Prospect Info: Roman Kantserov 44th Overall

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Yeah I'm not pressed about it. Kayumov is likely at least as good as Entwistle/R. Johnson but I see him as a fringe guy. People forget Shalunov was actually here, but got sent down to the ECHL. While he was young and it would have been nice if he stuck around, he never became a KHL star and they didn't miss much there either.

If Kantserov is good enough, he will come over. They always do.
Thats what I was thinking. If you aren't good enough to make any money over here, it makes sense to be a star player on a competitive team in the KHL. Kantserov is immensely talented. He can sustain a significant NHL role that will get him paid. It's all about business decisions and I would much rather play in the KHL than to be some AHL call-up.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kantserov only recently got promoted to the #1line...so obviously his coaches now think he is ready to produce even more...watch out for for an explosion next season. If they keep him on the top line ibstead if burying hom on thec4thborc3rd lines like most of this season..

We may have found the next Kucherov or Panarin..

And now that he is on thevtop line hevhas ran with it and is now producing at a better clip...Getting even better in tgse playoffs..

It is nice to see this developing before our eyes.

One might ask why did it take Mettalurg so long to move hom into a bigger scoring role?

Was he not ready at the start of the season?

Or was this a case where once they did give him a bigger role,he has played so well they now trust him to fill a starring role now and ibtendcto keep him in such a featured role?

The KHL is a league dominated by much older veteran players ...late 20s and early 30s..so as a 19 year old for him to shone...especially in more intense playoff hockey is very encouraging for Blackhawks fans..

Last edited:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
He will be known as an offensive player, and rightfully so - but his defense is also very good because he anticipates the play so well and has great quickness to get on the puck in a blink. I enjoyed watching him on the PK today - there was a play where he raced two opponents to the puck behind their net and battled both of them and almost got a shorthanded shot away before a 3rd opponent came to help handle Kantserov - it was cool to see.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well with his team's win yesterday they advance to the KHL Final series against Shalunov and Kayumov with Lokomotiv..

Kantserov also has 2 team-mates who were also Blackhawks draftees= RobinPress and Luke Johnson..

So 5 Blackhawks draftees are in this KHL Final series for the Championship ....3 on Metallurg anf 2 on Lokomotiv.

Last edited:

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019

Article about him in the Athletic this morning. (behind a pay wall of course)

Here are some highlights from it.

"Blackhawks assistant general manager of player development Mark Eaton spoke highly of him recently.

“No doubt, he’s an intriguing player,” Eaton said. “Has a ton of upside with his skill set, the skating ability, the skill, the competitiveness that he has. Again, the KHL is a place that he’s going to be able to continue to grow as a player and develop. He’s a player that is intriguing and (we’re) excited about the thought, a couple of years from now, (of) him potentially coming over here.”

"The Blackhawks would probably love to have him in North America next season, but Kantserov, who turns 20 in September, decided to re-sign in the KHL and his contract won’t expire until after the 2025-26 season. The Blackhawks do expect him to sign and come over for the 2026-27 season. That would be three years after drafting him, which is a normal timetable for a lot of prospects."

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We’ve come a long way from when I was checking to see if he’d make the playoff lineup. Now I’m checking to see production deep into the khl playoffs. Exciting stuff.

Reactions: TLEH

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
His team just won the KHL Gagarin cup. He played on the 1st line throughout the entire series

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
13pts in 23 playoff games is quite the jump for someone who only had 15 in 53 regular season games. And the points he got in the post-season weren't cheap points either, they were generally the result of smart plays and an aggressive forecheck.

Happy for him. If this is how he's gonna develop in Russia, then I'm fine with him sticking there for a few more years.

If we're lucky, he turns into the next Russian superstar picked way later in the draft than he had any right to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad