Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIV: Less than 24 hours till draft time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I mean you can if there's no market for him and you need the cap space. I don't see that being the case though.

I'm tapped out on theories as to why they haven't QO'd him though. It's very odd even if they have a trade lined up.
I think they best theory is the acquiring team prefers to negotiate a multi year deal. Once he accepts the QO he can walk to UFA. It's not bulletproof logic but it's a working theory. Its leverage, just not a lot.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Like many on here not the biggest Strome fan but you just can not let a guy that was on pace for 70 points (yep I know the Panarin effect) walk away for nothing.

Didn't we do exactly that with Zherdev? And at that time, he was our best player. Not saying they should walk away from Strome without trying to turn him into another asset, but it has happened before.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well, that's the thing. We have no idea what balls Gorton is juggling. Obviously there is at least one plan that involves using that cap space for someone other than Strome, but who knows how it will play out.

If Strome doesn't get qualified and he signs somewhere else, it isn't the end of the world. Or maybe we don't qualify him, and our other plans fall through, and we end up re-signing him anyway.

Yeah I mean my original theory is that they're anticipating a deal that might require the cap space they'd use to re-sign him and don't want to risk an arbitration award that they can't walk away from. Maybe the trade market just disappeared and they're worried about being able to off-load him in that event.

That or the team acquiring him doesn't want to risk him getting a 1 year arb award so he can walk as a UFA.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think they best theory is the acquiring team prefers to negotiate a multi year deal. Once he accepts the QO he can walk to UFA. It's not bulletproof logic but it's a working theory. Its leverage, just not a lot.

Yeah that's kind of my thought process as well. Maybe if they're talking to Ottawa they're considering whether they want picks this year or next year and they're waiting to see who is on the board to make the call? That'd be really cutting it close for Ottawa though.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Does Strome + our other 1st rounder get us a 2c we are comfortable with? Or maybe its just strome and Anderson? He has to be geting traded if he isn't qualified unless they have a contract that hasn't been finished yet for Strome. Something is brewing

Reactions: RangersFan1994

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You would think if Strome got wind of Ottawa possibly looking at trading for him he would take less money from the Rangers lol.
I mean Ottawa is gonna have some really good young players but his point total will drop from 70 to 30 and be on a losing team for the next 2-3 years.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
You would think if Strome got wind of Ottawa possibly looking at trading for him he would take less money from the Rangers lol.
I mean Ottawa is gonna have some really good young players but his point total will drop from 70 to 30 and be on a losing team for the next 2-3 years.

good negotiation tactic.

Tony, check out those airline miles and Calgary winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad