Prospect Info: Roman Kantserov 44th Overall

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Roman Kantserov, born September 20th, 2004, in Magnitogorsk, Russia, is a forward playing in the Russian hockey circuit. The 5’9” and 176 pound forward played almost his entire season in the MHL with Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk. There, he scored 27 goals and assists for 54 points in 45 contests. Meanwhile, he got one game at the KHL level, with no points to show for it.

Without any international play to show, and being undersized, it’s no surprise he wasn’t favored more highly with scouts. In fact, his rankings were between 32nd and 96th. Those rankings included 32nd by FCHockey, 42nd by Craig Button, 51st by The Hockey News, 56th by Draft Prospects Hockey, 57th by McKeen’s Hockey, 60th by Smaht Scouting, 62nd by Hockey Prospect Radio, 68th by Daily Faceoff, 69th by Bob McKenzie, 72nd by Elite Prospects, 95th by FloHockey, and 96th by Dobber Prospects.

Reactions: d rake

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Not a fan of this pick.

In the third round? Sure.

But this early?

He's a fine MHL player, but I don't know that he amounts to an NHL talent.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Extremely good skater that I had on my website as an HM, but I took him off due to not having enough video on him.

Dead Meat

Apr 27, 2004
E7056D18-A239-4324-970E-121BF5668964.jpeg

Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Very clear why they targeted him watching this. Decent swing as a boom or bust type pick.
I couldn't be more happy with Lardis, Kantserov, Gajan, and Misiak. Misiak and Gajan I've seen the least. I don't know how to evaluate goalies, but the Hawks love Gajan, so I'll support it. Misiak looks good from what I've seen and I love the size. Can't wait to see how these guys develop

Reactions: dreadpirateroberts

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I'm not really familiar with this kid....sounds like he fits the mold though and might be a little more boom or bust type.......a bit surprised we went smallish again, but gotta trust the scouting on this given what was available.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kantserov's english is also supposedly very good. This could be a very underrated pick here.
If they can get him to Rockford as soon as next year, it at least makes me a bit more confident that they can shape him into something.

The Russian junior league is really awful. So many of these high scoring MHLers never amount to anything. And even the VHL and KHL are spotty. Kantserov's club hasn't produced an NHL talent since Malkin I think.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
If they can get him to Rockford as soon as next year, it at least makes me a bit more confident that they can shape him into something.

The Russian junior league is really awful. So many of these high scoring MHLers never amount to anything. And even the VHL and KHL are spotty. Kantserov's club hasn't produced an NHL talent since Malkin I think.
If he’s half of what Malkin is/was then it’ll turn out to be a phenomenal pick.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Interestingly when asked about Kantserov, Mike Doneghey made it a point to say that he only has one year left on his contract.

Makes it sound like they'll try to pull him out of Russia ASAP.
That actually is perfect. He turns 19 in Sept and I would not want him playing in the A this season anyways. Let him play in Russia and hopefully a decent amount in the KHL against men and bring him over next season.

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Well - don't know much about kid... but hilites ( Versus- youngins) show
Excellent hands/shot... sneaky quick to the puck in tight spaces... Excellent--Kane like patience around the net....

How this transfers into NHL versus men???? Time will tell- but I agree with many here... could be a Homerun or bust type.

Can anyone comment on his top line speed? Or IQ in other places on ice?
Really has some " Kucherov" type skills-- Kucherov- imo- isn't great at anyone thing-- except Hockey.
He is a "Knack" guy-- has a knack for showing up at exactly the right time or putting the puck /pass/shot in the right place at the right time... my 2 cents

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Can’t wait to talk about him MAYBE coming stateside nine years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad