Roster and Fantasy GM Thread: Pre-Draft Silly Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The more I let my mind wander about it... what if Jake still holds close to Hanifin value in the trade market? Or f*** the entire market; what if Don Waddell values him that highly?? :o

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
If multiple teams are hot after Sutter, create a bidding war and grab some young talent and picks. Give some UFA centre like Komarov a 2 year deal, take the extra youth, and call it a day. The team's standing in the league would barely change, and we'd have some nice assets going forward.

Teams like Anaheim have rapidly closing windows with Perry/Getzlaf hitting the age where you really start to see a downswing, and if Kesler is indeed out they now have a gaping hole in their lineup.

Doubt we'd be able to get a roster piece like Montour/Manson, but I would do a Sutter for Steel 1-for-1 deal (depends on how desperate Anaheim may be) or something centred around a 1st rounder + Jacob Larsson/Marcus Pettersson.

Doyle Hargraves

May 11, 2018
If multiple teams are hot after Sutter, create a bidding war and grab some young talent and picks. Give some UFA centre like Komarov a 2 year deal, take the extra youth, and call it a day. The team's standing in the league would barely change, and we'd have some nice assets going forward.

Teams like Anaheim have rapidly closing windows with Perry/Getzlaf hitting the age where you really start to see a downswing, and if Kesler is indeed out they now have a gaping hole in their lineup.

Doubt we'd be able to get a roster piece like Montour/Manson, but I would do a Sutter for Steel 1-for-1 deal (depends on how desperate Anaheim may be) or something centred around a 1st rounder + Jacob Larsson/Marcus Pettersson.
Has Komarov played much centre recently? Brodziak could play the middle on the third line but I have no idea what he would want to play here. I’m all over trading Sutter but you can’t not replace the guy either.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Has Komarov played much centre recently? Brodziak could play the middle on the third line but I have no idea what he would want to play here. I’m all over trading Sutter but you can’t not replace the guy either.

I would be totally fine with Brodziak on a 1/2 year deal at ~$1.5MM a season. Komarov is just a quick example—there should be handful of guys in their 30's in UFA who could step in for Sutter and literally we'd finish no higher or lower than if we had Sutter on the team.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
If Carolina values either Wahlstrom or Tkachuk, they could have interest in our pick depending on who's available on draft day. They said they want to get bigger, and what better way to do that than adding 2 pieces like Svechnikov and Wahlstrom/Tkachuk in one draft. Make a deal involving our 7th overall for Hanifin. Vancouver would get the young, big minute defenseman we need and Carolina could have this forward core:

Aho - Necas - Svechnikov
Teravainen - Staal - Wahlstrom
Skinner - Rask - Lindholm

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
For those of you wanting to trade the 7th for Hanifin, how much have you paid attention to him in the past two seasons? I personally would consider that a very bad trade for the Canucks. The 7th overall pick shouldn't be on the table for him.

Reactions: sting101

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Everything but Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, 7th overall, Demko + any future first should be on the table for Hanifin.

That means Dahlen/Gaudette/Lind/Gadjovic/Virtanen/Juolevi/Tanev/Dipietro/Markstrom/Nilsson/2nd round picks + any veteran fodder could be used to make the deal.

I would do one of Juolevi/Dahlen/Gaudette/Tanev (depending on what they want) + one of lind/gadj/virtanen + Dipietro/Markstrom/Nilsson + veteran fodder they could use

for

Hanifin + Darling.

Though I think it's highly unlikely we end up with him without giving up one of Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson/7th/Demko with this FO.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Everything but Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, 7th overall, Demko + any future first should be on the table for Hanifin.

That means Dahlen/Gaudette/Lind/Gadjovic/Virtanen/Juolevi/Tanev/Dipietro/Markstrom/Nilsson/2nd round picks + any veteran fodder could be used to make the deal.

I would do one of Juolevi/Dahlen/Gaudette/Tanev (depending on what they want) + one of lind/gadj/virtanen + Dipietro/Markstrom/Nilsson + veteran fodder they could use

for

Hanifin + Darling.

Though I think it's highly unlikely we end up with him without giving up one of Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson/7th/Demko with this FO.

Dahlen should never be available...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....Elliot Friedman really set the cat among the pigeons by hinting that the Canucks were "the stealth team" in the Hanifin sweepstakes....Hanifin was a beast with the USNDP, which the Canucks scouts like Brackett obviously value highly..But as a pro he hasn't shown a ton of offensive upside. I mean, we're not talking Zack Werenski or Seth Jones here.

Still, if the d-man the Canucks want isn't on the board at #7, and Hurricanes are slavering after Walstrom or Tkachuk, then something might be possible for that #7 pick. But Canucks would clearly have to 'add' to get a 21-year old 6'3" 206 pound d-man like Hanifin.

Could see the 7th pick, Hutton and maybe Baertshi for Hanifin and maybe an additional player from Carolina....Would love for the 'add' to be someone like Elias Lindholm, but that would be dreaming. Jeff Skinner is apparently on the block...or maybe a later pick in second or third round?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Dahlen should never be available...
I don't really rate him as high as most do here. I don't see him as a surefire 1st line winger.

I see him as a potential 2nd line winger, and I would trade that + some more for Hanifin, a 21 year old top 4 d-man who could turn into a top pairing d-man.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I don't really rate him as high as most do here. I don't see him as a surefire 1st line winger.

I see him as a potential 2nd line winger, and I would trade that + some more for Hanifin, a 21 year old top 4 d-man who could turn into a top pairing d-man.
Fair, but I would be way too afraid to trade Dahlen before seeing him with us in the NHL. Loads of potential.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I would be totally fine with Brodziak on a 1/2 year deal at ~$1.5MM a season. Komarov is just a quick example—there should be handful of guys in their 30's in UFA who could step in for Sutter and literally we'd finish no higher or lower than if we had Sutter on the team.
So all the bellyaching about Sutter screwing up our draft pick was wrong?

Reactions: krutovsdonut

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Trading the 7th pick for Hanifin would be insanely dumb.
Have to agree, but then you remember that Jimbo traded his other 2014 first-rounder McCann (24th overall) and a high second rounder (33rd overall) to acquire Gudbranson.

So he's certainly capable of doing it....and I suspect the results would be about the same.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
So all the bellyaching about Sutter screwing up our draft pick was wrong?

Thats just being disingenious.

If other teams overvalue this player for whatever reason, why on earth would you not take advantage of that? What does Sutter do for us next year if we aren't competing? With Bennings actual good job of Boeser, if someone was offering a 1st of equivalent, or even more if desperate, why not take that deal? What does having sutter accomplish in a "rebuild".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad