Rookies other than Bouchard that were called up too quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
The Habs tend to have the opposite problem, if anything. I can't think of a single high-profile prospect in the last couple decades who has been rushed by the Habs at all, let alone been damaged by it. It doesn't seem likely to change in the foreseeable future either. :dunno:

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Blind Gardien said:
The Habs tend to have the opposite problem, if anything. I can't think of a single high-profile prospect in the last couple decades who has been rushed by the Habs at all, let alone been damaged by it. It doesn't seem likely to change in the foreseeable future either. :dunno:

I think they will rush Crosby a bit.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
With Florida, Ivan Novoseltsev was not really handled all that well, i dont know if it was because he was called up too early, its a tough call, but definitely Stephen Weiss his first year, he didn't belong in the NHL at all. Florida doesn't really rush prospects all that much unless they're top players who are too good for juniors such as Bouwmeester and Nathan Horton. Denis Shvidki I believe was called up too early even though he was a solid player in Florida for half a season.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
gobert said:
Dan Blackburn.

Other than an offseason workout mishap...how could a goaltender who was clearly better than the junior opponents he was facing and more than held his own in the NHL, rushed? Other than an ungodly month long stretch as the team starter, the Rangers handled his development very well.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Chaos said:
Why? He showed he could play during the preseason, and earned a spot. He wasnt just handed a spot.

Same with Bouchard, Miettenen at least had the option of going to the AHL.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Jiri Fischer.

On the topic of being rushed, I hope they do something in the new CBA about the pact with the CHL that doesn't allow for the prospects to be sent to the AHL. So many prospects face a dilemma of either spending extra year or two with very little challenge, that can stagnate their development, or jumping into the NHL and being overwhelmed and losing confidence. They should be allowed to go to the AHL.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
pavel datsyuk said:
Also, i think DiPietro was brought along too fast, should have stayed in college.

If I recall correctly, DiPietro gave up his college eligibility in order to be drafted in the 2000 draft. He did so upon advice that he might be the 3rd goalie taken in 2001 after Blackburn/Leclaire.

If somebody could explain why DiPietro had to give up his eligibility whereas guys like Paul Martin can be drafted out of high school and play in the NCAA, I'd appreciate the answer since I never quite understood the rule.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
pavel datsyuk said:
damn, nobody mentioned the Islanders.

They brought up Connelly way too fast, same with Pyatt. Also, i think DiPietro was brought along too fast, should have stayed in college.

Yeah the isles have rushed several 18-20 yrs up to the nhl,hurting their development.

In Connolly+Pyatt's case it was because of tightfisted ex-owners.Those draft picks were cheaper to toss onto top lines,then vets would have been.

DiPietro struggled so badly,they had no choice but to demote him.

ProctorSilex

Alexandre Daigle and Brett Lindros should have had a year in the minors to learn the pro game without all that pressure. Immense talent killed.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Levitate said:
they could have sent him back to juniors for another year

Yes, there was an option. The Pens could have kept Johan Hedberg and let MA Fleury develop properly. They went on the cheap. Hedberg wasn't breaking the bank in any way, shape or form.

Not after the training camp he had. He was the best goalie in camp, and the best goalie for much of the time he played for the Pens. People have forgotten how awesome he was.

If you were in charge of things on the Penguins, you'd have played him as well.

And as far as "going on the cheap" is concerned, all we were lambasted with from HF Boards posters was how the Penguins couldn't afford to keep Fleury in the NHL, so they sent him back to juniors. Now someone is saying they went with the cheaper option to play him in the first place, despite the fact it would have cost less to play Hedberg and not sign Fleury.

**** it, I don't know why I bother.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad