Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yes I do.

I had him in my top 5 a year ago. Obviously he's nowhere near that now. He's still very gifted offensively but defensively is a bit of a mess. He's a high risk/high reward type of prospect. I could see him going in the 20's to a team that can take a risk on him (the Rangers with 3 first round picks...now there's a team that's rebuilding...come to mind).
I would say any team with more than 3 picks in the top 40 or 4 in the top 60 should easily take a chance on him in the late first early second.
We aren't one of those teams.

Character issues are sometimes overblown... but sometimes they are dead on. We don't have enough bullets to risk one.

Now if we acquire some more in an Edler trade on the other hand.........

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Whats everyones thoughts about possibly moving the 7th OA pick for a Dman like Hanifin ?

21 yr old 6'3Dmen thats projected to be a top pairing stud dont always become available.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Mason + Petan for Nilsson is a trade I've been pondering too. I think it's going to happen.
It just makes too much sense in terms of Helleybuck (sp?) emerging this year and the potential cap restraints they are looking at. This would be a way smarter way of moving cap space for the Jets rather than moving a Myers or Perrault, both of which would be key contributors for their next years team. Not only that, but Petan has the connection with Green in Portland and him being from Delta. Guy had 52 points in 52 games in the AHL though, so we'd probably have to send something back as well to even it out a bit. Hell Petan may even be their Stastny replacement with that type of production.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Whats everyones thoughts about possibly moving the 7th OA pick for a Dman like Hanifin ?

21 yr old 6'3Dmen thats projected to be a top pairing stud dont always become available.

I’d possibly consider this if Hughes gets selected. Hanifin probably won’t be a star defenseman, but if he can turn into a Christian Erhoff 2011 calibre defenseman at minimum, then it’s probably worth considering.

Then, you trade Tanev+pick for Liljegren, and all of a sudden, you have the following D.

Edler-Pouliot
Hanifin-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Liljegren

Tryamkin returns to Vancouver just as Edler becomes a UFA and mutually parts ways with Vancouver.

Last edited:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I really like Petan too and would have no problem handing him the #2C spot next season. Maybe throw a 1 year deal to a guy like Brandon Pirri to push for that spot so there's some competition at camp. MS, I seem to remember you liking Petan in his draft year...

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
No chance. I’d take my chances on higher potential players.

Higher potential players??

Noah Hanifin has #1 Dman potential. In his pre draft year his ceiling and potential was pegged to be higher than anyone in this years draft class aside from Dahlin.

Hanifin is 21 yrs old

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Higher potential players??

Noah Hanifin has #1 Dman potential. In his pre draft year his ceiling and potential was pegged to be higher than anyone in this years draft class aside from Dahlin.

Hanifin is 21 yrs old
No he doesn't lol, Hanifin has not been an effective defenceman so far in his time with Carolina. He gets soft minutes and gets beaten up defensively.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I’d possibly consider this if Hughes gets selected. Hanifin probably won’t be a star defenseman, but if he can turn into a Christian Erhoff 2011 calibre defenseman at minimum, then it’s probably worth considering.

Then, you trade Tanev+pick for Liljegren, and all of a sudden, you have the following D.

Edler-Pouliot
Hanifin-Gudbranson
Juolevi-Liljegren

Tryamkin returns to Vancouver just as Edler becomes a UFA and mutually parts ways with Vancouver.
My god that defence (and that pairing in particular) would get absolutely destroyed.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Mason + Petan for Nilsson is a trade I've been pondering too. I think it's going to happen.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it effectively blocks Demko from starting in the NHL until Mason is possibly dealt mid-season/trade deadline.

But otherwise, it makes a lot of sense and would be happy to take a swing on a guy like Petan, especially if it means we end up ditching Granlund for a pick.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
My mock as of right now:

Trade for Ennis to get a 3rd round pick
Trade for Orpik to get a 2nd round pick
Trade Gagner to Arizona for a 3rd round pick
Trade Nilson for Mason and Petan
Find a trade for MDZ for a 3rd round pick
Draft Bouchard or Dobson
Don't spend any money on UFA's unless it's a 1 year deal to be flipped at the TDL

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Petan/Gaudette-Petersson
Goldobin-Petan/Gaudette-Virtanen
Gaunce-Sutter-Granlund
13:Leipsic
Callups: Dahlen/Motte/Ennis

Edler-Gudbrandson
Orpik-Stecher
Hutton/Juolevi-Tanev
Biega

Markstrom
Mason

This lineup is still not good, but nor will we be next year anyways. It allows us to spend money in next years UFA class when possibly Karlsson, Doughty or OEL are available. Obviously it would be nice to add Carlsson or JT this year but neither are realistic; nor do I want to give anyone else this year term.

Going into next TDL as well we would have lots of ammo to get 2019 draft picks by retaining on: Orpik and potentially Ennis and Mason. As well as Edler will be in his final year as will Hutton. This would also allow Tanev to mentor Juolevi through the 1st half of the season before the Tanev to Toronto rumors really start up again.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Depending on what we could move Anisimov for directly after sure. Maybe Montreal would give up a couple of 2nds for him?
Yeah that's definitely an option. I'd prefer to keep him with Pettersson on his wing.

Tanev for Anisimov+Nsh 1st
Nilsson for Buffalo 3rd
Gagner for New Jersey 4th 2018
Hutton to Mtl for Toronto's 2nd
Sven Baertschi+ for Carlo
Gudbranson for Florida's 4th+Mascherin

Sign Mike Green 1-2 years 5 million per
Sign Patrick Maroon 2 years 3.75 million per
Draft Dobson
Have: 2 Firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths, a 5th, 6th and 7th for a total of 11 picks.

Maroon-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Anisimov-Pettersson
Mascherin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Gaunce

Edler-Carlo
Juolevi-Green
Del Zotto-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Thoughts? How bad lol.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Yeah that's definitely an option. I'd prefer to keep him with Pettersson on his wing.

1)Tanev for Anisimov+Nsh 1st
2)Nilsson for Buffalo 3rd
3)Gagner for New Jersey 4th 2018
4)Hutton to Mtl for Toronto's 2nd
5)Sven Baertschi+ for Carlo
6)Gudbranson for Florida's 4th+Mascherin

7)Sign Mike Green 1-2 years 5 million per
8)Sign Patrick Maroon 2 years 3.75 million per
Draft Dobson
Have: 2 Firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths, a 5th, 6th and 7th for a total of 11 picks.

Maroon-Horvat-Boeser
Goldobin-Anisimov-Pettersson
Mascherin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Gaunce

Edler-Carlo
Juolevi-Green
Del Zotto-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom
Demko

Thoughts? How bad lol.
All lineups on here are gonna look pretty bad so I'm more going to comment just on each transaction:
1)Like I said, I'd rather just move Anisimov for a couple of 2nds.
2)Doubt Buffalo would trade for a piece they let walk for free less than a year ago
3)Arizona fans on the main board already approved a 3rd for him, so you can get better value elsewhere
4)If someone offers a 2nd for Hutton I do it easily
5)That plus is going to have to be something ridiculously substantial
6)Selling low on Gudbrandson, especially if the rumors are true they turned down a 2nd and 4th at the TDL
7/8)I'd be fine taking on either players as long as the terms are what you have them at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad