Speculation: ROR and Tarasenko are going to UFA - What do you do (poll)

Both are going to UFA. Do you trade them or allow them to walk?

• Trade Both

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Keep Both

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Trade Tarasenko but keep ROR

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Trade ROR but keep Tarasenko

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Assume for the sake of discussion that both ROR and Tarasenko inform Army this offseason that they do not wish to negotiate an extension and that they both intend to reach unrestricted free agency. Neither are closing the door on a return, they just intend to shop the market.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Too many variables for me to answer the question in poll form.

The window is too open next year for me to say "well we have to trade one/both for something!"

I'd be exploring hockey trades for both with an eye toward upgrading the current (and medium term) roster. I'm not trading either for pure futures unless/until I've got a deal to flip those futures into actual roster players. Without knowing the trade market, I can't say whether I'd value the return or 1 more year of either/both more.

I would be actively shopping both if I was informed that they were turning down my best offer and testing UFA. Whether I trade both/either would be fully dependent on the return. I believe that both would have enough value that I'd wind up trading both of them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My position is basically maximize the short-term Cup window. So, it's entirely dependent on a return and how we use that cap space. I'd lean towards moving Tarasenko before ROR, I also could see both walking as UFAs and I'd be fine with that. We have the internal replacements to handle either one leaving, then it's up to Army for how he builds out the rest of the top 9 and roster with the additional cap space, knowing that a chunk will go to Thomas and Kyrou at the end of their deals.

Reactions: Blueston

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
MT is also a UFA next year……. That may also play a role in what we do and future plans.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Actively shop both, regardless of their UFA intents. I'd want ROR for no more than 3-years and Tarasenko for no more than 5. Both would need to come back on discounts from their current rate. If those terms aren't agreeable to their agents (and why would it be?) then they can be the Blues' own playoff rentals or shipped like Stastny and Shatty. Let's check back next trade-deadline and see where the Blues Cup-aspirations lay, unless they've agreed to sweetheart extensions already.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Right now ROR will probably end up at 55 points or less. If he puts up around 55 points this year and next year I wonder what type of contract he would be looking at

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
MT is also a UFA next year……. That may also play a role in what we do and future plans.

Matthew Tkachuk? I thought he was going to be restricted this summer. He'd only be unrestricted next year if he signed a one year deal, right?

Reactions: tfriede2

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Matthew Tkachuk? I thought he was going to be restricted this summer. He'd only be unrestricted next year if he signed a one year deal, right?
You are correct.

But his contract negotiation is going to be interesting. He's on pace for 100 points and his current contract is structured to set him up for an awesome 1 year deal. In order to keep his RFA rights, the Flames have to give him a $9M qualifying offer. There is speculation that he will just take his QO and then hit UFA as a 25 year old. I think he is most likely going to just use the threat of that as leverage to get all the money on an 8 year deal from Calgary. But he is set up perfectly to get himself to UFA as a 25 year old 100+ point player.

Personally, I don't have a ton of interest in Tkachuk given what his next contract will cost. The Tkachuks are unapologetically out to maximize their earnings and I don't expect a hometown discount to play in St. Louis. He will have a chance to become the 2nd highest paid player in the league. That player is currently Panarin. Tkachuk is hitting UFA 2 years younger than Panarin, whose career high was 87 points when he hit UFA. Tkachuk already has 89 points this season and he has 2 seasons eclipsing Panarin's career high in goals. Tkachuk is more physical and has better possession metrics. Tkachuk's resume is better than Panarin's was at the time he went UFA, his family notoriously wants to leave zero dollars on the table and he's hitting UFA at 25.

A large hometown discount on Tkachuk will be 7 x $75M and a full NMC.

I genuinely don't know how we would find the space to sign Matthew, Thomas and Kyrou at the same time.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

No. My thought process is that we let either ROR and/or Tarasenko go next year…. Let them walk and then look at him.

I dont feel he is going to sign long term with Calgary….. So. That is another variable.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
I think a lot depends on how we perform in the playoffs. Do we get smoked in the first round by Minny or do we make the cup finals/conference finals and look good?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
ROR easily stays if the money satisfies him. Tarasenko, I have no clue what he’s thinking. I hate giving 30+ yr olds long term deals, so hopefully no more than 3-4 yr deals for each.

cmcalum

Jul 12, 2018
Do you really think ROR will take a 3-4 year deal. No way. He will want 7 years at 7 million at a minimum. It will be his last contract. As important as he is to this team, no way do I give a 55 point per year player that kind of contract. He isn’t going to get any better than he is right now. I would trade him in the off season. Watching how Tarasenko and Thomas have played together this year, I’d rather sign Tarasenko.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
The most likely scenario to me is that we end up keeping both of them and try to win again next year. Losing them in FA isn't losing them for nothing if you're in the playoffs during their final year and we're already paying them enough where moving their salary off the rosters also gives us options to replace them, whether that's going after Tkachuk, re-signing other guys, or going after someone else.

It's also unlikely the Blues would be able to move those players this offseason and acquire pieces who'd make a similar impact on the team's Cup chance for 2023.

Tarasenko getting moved seems more likely considering as far as we know his trade request is still on the table and he's certainly recouped enough value to give Armstrong a chance at finding a return if he needs to move him.

I have to feel it'd be very unlikely O'Reilly moves unless we're so far out of competing next season we are selling at the deadline. Do teams ever seek to move the player they recently made captain when they aren't selling at the deadline?

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
I do think if Tarasenko doesn't want to be traded anymore more (we don't know if he does or doesn't) that he would be the most likely of the two to take a more team friendly contract. ROR on the other hand seems like he would want to maximize his earnings in his last contract. I would like to keep them both for the next 2 years to really go for the cup

Reactions: cmcalum

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Do you really think ROR will take a 3-4 year deal. No way. He will want 7 years at 7 million at a minimum. It will be his last contract. As important as he is to this team, no way do I give a 55 point per year player that kind of contract. He isn’t going to get any better than he is right now. I would trade him in the off season. Watching how Tarasenko and Thomas have played together this year, I’d rather sign Tarasenko.
You don’t know that. None of us know what ROR will prioritize. He didn’t like Avs squeezing him when he was young so he played hardball. He is older now and has made lots of money and seems to like it here. Club obviously values him. He hated losing in Buffalo. If he thinks he can keep winning here where he is beloved, he couid very well take team friendly contract. I think that is reasonably likely scenario, but I don’t know. None of us know. But I’d bet that DA will have good sense by this summer which way ROR is leaning.

Last edited:

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
We definitely keep them for next season while the Blues still have a good team that's capable of going on a Cup run, even if neither of them intend on signing extensions.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Doubt I'd want us to re-sign either at free market prices. Depends on what the return is but I wouldn't be opposed to moving either.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Keep both and look at other contracts that could be or need to be moved.
I don't think we move any of the Defense contracts. Maybe Binnington is moved by then. Move Schenn, Saad, and Barbashev? I just don't see a world where we keep ROR and Tarasenko both while paying for rises in Kyrou and Thomas plus a top 4 LHD. Schenn and Saad both have NTC so they will be hard to move. Don't know what Perron will make on his new contract. The only person that will be easy to move is Barbashev

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
My inclination would be to trade both.

On Tarasenko, it seems the bad blood (to extent that there really was any) has cooled, but I still don't expect him to necessarily be eager to stay after his deal is up. I expect Army has, and will continue to have, a read on whether he has any interest in staying longer-term at a price that fits with our cap structure. If not, I could see him in a deal that brings back a Top 4 LD, but that would necessarily have to include the ability of the other GM to negotiate the framework for an extension unless the player we're bringing back only has one year left as well. He's a PPG player again, and I would expect teams to be lining up for a chance to cut the line to nab him before he becomes a free agent if the price is right. Given the recent history, if there is any reluctance on his part to negotiate this offseason, Army should be asking for his list and taking the best deal he can find.

On ROR, I would expect he is going to be looking for a long-term deal (6-8 years) and I fear this would end up similar to the Backes situation. I don't feel like he will decline as quickly as Backes did, but as others have alluded to I feel like we've seen his best hockey already. If he's moving on at the end of next season, maybe we can move him somewhere that he is willing to extend and can get closer to market value back. Since he's signed one deal (offer sheet) with them already, I wonder if Calgary would be interested in him at his asking price to strengthen themselves up the middle in exchange for the RFA rights to Tkachuk if Tkachuk is unwilling to sign in Calgary long-term and instead is inclined to accept his QO and become a UFA in a year.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
My inclination would be to trade both.

On Tarasenko, it seems the bad blood (to extent that there really was any) has cooled, but I still don't expect him to necessarily be eager to stay after his deal is up. I expect Army has, and will continue to have, a read on whether he has any interest in staying longer-term at a price that fits with our cap structure. If not, I could see him in a deal that brings back a Top 4 LD, but that would necessarily have to include the ability of the other GM to negotiate the framework for an extension unless the player we're bringing back only has one year left as well. He's a PPG player again, and I would expect teams to be lining up for a chance to cut the line to nab him before he becomes a free agent if the price is right. Given the recent history, if there is any reluctance on his part to negotiate this offseason, Army should be asking for his list and taking the best deal he can find.

On ROR, I would expect he is going to be looking for a long-term deal (6-8 years) and I fear this would end up similar to the Backes situation. I don't feel like he will decline as quickly as Backes did, but as others have alluded to I feel like we've seen his best hockey already. If he's moving on at the end of next season, maybe we can move him somewhere that he is willing to extend and can get closer to market value back. Since he's signed one deal (offer sheet) with them already, I wonder if Calgary would be interested in him at his asking price to strengthen themselves up the middle in exchange for the RFA rights to Tkachuk if Tkachuk is unwilling to sign in Calgary long-term and instead is inclined to accept his QO and become a UFA in a year.
Trade a 31 y/o for an exceptional 24 y/o who is still progressing… I don’t see that happening. I see the Flames making him an offer he can’t refuse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad