Rookies other than Bouchard that were called up too quickly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Doesn't matter, training camps are just that, training!
How do you think teams are selected at the beginning of the season? He outplayed AUbin and Caron for the job. And did you not see him play when he was on the Penguins?

I state again, people have forgotten how awesome he was.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I would certainly agree they should have sent him back down sooner, maybe around the 12 game mark, but definitely not during training camp.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
ryz said:
How about Chuck Kobasew of the Flames. He just didn't seem to be able to handle it at times in the portions of the last 2 seasons where he played games and then he plays 1 full season in the AHL and he looks to be a lock as a second line winger in the NHL soon.

I agree. Rushed way to early.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
FlyersFan10 said:
Yes, there was an option. The Pens could have kept Johan Hedberg and let MA Fleury develop properly. They went on the cheap. Hedberg wasn't breaking the bank in any way, shape or form.

What the hell are you talking about? Hedberg earned less than Fleury did after bonuses - keeping Hedberg would have been going the cheap route.

Players ruined by being brought up too early? Roman Lyashenko and Denis Shvidki come to mind.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
clefty said:
How do you think teams are selected at the beginning of the season? He outplayed AUbin and Caron for the job. And did you not see him play when he was on the Penguins?

I state again, people have forgotten how awesome he was.

And they forget how awesome Bouchard was during training camp. Still the point is, he isn't doing well right now.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Still the point is, he isn't doing well right now.
Thats not what you said. You said Fleury shouldn't have played in the NHL that season at all. The fact is, he was the best goalie during the camp battle, and therefore was the best option. And for most of the time he played on the parent Penguins, he was the better goaltender.

I didn't say anything about Bouchard, either. It would seem evident he was also good enough to make the team based on early performances, so he did. There's not a whole lot to it, and you can't judge whether having them play in the NHL so soon was either beneficial or a detriment so soon after the fact.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
ajsonor said:
I was going to mention that the Islanders rushed Pyatt and Connolly and that the Sabres have paid for their mistake.

Pyatt was a victim of the CHL/NHL agreement. It would have been a total waste of time for him in the OHL. In fact, in the last 5 years, I don't think there has been a skill forward in the OHL who has has been as physical a "man against boys" as Pyatt was in the playoffs of his final OHL season.

He belonged in the AHL at 19. Having said that, I do not believe that his inability to flourish with the Sabres (yet) has anything to do with being in the NHL too early, or not having one final year in the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad