Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
IF Tanev is dealt to Toronto my guess is now it will be for Connor Carrick and Fredrik Gauthier. We'll probably throw in a 3rd round pick too because Gauthier's a former 1st round pick, while Tanev wasn't even drafted.

Reactions: dim jim

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Two year ago Tanev was an elite defensive RHD who took a lot of hits and hadn't yet, in his still fairly young career, managed to get in a full season because of injuries. We all figured at the time he was worth a lot in trade, though many believed he was worth more to keep.

Now we have two seasons of him playing fewer games because of multiple injuries and being considerably less valuable when he was playing (largely because even when he was playing, he was injured.)

Someone can look at what adjustments need to be made for useage and such, but going just on raw numbers, two years ago he was coming off the following seasons:

2014-15 70 GP 20 pts ATOI 21:05 FFRel + 4.5%; 45th in voting for the Lady Byng
2015-16 69 GP 18 pts ATOI 21:45 FFRel + 6.9%; 21st in voting for the Lady Byng

Now he's coming off the following two seasons:
2016-17 53 GP 10 pts ATOI 20:21 FFRel -1.1%
2017-18 42 GP 11 pts ATOI 19:47 FFRel -1.8%

His style of play hasn't changed-he still blocks a lot of shots and absorbs a lot of hits. What has happened is that he's been extremely injury-prone, it has gotten worse, he's been ineffective because of it (except on the rare occasions when he's been healthy) and it's happened so consistently over the years that I fear the days of him bringing good value in trade are long gone.

Current Leafs management is made up of bright guys. They aren't going to be blind to the trends in Tanev's game.

It seems likely to me that to trade Tanev now would require selling low on him, but it would be really nice if there is a team out there that believes Tanev can stay healthy enough to be worth what he was two years ago. Imo the most likely management team to have that opinion works in Vancouver, so I see the chances of a Tanev trade this summer being near zero.

Obviously he's a player whose value could go way up if he goes an extended period of time being healthy enough to play as we've seen he can, so there may be hope for trading him in the future. Right now, getting good value for him would be amazing.

Personally, I wouldn't trade him... unless for a very significant return. I think he's been the recipient of bad luck, just by the nature of his injuries. Regardless, unless a trading partner agrees with this, and values him as if he isn't injury prone, he's a canuck if I'm in charge (until his contact is running out and there needs to be a decision).

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Reports out of Pitt is indicating that Phil Kessel will be traded this summer.

Pitt will obviously be looking for players and not prospects as theyre window to win is still open w. Malkin and Crosby on the team.

Phil Kessel is extremely durable and is a guranteed minimum 25 goals a year. He has butted head w. Mike Sullivan which might be the reason for hid availability.

Should we shoe interest?

Or is he too old at 30 yrs old to be part of this team for when we are competitive again.

He would be absoloutely deadly lethal with Pettersson IMO.

Any offer would have to begin w. Tanev and Markstrom.

I believe Pitt is looking for an insurance plan to Murray who looked shaky all year in net.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Pitt will obviously be looking for players and not prospects as theyre window to win is still open w. Malkin and Crosby on the team.

Phil Kessel is extremely durable and is a guranteed minimum 25 goals a year. He has butted head w. Mike Sullivan which might be the reason for hid availability.

Should we shoe interest?

Or is he too old at 30 yrs old to be part of this team for when we are competitive again.

I believe Pitt is looking for an insurance plan to Murray who looked shaky all year in net.

The Canucks shouldn't be looking to add anyone in their 30's.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I would rather move Markstrom for Darling++. Carolina actually gets a capable goaltender and we aren't tied into two long goaltending contracts to go along with Demko.

How are the Canucks tied into 2 long term goaltending contracts? Nilsson has this year and then he's a UFA. Marky has this season and next.
This was the plan. Demko goes the last 2 years of his ELC in the AHL. That would make this season his last in Utica. Meanwhile Nilsson and Markstrom hold down the fort in those 2 seasons.Outstanding or not would be inconsequential as the Cancuks wouldn't be all that anyways.

Or are you referring to Darling whose contract is 3 more seasons? Yes, Darling and demko would hold back Demko's path. Trading Marky, picking up Darling, and keeping Nilsson still puts a damper on the plan they have had to get Demko into the net.

When Demko's last ELC season ends Nilsson departs, maybe even at the TDL and Demko finishes out the season in Vancouver and then returns to Utica for the Playoffs (if they make it).

In 2019-20 Demko moves in and backs up Markstrom while DiPietro gets his start in the AHL. The timeline hasn't changed. The Canucks will still struggle and nothing is lost if Demko isn't the backup this October.

Markstrom and Demko may go at it head to head or Green may prefer to bring him along at a slower pace and use him like a backup with 25-30 starts. At that point Markstrom's contract would expire and the Canucks have to decide how they want to move forward with their goaltending.

Do they let Marky go and hunt down another backup and hand the #1 to a goalie who only has 25-30 games under his belt or do they extend Marky and now let them go head to head and may the best man win and the other is the backup?

I'm prone to think that Benning will see Nilsson's WHC work as a plus and go into this season with the same 2 keepers rather than use the WHC moment to try and move Nilsson now as so many posters have advocated. Demko will get some call-up time thru the season and become a Canuck next season or at the TDL this season if they can move Nilsson. I wouldn't fall off my chair if Markstrom turns out to be the guy moved at the TDL. Then you find the Canucks shopping for a keeper to run the head to head with Demko in '19-20.

I still see it as I laid it out earlier. Demko in Utica for the 3rd season and Marky and Nilsson go one more season while Memko gets some games. Nilsson gone at the TDL and then it's up to Markstrom and Demko to decide who the #1 in Vancouver will be starting in '19-20 with Markstrom on the final year of his contract and Demko starting out on a new cheaper extension. He will have proven nothing yet to deserve big bucks.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Phil Kessel for our 2019 1st, 2019 2nd and 2020 1st.

It would be even f***ing funnier for a 30 year old than it was for the 22 year old.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Couldn't decide if Gilman in TO increases or decreases the likelihood of a tanev trade. If it increases the chances of a trade it prob decreases the quality of return.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Subban apparently available again. Lots of smoke around subban right now and reports saying he will be moved.

I know we offered the 5OA 2 yrs ago to MTl and they were interested until Dubois was taken at 3.

Wonder if we would move 7oa for a Norris Dman.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Subban apparently available again. Lots of smoke around subban right now and reports saying he will be moved.

I know we offered the 5OA 2 yrs ago to MTl and they were interested until Dubois was taken at 3.

If the draft goes something like:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Hughes
Dobson
Wahlstrom

I’d trade the pick for Subban as Bouchard/Boqvist aren’t as valuable for me.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
If the draft goes something like:

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Hughes
Dobson
Wahlstrom

I’d trade the pick for Subban as Bouchard/Boqvist aren’t as valuable for me.

Wrong answer. Rebuilding. If we wanted Subban, my bet is we would also be eating the Turris contract and trading Tanev. Does Tanev + Tavares (just blue sky) make Nashville better than Subban + Turris?

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Couldn't decide if Gilman in TO increases or decreases the likelihood of a tanev trade. If it increases the chances of a trade it prob decreases the quality of return.

Increases without a doubt. There is no bad blood with Benning. Linden or Weisbrod maybe, but not Benning.

Gilman loves Tanev. Pretty sure Dubas is a fan too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
How are the Canucks tied into 2 long term goaltending contracts? Nilsson has this year and then he's a UFA. Marky has this season and next.
This was the plan. Demko goes the last 2 years of his ELC in the AHL. That would make this season his last in Utica. Meanwhile Nilsson and Markstrom hold down the fort in those 2 seasons.Outstanding or not would be inconsequential as the Cancuks wouldn't be all that anyways.

Or are you referring to Darling whose contract is 3 more seasons? Yes, Darling and demko would hold back Demko's path. Trading Marky, picking up Darling, and keeping Nilsson still puts a damper on the plan they have had to get Demko into the net.

When Demko's last ELC season ends Nilsson departs, maybe even at the TDL and Demko finishes out the season in Vancouver and then returns to Utica for the Playoffs (if they make it).

In 2019-20 Demko moves in and backs up Markstrom while DiPietro gets his start in the AHL. The timeline hasn't changed. The Canucks will still struggle and nothing is lost if Demko isn't the backup this October.

Markstrom and Demko may go at it head to head or Green may prefer to bring him along at a slower pace and use him like a backup with 25-30 starts. At that point Markstrom's contract would expire and the Canucks have to decide how they want to move forward with their goaltending.

Do they let Marky go and hunt down another backup and hand the #1 to a goalie who only has 25-30 games under his belt or do they extend Marky and now let them go head to head and may the best man win and the other is the backup?

I'm prone to think that Benning will see Nilsson's WHC work as a plus and go into this season with the same 2 keepers rather than use the WHC moment to try and move Nilsson now as so many posters have advocated. Demko will get some call-up time thru the season and become a Canuck next season or at the TDL this season if they can move Nilsson. I wouldn't fall off my chair if Markstrom turns out to be the guy moved at the TDL. Then you find the Canucks shopping for a keeper to run the head to head with Demko in '19-20.

I still see it as I laid it out earlier. Demko in Utica for the 3rd season and Marky and Nilsson go one more season while Memko gets some games. Nilsson gone at the TDL and then it's up to Markstrom and Demko to decide who the #1 in Vancouver will be starting in '19-20 with Markstrom on the final year of his contract and Demko starting out on a new cheaper extension. He will have proven nothing yet to deserve big bucks.

I was simply responding to another post mentioning a Nilsson for Darling+ deal. I would rather move Markstrom in that trade - the return should be higher and his contract is 1 year longer so it wouldn't change the plan for Demko. If you have Darling and Markstrom, that's two big NHL contracts in 2019-20 along with Demko which complicates things.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'm sure any deal will be underwhelming, but any Tanev trade needs to include a 2019 1st. The team should have 10+ picks for that draft here with at least 2 1sts. That's the date to sell the fans on the future.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sure any deal will be underwhelming, but any Tanev trade needs to include a 2019 1st. The team should have 10+ picks for that draft here with at least 2 1sts. That's the date to sell the fans on the future.
yeah they need to have a ton of draft pick capital in 2019. No excuses not to have 10-12 draft picks including a bunch in the Top 90 when you're a rebuilding club hosting the draft.

I'd look at some mediocre club and try to get their 2019 1st much like Snow did with Calgary's 2018 1st in the Hamonic deal.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta

Should we shoe interest?

I hate kessel,,so easy no for me...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I wonder why this is?

Is it because of Subban’s cap hit?

Or - are there some lockerroom issues that we aren’t aware of? Montreal silently wanted to move on from him as well. Might be something there.

member 290103

I wonder why this is?

Is it because of Subban’s cap hit?

Or - are there some lockerroom issues that we aren’t aware of? Montreal silently wanted to move on from him as well. Might be something there.

There are CLEARLY issues with this guy. Why else would Montreal trade him? Spare me the "because Bergevin" type reply too. There were whispers for years that the entire team despised Subban. He's an incredible talent, but I honestly think the personality is just too much to handle.

If Nashville does pursue moving him, it's clear it would have nothing to do with his play.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
With Lou in NY and Tavares re signed perhaps Tanev to NYI for the 12th and a 2019 2nd?

Draft Tkachuk/Wahlstrom @7 and Smith/Wilde/Miller @12. Maybe even Bouchard or Boqvist falls to 12?

Cquant

May 14, 2015
With Lou in NY and Tavares re signed perhaps Tanev to NYI for the 12th and a 2019 2nd?

Draft Tkachuk/Wahlstrom @7 and Smith/Wilde/Miller @12. Maybe even Bouchard or Boqvist falls to 12?

If hypothetically we get the 12OA, then I think it makes a lot of sense to take a center (also because I'm convinced we are taking either a D or Wahlstrom with our 7th). One of Kotkaniemi, Veleno or Hayton will be there. If on the other hand Bouchard or Boqvist fall to 12 (which I highly doubt), then yeah we could look at taking the defenseman. Smith, Kupari and Lundestrom are three other guys that we could consider at 12. I wouldn't want Wilde that high and as much as I like K'andre Miller, there are a bunch of guys I have ranked much higher that would bring a lot more value for the position.

Either way, if there is any chance we can get another mid first rounder (for Tanev, or even for another addition to Tanev), then that would be sick.
What are the Islanders looking for? We could send Tanev + Hutton (they need an LHD, right?) + Baertschi/Granlund/Leipsic (LW) + B/C prospect (McEneny, Brisebois, Labate, Cassels) or maybe even a bit of a better prospect in Goldobin/ Lockwood/ Palmu/ Sautner for the 12th. The add-on's are all spare parts though, and Tanev is the main piece.

I'm sure there is a trade out there that might work.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Wrong answer. Rebuilding. If we wanted Subban, my bet is we would also be eating the Turris contract and trading Tanev. Does Tanev + Tavares (just blue sky) make Nashville better than Subban + Turris?

If my said list is gone by #7, I’d move Tanev+7th for Subban+Turris easily in a heartbeat.

Trade Hutton+2nd 2019 for Domi
Trade Gagner for 5th(New Jersey)
Trade Nilsson for 3rd(Buffalo)

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Domi-Turris-Pettersson
Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen
Leipsic-Sutter-Eriksson
Gaunce

Edler-Subban
Juolevi-Carlson
Del Zotto-Gudbranson
Pouliot/Biega

Markstrom/Nilsson
Demko

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

No he isn't. Stop trying to be the Eklund of HFBoards. You based that on a speculative scenery by one of the idiots who write on The Fourth Period, who usually do this on a regualr basis.

Predators reject idea of P.K. Subban trade, and we're all dumber for discussing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad