tomorrow at 7 pm ET with Leafs vs WPG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad