Speculation: Roster Building/Rumor Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The insiders reported Sabres and Eichel's camp would have clarity on his surgery (or lack of) by the end of the month. I'm starting to think the Sabres have zero interest in showing the medical report to anyone until after Eichel has gotten whichever surgery or treatment. Adams sets the price sky high and if someone bites without the medical report in the next week then Adams runs with that offer knowing Eichel will need major surgery. If no one bites in the next week they are obligated to give Eichel an answer on his treatment options as he's still their player and the PA will get involved if the Sabres refuse to provide timely resolution to Eichel's injury options because they're trying to offload his entire existence onto another team.

The game now is mystery bag Eichel. After the decision on his treatment or surgery in a week, every team that's interested will suddenly get his medical files.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I would not be disappointed if by Sunday the only thing that happens is the Rangers pick someone at 15.

At this point I feel like there is a better probability of the guy we draft at 15 having a more impactful career than Eichel.

At least in the past when we acquired broken superstars like Lindros and Bure it didn't cost as much as what Buffalo wants for Eichel.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I believe he potentially is, yes.

I think Detroit's hopes of landing a top 2 pick in the draft are kind of in a holding pattern right now though.

If they can't land what they want now, Larkin potentially becomes a prime candidate to move at the TDL if the believe is still that they'd like to turn him into multiple assets. Yzerman has made it clear what he'd consider, and if it's not out there I think he's perfectly willing to wait.

Got it, thanks.

Maybe this ties into why it was reported NYR have been sniffing for a top 10? If they get it, that pick goes to Detroit in a Larkin deal, and Y uses that pick and his 6th as a way to get up to 2 from Seattle?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Feels like the Sabres are trying this:

982764.jpg

on sale for $10 million plus assets

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
At this point I feel like there is a better probability of the guy we draft at 15 having a more impactful career than Eichel.

At least in the past when we acquired broken superstars like Lindros and Bure it didn't cost as much as what Buffalo wants for Eichel.
Not in this draft

Reactions: AirGut

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yes they are and it's dumb. Buyer beware. I work for a real estate investment firm and we never buy a property without an inspection. If the sellers refuse we walk away, just like the Rangers should.
Shit in Jersey, my bro has been selling some site unseen with maybe just 5-6 pictures on the internet. On top of that he’s getting 30-50 k above listing. I’ve never seen anything like it.
The exodus from NY is real, and don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Let the surgery and recovery be Buffalo’s problem and let Eichel’s NMC kick in. He’s not going to play in 21-22 anyway, so why pay a higher price with more risk now when you have to wait a year regardless?

Reactions: McSauer

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Even with all the cloak and dagger stuff, I feel like Eichel will eventually return to being an elite player. Will he be 100% what he was? Impossible to say, but I don't expect that it will impact him long term in any obvious way. The questions are, when will he be healthy again and is he worth the cost? I have seriously doubts about the latter, and the former only adds to my concerns.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Shit in Jersey, my bro has been selling some site unseen with maybe just 5-6 pictures on the internet. On top of that he’s getting 30-50 k above listing. I’ve never seen anything like it.
You have no clue how crazy it is in Florida and even Atlanta

Reactions: Off Sides

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's hard to draw a line through cup winners, or even contenders, like this. San Jose was dominant for years with Jumbo Joe as their top center, followed by Couture, who's 6'1" and slow as shit. Ryan Johansen continues to be a bad example as he's consistently excelled in the playoffs and his absence in the '16 finals was maybe the decisive factor in Nashville losing to Pittsburgh. Toews is a big center who for years (especially over the last 15) was right there with Crosby as the most valuable player in the league. LAK won two cups with their giant Anze Kopitar taking over, not to mention Jeff Carter at 2C. Pittsburgh leaned on Crosby: their first cup 6'4" Malkin won MVP with 6'3" Jordan Staal as 3C. Washington wins in 2018 (ancient history, I know!) with Backstrom (6'0"205lb), Kuznetsov (6'1" 205lbs), and Eller (6'1" 207lb).

Even this year, Brock Nelson was and has been way more impactful and effective in the playoffs than Barzal, for example. Barkov was the better player head to head in his series against Point.

To my eyes, what makes for sustained success as a team comes down to being the best at what you can be the best at. The Lightning have 6'6" Hedman and surround him with a bunch of other giants on the blueline. Sure, they have small, quick centermen, but that's more or less the template--the important point is that they have their vision, and they stick with it. Their lineup is basically the same line over and over. Kucherov-Point-Palat, Stamkos-Cirelli-Killorn, Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow. That's like the same exact line 3 times, obviously with differences in skill and scoring prowess, but still. And it's the same on the backend.

If the Rangers really were to have Eichel and Zibanejad somehow on the same roster, it would absolutely be an advantage. But the Rangers certainly wouldn't play the same way that a team that has Point-Cirelli or Aho-Trochek for example.

Smaller centers have an advantage in quickness, but big centers have advantages of their own. For one, I think they are much harder to close on in transition up the ice. Like Barzal has made a living dancing through the neutral zone and crossing the blueline with the puck, but he's also really inept at taking the puck towards the net. He's really meh on the powerplay. Like comparing Barzal with Tavares, Barzal looks a lot more effective, and that rookie season when he outscored Tavares, many could guess he was their better center. But Tavares, big and slow as he is, is way smarter, stronger, and can create dangerous plays with way more frequency, particularly on the rush.

Take this play by Eichel. How can anybody watch this and tell me this guy can't skate with a Barzal or Aho? Maybe in the small ice, but then, where those guys can get inside position on a big center more easily, a center like Eichel has the reach and smarts to basically box out that player with the puck and always be in position to win it back, even from the outside. On this play, Eichel is showing what I mean as far as size giving centers a huge advantage driving the net compared to smaller centers. He's so much more difficult to take the puck from or contain to the outside. Philip Danualt, a player in exactly the model you're talking about, is in the frame there, totally neutered by Eichel's speed, the range of his puck control, and the velocity of his shot.

Yeah, buy Ziba is like that too, Eichel gets 3/4 of a zone to build up speed before he faces the first opposition. How often do you get that?

Just my analysis, but my impression is that the room these guys get when you start to get deep in the POs shrinks significantly. While guys like Gourde and co can just take off even if they just get a phone booth. Nobody can at least say that I am biased, because I was a 6’4 center myself. ;)

The big X-factor is — like you indicate — if you can counter this by playing a different style. Under Gorton we focused a ton on getting Ds that could get to the puck really fast while having a big group of forwards. I am sure it’s possible, to counter Tampa, but I am sceptical that our group of forwards are a good fit for that. I think that it’s more likely that a team like Vegas really could become a strict N-S team that would be hard to play against. JMHO.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

The Jersey market is insane, people are buying houses without any inspection, and even when the appraisals come in way under the price being paid they still just cover that in cash.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Any GM trading for JE without getting those medicals PLUS a chance for their own Dr's to examine JE in person should be fired for gross negligence.
Doesn't he have to pass a physical?

Adams is fishing for some form of incompetence that doesn't exist

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The Jersey market is insane, people are buying houses without any inspection, and even when the appraisals come in way under the price being paid they still just cover that in cash.

Its like this all over, but man when the market is no longer like this if they want to sell these houses down the road... they're gonna end up in the hole.

Reactions: Cmox and Off Sides

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Doesn't he have to pass a physical?

Adams is fishing for some form of incompetence that doesn't exist

right medical information HAS to be exchanged if a deal is agreed to, and players also have to pass physicals. They're not going to bamboozle anyone with a competent brain

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Let the surgery and recovery be Buffalo’s problem and let Eichel’s NMC kick in. He’s not going to play in 21-22 anyway, so why pay a higher price with more risk now when you have to wait a year regardless?
I’m pretty sure this is where we are at. I think Drury has a take it or leave offer on the table, If Adams doesn’t bite it will be revisited after the surgery and closer to his NMC kicking in.
2 reasons why adams might trade early, he doesn’t want to be on the hook for the insurance money and he doesn’t want to pay Eichel’s 7.5 mill bonus coming up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad