Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVIII: Preparing for a huge letdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
McKenzie saying on radio he believes Tampa and NJD are the most interested with Arizona and Colorado being teams to watch for Shattenkirk.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Looking at the bigger UFA signings the last 5 years, they certainly have a horrendous track record...

Really? How so? Didn't Nash have his 40-goal season didn't Gaborik have his 40-goal seasons didn't Brad Richards score the clutch goals we brought him in for? maybe we are putting too much pressure on individual star players to carry the whole team this savior complex has to go one two players just aren't enough

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Really? How so? Didn't Nash have his 40-goal season didn't Gaborik have his 40-goal seasons didn't Brad Richards score the clutch goals we brought him in for? maybe we are putting too much pressure on individual star players to carry the whole team this savior complex has to go one two players just aren't enough

Nash wasn't a UFA signing.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

Nash was traded here. Not UFA.

Gaborik was a good pickup, but more than 5 years ago.

Who are the "big" UFA's we're talking about? Vesey? Hayes? Grabner? Klein? Girardi & Staal never reached UFA status.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Looking at the bigger UFA signings the last 5 years, they certainly have a horrendous track record...

And then you look at the Rangers post lockout. None of them were able to finish out their contracts.

Redden bought out 2 years in, Drury was donezo after year 3, Richards bought out after 3 years. Gomez traded 2 years in.

Gaborik was really the only we hit on, but that is so much money down the drain.. Very fortunate we were allowed the compliance BO. Hopefully we learned our lesson by now.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I get trading Stepan to get future assets, but why the hell did we buy out Girardi on top of it if this was a transition year?. literally zero reason to buy him out, he would have been cheaper to do it next year, if they're doing nothing with the 20M of cap space they have.

Agreed, and he could have helped us get a betterdraft pick :naughty:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Nash was traded here. Not UFA.

Gaborik was a good pickup, but more than 5 years ago.

Who are the "big" UFA's we're talking about? Vesey? Hayes? Grabner? Klein? Girardi & Staal never reached UFA status.

My OP was talking about the league wide UFA signings.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I get trading Stepan to get future assets, but why the hell did we buy out Girardi on top of it if this was a transition year?. literally zero reason to buy him out, he would have been cheaper to do it next year, if they're doing nothing with the 20M of cap space they have.

Just because they aren't offering Shattenkirk the moon doesn't mean they don't have a plan to use the cap space.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Just because they aren't offering Shattenkirk the moon doesn't mean they don't have a plan to use the cap space.

Nick Bonino, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau?

Alzner?

I hope to got they don't have a plan to use it on any of them.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Chris Nicholsâ€Â*@NicholsOnHockey 1m
1 minute ago

More
LeBrun: Teams such as #NYR, #Leafs, #Preds, #stlblues #LAKings have all reached out to Thornton. #SJSharks

Ranger logic.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I have a serious question. Our goal is to win a Stanley Cup right? Not be competitive, not win a few games, not hang around and be entertaining ... it's to win the CUP. The same goal every team should have. We would all agree on this right?

Then the next question is are we better than Pittsburgh now? NO
Is there anything we can do this year to be better than Pittsburgh? Probably not.

Why aren't we planning to make our run down the road when our cost controlled team is in it's prime and when we can plug in guys as we go along? You have to figure down the road Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Columbus, and Nashville will all be on the downside. Why not strike then? What would our competition be? Edmonton probably? Toronto?

I just think this retooling thing is sort of half pleasing the fan base and half trying to do the right thing.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

Yeah, I feel somewhat similar.

I am fine with them wanting to buy out Girardi if it meant playing these younger guys, but they have to do something with this cap space. If it's not Shattenkirk (and most signs point to it not), what are they doing with it?

Are they taking on bad contracts for assets? Great

Are they planning on trading for a good young player with a high cap hit? Great

But we're hearing about Thornton and Marleau and I'm just confused haha

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I have a serious question. Our goal is to win a Stanley Cup right? Not be competitive, not win a few games, not hang around and be entertaining ... it's to win the CUP. The same goal every team should have. We would all agree on this right?

Then the next question is are we better than Pittsburgh now? NO
Is there anything we can do this year to be better than Pittsburgh? Probably not.

Why aren't we planning to make our run down the road when our cost controlled team is in it's prime and when we can plug in guys as we go along? You have to figure down the road Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Columbus, and Nashville will all be on the downside. Why not strike then? What would our competition be? Edmonton probably? Toronto?

I just think this retooling thing is sort of half pleasing the fan base and half trying to do the right thing.

Logic has no place here. Be gone with you!

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Lmao odc is so far off AINEC.

Mac is awful manning the PP.

Yea lets see more of those pathetic wristers hoping for a deflection because zero velocity behind his slapshot nor can he get it through. He also goes braindead when carrying the puck up the ice after the Rangers classic drop pass to start the rush, with zero instincts to adjust when the opposing PKers are stifling it.

He used to be better than he was last season. I often said during the season and in the playoffs that we need to learn how to enter the zone with at least 3-4 skaters moving forward. Way too often we only have 1-2 guys moving forward while 3-4 guys are standing still.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nick Bonino, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau?

Alzner?

I hope to got they don't have a plan to use it on any of them.

Franson
Oduya
Gagner
Vanek
Kovalchuk
Radulov
Jagr
Boyle

Or, if you've got more of an imagination, potential trades.

It isn't a good UFA crop. But there are more players that can contribute than just Shattenkirk, Thornton, and Marleau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad