GDT: Rookie tournament

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Rough game for the Oilers rookies. It was a real slog. The feet weren’t there and they took way too many trips to the box

Overall though, this has been a great weekend for our youth. Considering how shallow our pool is, I thought we had some stellar showings

Akey and Bourgault both had excellent moments. Bourgault is such a gamer. Dude just brings it. As for Akey, I can’t stress enough how good he’s looked for his age. There are 24/25 year old pros, guys who have played NHL games, at this tournament. Yet he still managed to look like one of the best D

Max Wanner has holes in his game, but the tools are so tantalizing. Especially for a 7th round pick. I liked what I saw yet again from him. Grubbe looked really good to my eye this weekend. He has all the tools to make it as a gritty two-way 4C. Petrov and Savoie had dangerous moments. Brady Stonehouse looked good. I’d consider giving him an ELC. Overall strong performances all around

I know these games are meaningless, but it’s fun to get a look at our prospects all in once place. I think our system is strong considering how good our NHL team is

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not a good effort but my favorite prospect had 1 and 1 Savoie will have a good season in the AHL if he can stay injury this season

Reactions: McTonyBrar

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Can’t really take much from these tournaments, a bunch of guys coming off summer who haven’t played together much in camp for a few days then playing a few. Most of your best guys have an eye towards main camp and trying not to get injured.

I didn’t get to watch any of the tournament beside highlights but what I like about our fwd prospects is that we’ve got a few shooters and some righties too in Lavoie and Petrov. These two and Savoie all have great shots, they know how to get into scoring areas and Lavoie and Petrov are big guys who use their bodies effectively to get into positions to use their shots. Then you’ve got some high motor guys in Tullio and Bourgault, the latter brings some very nice vision and puck skills.

These are some players that have some nice traits that should mesh well with Mcdavid and Draisaitls playmaking, hopefully they can make something out of a couple of these young guys.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The main team being good has impacted our prospect pool. It’s gotten to be really shallow the last few years and our top end prospects aren’t high end either so these rookie tournaments will be rough for a while

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
You don't score 20 goals in the NHL and a 14% SP if you can't shoot, his regression last year is from concussions. LOL, he was afraid to shoot because he knew goalies would save his shot :facepalm: He will score between 18-24 if healthy all season .
Yes. His goals were all scored with his howitzer.
My lord. Try watching.

Reactions: Duke74

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yes. His goals were all scored with his howitzer.
My lord. Try watching.
I guess his softies fooled the goalies lol I have watched every Oiler game since they all have been televised and have been watching hockey since 1968 13.9 % career SP sorry your post was hilarious "afraid to shoot because he knew the goalie would stop it" come on. His shot is not the hardest but a lot better than a lot of current players in the league and as far as try watching maybe you should TBH

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I guess his softies fooled the goalies lol I have watched every Oiler game since they all have been televised and have been watching hockey since 1968 13.9 % career SP sorry your post was hilarious "afraid to shoot because he knew the goalie would stop it" come on. His shot is not the hardest but a lot better than a lot of current players in the league and as far as try watching maybe you should TBH

From watching the video, only about 3-4 are goals from a good shot (in my opinion).

I think his greatest strength (offensively) is tipping pucks. He's pretty good at that. Feels like that was were most of his goals came from this year too.

I'll always admire his heart and how hard he tries. Its a shame that he had such a small frame. I think other opponents are jerks to him as well. He takes so much extra unneccary abuse away from the play. That being said, I do think its a bit disappointing that his offensive talents held him back on the team (shot/hands/ability to separate) for a player who lead the WHL in points.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
From watching the video, only about 3-4 are goals from a good shot (in my opinion).

I think his greatest strength (offensively) is tipping pucks. He's pretty good at that. Feels like that was were most of his goals came from this year too.

I'll always admire his heart and how hard he tries. Its a shame that he had such a small frame. I think other opponents are jerks to him as well. He takes so much extra unneccary abuse away from the play. That being said, I do think its a bit disappointing that his offensive talents held him back on the team (shot/hands/ability to separate) for a player who lead the WHL in points.
He is the type of player if he stays healthy will peak in his 8th 9th 10th seasons his shot is NHL-suitable as you can tell from those 4 goals my post was responding to the statement that he was afraid to shoot because he knew goalies would save it which was ludicrous

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He is the type of player if he stays healthy will peak in his 8th 9th 10th seasons his shot is NHL-suitable as you can tell from those 4 goals my post was responding to the statement that he was afraid to shoot because he knew goalies would save it which was ludicrous

I think you would need a video that shows all the times hes been setup in a great scoring opportunity (but never scored) to prove that hes afraid to shoot the puck (or not a confident shooter).

Reactions: Duke74

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

100% this. Its silly to think because he had a good shot in Junior it somehow translates.
I really liked Yamo. He has a a real good motor & is fearless. But to suggest he scored 20 in large part cause of his shot shows a real lack of insight.
And yes, if you dont have a good shot you are often going to look for other options. Kinda funny to think otherwise.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Savoie doesn't have the feet to play in the NHL
Shocking.
And here a few were pencilling him in cause of his scoring exploits in the AJ/College.
Some actually thought he should have been playing in the playoffs in '22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad