shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
Ron Hainsey is still valuable and here are my reasons,

1.. smooth skating
2..good size
3..1st rd pick
4..has shown in the past( nhl pre season and a little Ahl) that he has a good shot and can be offensive
5..the new NHL economics, teams will look to unload veteran players for young, inexpensive players svitov for sydor)
6..every GM and scout wonders if a change of scenery changes the player
7.. i think Hainsey thinks he is a NHL player, he does not to put an effort in the A because he is a cocky type who feels he does not belong in Hamilton( Hollywood Hainsey)
8.. he is an american, he probably would be a good fit in the US ( i liken him to brian berard, ottawa vs Long island

I do agree, Hainsey could and should be moved when the NHL resumes but i beleive he still has value.
Cheers :)

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
1st rd picks general are 1st rdrs for a reason...

central scouting, etc deemed him to be a top prospect, the habs scouting staff recommended he be taken and most teams would beleive that he certainly would be a first rd pick as well.

therefore, i think he still has value because he was a first rd pick and most people beleive he has the talent to be chosen that high.

Not like he was a 4th rd player taken in the first rd if you get where i am going.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Jason Herter was a first round pick in a weak year, too. What's your point?

You failed to mention one thing: drive. If he was driven, he'd be trying his best in the AHL, instead of floating through every game. 8 points in 39 games are respectable numbers for No. 4, defensive defencemen, not offensive guys. Jason Spezza and Dan Hamhuis know they're too good for the AHL, too, and that hasn't stopped them from being among the elite.

And if Hainsey's too good for the AHL, why has he struggled in Montreal when called up? Hmmm.

PS:Berard never played a game for Ottawa. The brain-cramp prone kid refused to play for them, so he was traded to the cellar-dwelling Islanders for a vastly superior defenceman, Wade Redden. (And don't give me the argument about Berard's injury. He was already viewed as a one-dimensional, error prone defenceman who wasn't going to be as good as the multi-faceted Redden). Berard was then dealt to Toronto, where he suffered the injury.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have pretty much given up all hope.

He doesn't have much value at all right now, so there isn't any sense in moving him especially considering Montreal is thin in defense prospects.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand the perception that Hainsey is a bad seed, or has a bad attitude. If someone could explain that.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
shayne said:
3..1st rd pick

Thats a horrible reason. Just because a player was picked in the first round does not make him more valuable. Lets say the Habs took Loic Lacasse in the first round this past year instead of Chipchura, would Lacasse be worth more then he is now? Nope! He's a bad goalie in the 6th round, and he'd still be a bad goalie in the 1st round.

You're other points in your post have some truth to them, but #3 just makes no sense. In my opinion Hainsey's value is pretty damn low right now.

Sparepart

Jun 6, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:
I don't understand the perception that Hainsey is a bad seed, or has a bad attitude. If someone could explain that.

He has a reputation for enjoying partying. Thats how he got the nickname "Hollywood" Hainsey. I guess some people think Hainsey hasnt shown enough commitment to hockey (his career) and would rather have a good time, I tend to agree with these people.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:

He seems like a bad seed on and off the ice, which definitly is a concern to me. Half assed efforts on ice, particularly when the going gets tough. Very skilled but gets too cute at times. Fairly big player plays physical like a 14 years old school girl. Cockiness (which is ok when you actually deliver). Disappeared without a trace for a short while, to the surprise of everybody, including his agent. There are other tidbits here and there that point to a bad attitude but I won't get into that.

Red flags all over the place for this guy.

He's obviously very talented. Wouldn't make sense to trade him as I suspect his value is fairly low. Perhaps a trade involving another "puzzle" going Montreal's way might work.

The fact he was a 1st rounder means nothing 4+ years later. If Montreal gets a lot for this guy, it will be because a team likes what it sees of Hainsey *now*, not his totally irrelevant draft position in 2000.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Jason Herter was a first round pick in a weak year, too. What's your point?

You failed to mention one thing: drive. If he was driven, he'd be trying his best in the AHL, instead of floating through every game. 8 points in 39 games are respectable numbers for No. 4, defensive defencemen, not offensive guys. Jason Spezza and Dan Hamhuis know they're too good for the AHL, too, and that hasn't stopped them from being among the elite.

Jay Bouwmeester isn't having such a good year either in the AHL despite being NHL ready already.

Hainsey, when he feels like it, can play very well both offensively and defensively. He just doesn't want often it seems. :banghead:

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I think Hainsey's main problem is his attitude, he just doesn't want be in the AHL and he doens't have the character to just play hard while he's there despite the fact that he doens't like it there. Though he does definetly have the skill to be an NHLer just the character and work ethic is the problem, he needs some motivation, I didn't think he played bad whatsoever when he was called up last year 2 points in 10 games and a +3, and he wasn't nearly as bad in the AHL either as he is this year i'm guessing because he knew he could be called up to the big club but this year as we all know thats not a possibility so he simply doens't care. I'm thinking whenever the NHL does start up he will start to work hard again as the NHL is where he wants to be and where he feels he belongs. I'd personally like to see the Habs management give him a chance at 6 or 7 D when the NHL comes back and hopefully a veteran D will be a good mentor to him and he'll get on the right track and become a part of the main team for years to come, but I think if the team fails to keep him on the big club next time around that will completly ruin him he'll just be so frustrated by that point and have a low level of confidence and at that point i'd just write him off as a bust, but not yet.

fred2792

Nov 3, 2004
Ste-Therese
I think Hainsey could be more effective with a team who haven't expectation for the next season and could let him play and take experience without pressure. Maybe team like Carolina, Pittsburg or Washington could take a chance, but we won't receive a player with the same kind of potentiel.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think he would be better off playing in a city that does'nt have the expectations that Montreal has. He could be very good if he was driven and wanted to succed.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
shayne said:
Ron Hainsey is still valuable and here are my reasons,

1.. smooth skating
2..good size
3..1st rd pick
4..has shown in the past( nhl pre season and a little Ahl) that he has a good shot and can be offensive
5..the new NHL economics, teams will look to unload veteran players for young, inexpensive players svitov for sydor)
6..every GM and scout wonders if a change of scenery changes the player
7.. i think Hainsey thinks he is a NHL player, he does not to put an effort in the A because he is a cocky type who feels he does not belong in Hamilton( Hollywood Hainsey)
8.. he is an american, he probably would be a good fit in the US ( i liken him to brian berard, ottawa vs Long island

I do agree, Hainsey could and should be moved when the NHL resumes but i beleive he still has value.
Cheers :)

ehhhhhh, i think your propaganda for hainsey wont do much. hehe lets face the truth my friend, Hainsey has the attitude of a 13 years old trying to impress his math professor by throwing planes at him...

I start to hate hainsey has his AHL carreer continues, imo he isnt a waste 1st round pick just yet has he may need a GOOOOOOD lesson in the NHL... and if he doesnt learn... well.. BUUUBYYYYE.. good luck somewhere else and thanks for the 3th round pick. lol

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Disappeared without a trace for a short while, to the surprise of everybody, including his agent.

Just a clarification. I will assume you are referring to the weekend Hainsey was supposed to sign with Hamilton, and didn't because of "personal reasons." For the record, that was the weekend Hainsey had his court case heard, in Quebec City, over that rental dispute. Everybody knew where he was (he was using a Hab lawyer after all), but I guess his agent didn't want to draw further attention to the fact that Ron couldn't play hockey, because he was too busy in court. Bad press, and all.

Also for the record, Hainsey won that court case, the charges were dismissed, and the judge even went so far as to ridicule the accusers, for trumping up a frivolous lawsuit.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hainsey seems to be lacking hockey between the ears, in that he's got the physical tools, skates well, is big, will pin his man along the boards, will take the puck end to end (although not overly effective), he can make good passes and has a good or even very good point shot along with some decent offensive abilities. But in his own end he suffers from way too many mental breakdowns, simple plays aren't so simple for him and turnovers are just too common. I must say it's hard to watch such a skilled defensemen make so many bad plays where you just can't believe they did that and often find yourself saying what the hell was he thinking. But then again I should be used to that since I've been watching Brisebois do it on the Habs defense for many years now.

I can't see the Habs trading him, since I assume the return would be poor and we are currently light on defensive prospects. Most of our D prospects are '84's, so they still need a few years of experience for the most part. Hainsey has some decent skills and if the NHL preseason was like the NHL season he'd be an All Star. I will say I think he's improved his defensive game and physical game this year, but still makes too many turnovers.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
JohnnyReb said:
Just a clarification. I will assume you are referring to the weekend Hainsey was supposed to sign with Hamilton, and didn't because of "personal reasons." For the record, that was the weekend Hainsey had his court case heard, in Quebec City, over that rental dispute. Everybody knew where he was (he was using a Hab lawyer after all), but I guess his agent didn't want to draw further attention to the fact that Ron couldn't play hockey, because he was too busy in court. Bad press, and all.

Well, if that's correct (and I haven't seen it documented this way anywhere) his agent handled the situation poorly at best. He literally left the impression he had no idea where he was. Not something you should do as an agent.

Where did you hear this?

Munchausen

eddy said:
he needs some motivation, I didn't think he played bad whatsoever when he was called up last year 2 points in 10 games and a +3, and he wasn't nearly as bad in the AHL either as he is this year i'm guessing because he knew he could be called up to the big club but this year as we all know thats not a possibility so he simply doens't care.

Honestly, if it's really his mind set (don't know, just saying if), I don't want this guy on my team, at any level, in any role. If you dose your efforts depending on your role on the team or the level you're playing at, you're a waste of anyone's interest.

This guy, from all I've seen of him, including some interviews, makes me think he's a future cancer for any team. He doesn't want it hard, yet he seems to think he's the next best thing since sliced bread. I agree with Vlad, cockiness passes when you walk the walk, but in Hainsey's case, it just adds to his problematic package.

When I think about attitude problems that will never change based on the guy's personality and therefore should be detected in the pre-draft interviews, Hainsey is the perfect example of that. One other thing that tends to show he's a head case is the lack of improvement in the AHL. You will never see Hainsey work hard on anything and logically, he won't improve on anything as a result.

He does have talent. So what. This guy will never work hard for anything else than a paycheck. I have zero respect for Hollywood. Like always, I hope he proves me wrong next year, where it'll be do or die, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
Well, if that's correct (and I haven't seen it documented this way anywhere) his agent handled the situation poorly at best. He literally left the impression he had no idea where he was. Not something you should do as an agent.

Where did you hear this?

From another board (and unfortunately, the link is no longer active, so you can't see the full article).

Canadiens' Hainsey wins ruling

MARK CARDWELL
Freelance

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Ron Hainsey has stickhandled his way out of an embarrassing $11,000 lawsuit brought on by two former landlords who accused him of turning their apartment into a "pigpen" that couldn't be rented for months after he left.

In a ruling handed down last Thursday, Quebec rent-board adjudicator Marc Begin rejected and, at times, ridiculed the claimants' arguments that Hainsey owed them $10,443.55 for eight months rent, plus interest.

"Tribunals are often confronted with controversial evidence," Begin wrote. "In the present case, what is amazing is that, not only do the (claimants') witnesses contradict each other, they contradict their own testimony."

http://www.canada.com/montreal/mont....html?id=4386cafa-c4b9-429b-bb9e-48135fdf3774

Wow. A 22 year old with a messy bathroom.

(For those of you without access, the judge ordered Hainsey to pay the Thibodeaus $50, plus interest, as well as $84.31 in court fees for the clean-up of "a bathroom left in an unclean state."

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Yeah, I know he went to court. But what I don't know is whether his agent knew where he was or not. From what I have read in newspaper, he didn't know where Hainsey was or why he didn't report. Same for members of the organization.

It seems a few key people who should have known where this dude was, didn't.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
He seems like a bad seed on and off the ice, which definitly is a concern to me. Half assed efforts on ice, particularly when the going gets tough. Very skilled but gets too cute at times. Fairly big player plays physical like a 14 years old school girl. Cockiness (which is ok when you actually deliver). Disappeared without a trace for a short while, to the surprise of everybody, including his agent. There are other tidbits here and there that point to a bad attitude but I won't get into that.

Red flags all over the place for this guy.

He's obviously very talented. Wouldn't make sense to trade him as I suspect his value is fairly low. Perhaps a trade involving another "puzzle" going Montreal's way might work.

The fact he was a 1st rounder means nothing 4+ years later. If Montreal gets a lot for this guy, it will be because a team likes what it sees of Hainsey *now*, not his totally irrelevant draft position in 2000.
Excellent anaylsis Vlad. Personally, I feel the Habs are better off holding to him, and hope he pans out, unless a GM like Clarke sees something in him and decides to do a huge overpay like he did with Chouinard, who had no business going for a 2nd rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad