Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why tf would you not trade Sutter if teams want him. Like what.

For the same reason a person would value him enough to acquire him, and then sign him to an inflated deal: There's a clear divide in what Benning considers an asset, and what you or I would consider an asset.

If it were up me, Sutter, Eriksson, Gagner, Del Zotto, Gudbranson, Edler, Tanev, Markstrom and more would be traded.

Someone also mentioned Virtanen for Hanafin: I wouldn't do that either, and I'm no big fan of Virtanen. Leave it to another team to acquire him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Everything but Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, 7th overall, Demko + any future first should be on the table for Hanifin.

That means Dahlen/Gaudette/Lind/Gadjovic/Virtanen/Juolevi/Tanev/Dipietro/Markstrom/Nilsson/2nd round picks + any veteran fodder could be used to make the deal.

I would do one of Juolevi/Dahlen/Gaudette/Tanev (depending on what they want) + one of lind/gadj/virtanen + Dipietro/Markstrom/Nilsson + veteran fodder they could use

for

Hanifin + Darling.

Though I think it's highly unlikely we end up with him without giving up one of Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson/7th/Demko with this FO.

So you think Tanev, Virtanen, and Markstrom for Hanifin and a cap dump is a good trade? That's brutal.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
So you think Tanev, Virtanen, and Markstrom for Hanifin and a cap dump is a good trade? That's brutal.
Did I say that????? I even said it's highly unlikely we end up with him without giving up one of those 5 pieces. Not sure why you implied I said that.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Benning not interested in moving Tanev..is what I heard.So basically we are going to have the same core of defence next season also.
Elder.. Tanev..Del Zotto...Stecher..Gudbranson..Hutton..Beiga..JuOlivi...absolute bottom 5 in the league...unreal...Tanev will be injured in the first 5 or 10 games..im betting...

Reactions: JuniorNelson

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Benning not interested in moving Tanev..is what I heard.So basically we are going to have the same core of defence next season also.
Elder.. Tanev..Del Zotto...Stecher..Gudbranson..Hutton..Beiga..JuOlivi...absolute bottom 5 in the league...unreal...Tanev will be injured in the first 5 or 10 games..im betting...

I think this is right. Benning forecasts performance, he dismisses past practice. So, to him, it doesn't matter how a guy played this season because he is going to be a lot better (and different) next season. This has never been a sound argument, except the Canucks will for sure, be different this time. It would be unfair to the players if they weren't given a chance in the new season.

Benning jumped into the free agency pool last Summer. I suspect he is done there. Chasing superstars has been fruitless and embarrassing, so why?

Canucks need to embark on a youth movement, at least on RW. They need another top six center. IMO, they need a veteran goalie to mentor Demko. I also think they need a tough, scrapper on the fourth line or else accept beat downs.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

member 290103

Does anyone know the context for this tweet? Anaheim called about Sutter?

But what is the context? Would they actually give up value for Sutter, or would they want the Canucks to eat something bad to get rid of his contract?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
But what is the context? Would they actually give up value for Sutter, or would they want the Canucks to eat something bad to get rid of his contract?
110% value that's not even a question.

1) Canucks are in NO position to give up value to lose contracts, we should be doing the opposite actually
2) Sutter has league wide value, regardless of what most people think

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Juolevi and Hutton
for
Hanifan and 2019 3rd Rd Pick

Arguably a lateral move but you get someone who is already a top 4 Dman. Adding a pick for Judd Brackett to work with next season for Hutton who most likely needs a change of scenery is good. I'd rather get a 2018 pick but Carolina doesn't have a 3rd Rd pick anymore.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Apparently Van was interested in Brock Nelson according to Elliote Friedman around the deadline and before, any thoughts on that today/for next year?

Maybe it all changed with Lou but it's believed beforehand that the Isles were going to shake up their third line (mostly internally with Beauviller switching to center) but who knows now. But Nelson is due for a raise and I think a change of scenery would benefit both sides.

Do you think there would still be interest?

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Apparently Van was interested in Brock Nelson according to Elliote Friedman around the deadline and before, any thoughts on that today/for next year?

Maybe it all changed with Lou but it's believed beforehand that the Isles were going to shake up their third line (mostly internally with Beauviller switching to center) but who knows now. But Nelson is due for a raise and I think a change of scenery would benefit both sides.

Do you think there would still be interest?
Maybe in a small trade like Hutton straight up. Honestly, it seems somewhat pointless to get Brock Nelson where we are in the rebuild.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Maybe in a small trade like Hutton straight up. Honestly, it seems somewhat pointless to get Brock Nelson where we are in the rebuild.

Getting a 26yo C/LW for Hutton would be a good switch. It's not like we're full to the brim with players that can play top 6 minutes and if we could give him a few extra years, his cap hit might be a lot more palatable than any ill-advised UFA signing for the same purpose. I'd be all over it, even if we were selling low on Hutton.

Now that I think about it.. NYI might be a good trade destination even on a larger scale. Their fans are penciling in UFA Cam Ward as their #1. Might they be interested in Markstrom if we want to ride Demko/Nilsson instead?

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Getting a 26yo C/LW for Hutton would be a good switch. It's not like we're full to the brim with players that can play top 6 minutes and if we could give him a few extra years, his cap hit might be a lot more palatable than any ill-advised UFA signing for the same purpose. I'd be all over it, even if we were selling low on Hutton.
This is where I stand too- it would be like getting a younger guy to play in the 2C rather than making a dumb Bozak signing. Assuming for arguments sake it's just a Hutton straight up trade:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Nelson-Pettersson
Goldobin/Leipsic-Gaudette-Gagner
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher
Juolevi-Tanev
MDZ-Gudbrandson

Reactions: turkulad

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
This is where I stand too- it would be like getting a younger guy to play in the 2C rather than making a dumb Bozak signing. Assuming for arguments sake it's just a Hutton straight up trade:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Eriksson-Nelson-Pettersson
Goldobin/Leipsic-Gaudette-Gagner
Granlund-Sutter-Virtanen

Edler-Stecher
Juolevi-Tanev
MDZ-Gudbrandson

Going even further.. could be pry some high quality future assets alongside Nelson if we'd up the ante and offer them Markström and Tanev, adding some retention? Might that offer Tavares something to think about it when deciding on where to sign?

They have two 1st round picks this year, interesting D prospects like Quenneville and Aho.. just saying.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
According to alot of Islanders fans, Nelson is a winger rather than a centre. So acquiring him would be strictly to add more scoring punch on LW rather than acquiring someone who could play 2C minutes.

He's also primarily a shoot-first player so unless the plan is to play him with Pettersson in some rotating combination of LW/C, I'd rather target picks/prospects out of NY especially if Tavares re-signs and there is a big push to be better quickly.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Going even further.. could be pry some high quality future assets alongside Nelson if we'd up the ante and offer them Markström and Tanev, adding some retention? Might that offer Tavares something to think about it when deciding on where to sign?

They have two 1st round picks this year, interesting D prospects like Quenneville and Aho.. just saying.
If we were to add to the deal I would be looking at one of their picks for Tanev. Hell that's what I would prefer in all honesty but it sounds like JB isn't moving Tanev.
According to alot of Islanders fans, Nelson is a winger rather than a centre. So acquiring him would be strictly to add more scoring punch on LW rather than acquiring someone who could play 2C minutes.

He's also primarily a shoot-first player so unless the plan is to play him with Pettersson in some rotating combination of LW/C, I'd rather target picks/prospects out of NY especially if Tavares re-signs and there is a big push to be better quickly.
I've heard that too, however if we were to get Nelson it would be for the 2C. Personally I want Louie to play on EP's line due to Swedish factor and to help shelter him defensively as he adjusts. That leaves trying to find the right centre to plug in between them. If we are set to play Nelson as a winger it could still be worked, but I don't see the point in acquiring Nelson just to play him in the bottom 6:

Eriksson-Gagner-Pettersson
Nelson-Gaudette-Virtanen

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Other Islander fans would be receptive to this, not me. Not that I think Hutton is bad but I'm not a fan either.

Now that I think about it.. NYI might be a good trade destination even on a larger scale. Their fans are penciling in UFA Cam Ward as their #1. Might they be interested in Markstrom if we want to ride Demko/Nilsson instead?
I don't know anyone that has said Cam Ward but don't want him nor Markstrom, just giving two cents there.

But I do think we could be good trading partners. I think there's a lot of flexibility on Van, whether it's with the Isles or not I can see the canucks being open to different types of trades.

I like Tanev for sure. Edler too. Still not a fan of Markstrom in the slightest but with Pulock and Toews above the rest of the D prospects going forward, Wotherspoon, Mitch Van Sompel, Aho and Quenneville have the job of separating themselves and management can do it for them. That's a lot of D prospects to come through at the same time so if you're looking to add a good D prospect the Island is a place to look.

I would play him on wing over center but who is the coach? You never know, Nelson has only known Cap and Weight and when he came in he was more defensively responsible. That's part of my change of scenery thought process. But if you have good center depth, put him on the wing for sure. Killer shot.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Other Islander fans would be receptive to this, not me. Not that I think Hutton is bad but I'm not a fan either.

I don't know anyone that has said Cam Ward but don't want him nor Markstrom, just giving two cents there.

But I do think we could be good trading partners. I think there's a lot of flexibility on Van, whether it's with the Isles or not I can see the canucks being open to different types of trades.

I like Tanev for sure. Edler too. Still not a fan of Markstrom in the slightest but with Pulock and Toews above the rest of the D prospects going forward, Wotherspoon, Mitch Van Sompel, Aho and Quenneville have the job of separating themselves and management can do it for them. That's a lot of D prospects to come through at the same time so if you're looking to add a good D prospect the Island is a place to look.

I would play him on wing over center but who is the coach? You never know, Nelson has only known Cap and Weight and when he came in he was more defensively responsible. That's part of my change of scenery thought process. But if you have good center depth, put him on the wing for sure. Killer shot.
A Hutton swap across would be definitely in favor for Vancouver. Point is, Nelson who is a good player, just doesn't really fit into our rebuild unless we are buying at a discount. I would have interest in Quenville for sure to your point that you have a good chunk of D prospects.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
37 seems early. Maybe if we can get a late 3rd for Granlund or somehow acquire a 4th back.

If he falls that far it's a no-brainer.

I'm still not too thrilled with the depth in this year's draft, so I would probably be okay at 37. Mascherin is short but he's built like a tank. He's a very good skater and has a lethal shot. If we can get him cheaper then absolutely go for it. He's someone I'm quite high on.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
If he falls that far it's a no-brainer.

I'm still not too thrilled with the depth in this year's draft, so I would probably be okay at 37. Mascherin is short but he's built like a tank. He's a very good skater and has a lethal shot. If we can get him cheaper then absolutely go for it. He's someone I'm quite high on.
I'm high on him too, but redrafting an over-ager that early has me apprehensive. Especially with how high our 2nd rounder is there could be definitely a 1st round talent that falls like Lind did last year. One guy I have my eye on is Jet Woo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad