Speculation: Roster Building/Rumor Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
If we do something really dumb can we title the next thread "This is #1 Bullshit?"

Seriously though, we're burning through these threads like a dry joint. What the hell is going to happen when shit actually goes down?
Servers will crash and the thread burning will come to a halt

Reactions: bhamill

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
RE: Eichel. Adams is clearly using the medical records as a leverage thing. He's not sharing it with a team until he thinks the offer is big enough. It's his way of saying you're offer isn't in the ballpark of what we'd entertain yet, so come back with something more. It's an interesting ploy. I think he's using it as a way to get more from a team without needing competing offers.

The issue here is, the deadline of getting something done before the first round tomorrow night is really only a deadline for the Sabres. I don't know that there's a sense of urgency from any other team. Maybe the Wild have some sense of urgency, maybe. But no one else needs this sorted out this summer let alone by the draft. Teams would like Jack Eichel. But Im not sure anyone NEEDS him right now.

Right at this moment, I think it's a tough spot for Buffalo.

Reactions: Jackson Ranger

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Was Soucy playing on the right side this year for Minnesota? I know it's an archaic stat but being +38 in 105 games is impressive. 15min/game with size and doesn't kill us at even strength.

What more can we ask for at 3LD?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
RE: Eichel. Adams is clearly using the medical records as a leverage thing. He's not sharing it with a team until he thinks the offer is big enough. It's his way of saying you're offer isn't in the ballpark of what we'd entertain yet, so come back with something more. It's an interesting ploy. I think he's using it as a way to get more from a team without needing competing offers.

The issue here is, the deadline of getting something done before the first round tomorrow night is really only a deadline for the Sabres. I don't know that there's a sense of urgency from any other team. Maybe the Wild have some sense of urgency, maybe. But no one else needs this sorted out this summer let alone by the draft. Teams would like Jack Eichel. But Im not sure anyone NEEDS him right now.

I fail to see how it gains leverage. If anything, it decreases leverage because you eliminate suitors before they ever get a chance to enter the game. Adams is a f***ing idiot.

Reactions: bhamill and mas0764

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
If we do something really dumb can we title the next thread "This is #1 Bullshit?"

Seriously though, we're burning through these threads like a dry joint. What the hell is going to happen when shit actually goes down?

Someone start the Hf Rangers discord lol

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
If it's Nils/Kravtsov, Chytil, Buch, Georgiev and a first, then that's a clear no thanks from us.

I think the offer that we made last year that Buffalo ultimately backed out of last minute, was something very similar to this. IIRC, Kravtsov was the top prospect that we built our package around.

I can't imagine we go beyond that at this point in time, considering Eichel's value has dropped since then and Buffalo is more desperate to trade Eichel than any other team is to restructure their team around his inclusion.

Our offer should be equal to, or less than what we originally offered. Buffalo fans are just dreaming up nonsense if they think we'll surpass our original offer by a country mile when Eichel's value is even less. Yea... good luck with that Buffalo... We'll just offer you Laf and Kakko and a kitchen sink on top of everything else just for fun?

Reactions: mas0764

mti79

May 11, 2007
1. Does Hall's contract in Boston help us keep Buch at a lower cost?

2. This Thomas I keep seeing mentioned: is that the guy from St Louis?

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Yeah, buy Ziba is like that too, Eichel gets 3/4 of a zone to build up speed before he faces the first opposition. How often do you get that?

Just my analysis, but my impression is that the room these guys get when you start to get deep in the POs shrinks significantly. While guys like Gourde and co can just take off even if they just get a phone booth. Nobody can at least say that I am biased, because I was a 6’4 center myself. ;)

The big X-factor is — like you indicate — if you can counter this by playing a different style. Under Gorton we focused a ton on getting Ds that could get to the puck really fast while having a big group of forwards. I am sure it’s possible, to counter Tampa, but I am sceptical that our group of forwards are a good fit for that. I think that it’s more likely that a team like Vegas really could become a strict N-S team that would be hard to play against. JMHO.

But when you're referencing Barzal, Hughes, and Aho, even Gourde and Point... they do this very thing all the time. They constantly loop back at their blueline and gallop up the ice with speed. I think you're overrating the quickness of these guys a bit, and definitely underrating Eichel's skating ability and quickness specifically.

I do think you're right that it's about countering and having your own style.

But skating is just one component of it all. Like, there were games this season, against Boston, New Jersey, NYI even, where we flat out dominated. Pittsburgh is filled with forwards who absolutely fly, but even in games we lost to them, we outplayed them substantially a number of times last season. The Blackhawks were a team with a lot of size at forward. The Kings were heavy and big up and down the lineup. The Rangers have a quickness issue, no doubt. But the players without foot speed are also the players who are our best in transition. Fox, Panarin, Kakko. A center like Datsyuk wasn't a better skater in terms of agility and quickness than Zibanejad. He was powerful and elusive. He and Zetterberg were E-W players. They also were flanked by Holmstrom, Franzen, Samulssen, Hossa. Big, strong, not particularly fast wingers.

I think we have to wait and see what effect a coach like Gallant can have on some of these forwards in particular before we make final judgements. I think we both agree that Quinn was pretty inept. Zibanejad, for example, isn't quick, but he's extremely strong and has fantastic hand-eye. He can be very useful in the d-zone, boxing out players, covering shooting and passing lanes. What he hasn't done under Quinn is even attempt to play a bit more start-stop. Stopping on pucks, making shorter outlet plays, chipping and chasing. Can Gallant get Zibanejad to play his position? He won't get him to play like Point. Can he get him to play like Kopitar?

Same goes for the kids, especially Kakko. Funny enough, I think Kakko is maybe our best forward with regards to agility, quickness, and winning the small ice. What he doesn't have is that 5th gear, highway speed once he gets going. He's pretty much running at 4000rpm in 3rd down the ice. It's a very unique package, to skate and stick handle like Patrick Kane and have the frame and power of Marian Hossa.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Obviously the medicals will have to be shared before any deal is finished but I don't really think not sharing them is holding anything up. Everyone knows what the situation is. When they reach a deal with someone they will review the medicals and if they find them acceptable the deal is complete and if not that is it not complete.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
On Drury. I really think it's in his best interest for the Rangers to be rumored on everything. As the guy whose coming in to speed up the rebuild, he needs to show Dolan he's trying really hard. And he can use all of this chatter as proof that he's turning over every stone. Its his CYA in case there really aren't that many moves to make that help the team.

There seems to be a lot of players "available" but it seems like the trade market given the flat cap has depressed player values somewhat and it's likely leading to a ton of discussions and not that many moves.

Also, while a lot of teams are reportedly willing to move their 1st round picks this year, it seems like they are valuing these picks far more in trade conversations than they value the picks if they used them.

Re: first round picks, GMs are likely acting the same way I do when I try to trade in an old car. Why exactly would the car be worth more to the dealership? I don't know but I've convinced myself it must be.

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC

Adams cannot share Eichels medical information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad