Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXV: July 1st Is Coming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
interest in Thornton (per Dreger), Marleau (per Constance) and Kovalchuk (per Brooks)

"rebuild on the fly" tho.

I'm totally fine with the Rangers signing these guys to short term deals. If they don't work out, trade them at the deadline.

I think sometimes people forget that a lot of these guys can teach young players different tricks or things they have learned over their careers.

I am not okay signing any of them past 2 years (1 for Marleau and Thornton, 2 for Kovalchuk)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If the roster stays as it is, we have two spots on the blue line, assuming we go with 7D.

If we re-sign Smith, that drops to one spot.

McDonagh, Skjei, Staal, DeAngelo, and Holden are all pretty much making the roster, barring anything wild.

Two (or one) spot open for Bereglazov, Graves and Pionk.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
He is but the Rangers actually need someone who SHOOTS right handed, sure Deangelo is one, and Zibanejad, who else is there? we have everyone who shoots left handed, there's one reason why the PP is complete crap at times as well, you can only put so many guys who shoot lefty on the power play.
I'm not ruling out Shattenkirk and another righty can be acquired before opening night.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I think even if we sign Smith, they need another good defenseman (doesn't have to be Shattenkirk, can be a trade), but just getting rid of Girardi isn't turning this defense into a world beater.. and we all know without a BIG time defenseman coming in who can play the right side, Staal and Holden are going to see more minutes than either Skjei, Deangelo or Smith (if re signed)

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
interest in Thornton (per Dreger), Marleau (per Constance) and Kovalchuk (per Brooks)

"rebuild on the fly" tho.

The old guys don't represent a long-term contract risk. They're probably out of here in two years. If we sign Nick Bonino and it doesn't work out he's here forever.

Giving Dan Girardi 20 minutes a night because of Veteran Intangibles is dumb, but so is putting young players in matchups they can't win, I'd be very surprised with a Zib-Hayes 1-2 center group.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Unless you want to trade them as assets at the deadline if you are out of contention
Right they have to be 1 or 2 year deals without NMCs. Would be smart to have assets to deal if the wheels fall off. Short term commitments won't hurt anywhere near the level of a wonder twin type deal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
if you're actually "rebuilding on the fly" you don't kick the tires on guys almost 40.

If you can get them on short term deals, thats exactly what you do when you don't have young replacements ready (which we don't.)

Either that, or try to find this years Sam Gagner.

I've never bought into the Kovalchuk stuff, but I'd be fine with either Thornton or Marleau for 1 year. Thornton for Hayes protection, signing Marelau for a year frees them up to trade another winger (Zucc.) Plus if it goes to hell, you have another asset you can move at the deadline.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If you can get them on short term deals, thats exactly what you do when you don't have young replacements ready (which we don't.)

Either that, or try to find this years Sam Gagner.

I've never bought into the Kovalchuk stuff, but I'd be fine with either Thornton or Marleau for 1 year. Thornton for Hayes protection, signing Marelau for a year frees them up to trade another winger (Zucc.) Plus if it goes to hell, you have another asset you can move at the deadline.

Pointless. Hayes is due for a contract after this season, take the reigns off and let him loose if we're "rebuilding on the fly" and see what he can do with more minutes and more ice time before we make a decision on his next contract.

Same with Zibanejad.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think even if we sign Smith, they need another good defenseman (doesn't have to be Shattenkirk, can be a trade), but just getting rid of Girardi isn't turning this defense into a world beater.. and we all know without a BIG time defenseman coming in who can play the right side, Staal and Holden are going to see more minutes than either Skjei, Deangelo or Smith (if re signed)

I agree with this but everytime I look at this here is where I run into issues:

Locks:
McDonagh
Skjei
Staal - unless traded

Hopefuls:
Smith - Re-signed
Bereglazov
DeAngelo

That would mean the pairings would be:

McDonagh-Bereglazov
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo

Or some combination above.

Without shedding Staal, I don't see where another guy plays? Bereglazov is going to play in the NHL next year. DeAngelo already has time under his belt in Arizona. He's most likely going to play.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

Locks:
McDonagh
Skjei
Staal - unless traded

Hopefuls:
Smith - Re-signed
Bereglazov
DeAngelo

McDonagh-Bereglazov
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo

Without shedding Staal, I don't see where another guy plays? Bereglazov is going to play in the NHL next year. DeAngelo already has time under his belt in Arizona. He's most likely going to play.

I don't think Berezgalor or Deangelo are locks to next year to be honest... Holden is still here and they want to re sign Smith apparently.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Pointless. Hayes is due for a contract after this season, take the reigns off and let him loose if we're "rebuilding on the fly" and see what he can do with more minutes and more ice time before we make a decision on his next contract.

Same with Zibanejad.

Even if you take the reigns off of Hayes, you still need someone to center the 3rd line.

They don't have anyone ready for that yet.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Locks:
McDonagh
Skjei
Staal - unless traded

Hopefuls:
Smith - Re-signed
Bereglazov
DeAngelo

McDonagh-Bereglazov
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo

Holden?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Either try to win.. OR... Let Zibanejad, Hayes, Skjeji, Buch, Vesey, DeAngelo loose and see what you got with them with bigger roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad