OT: Roller Hockey Leagues in NJ

Jiri Bicek

Rusty Shackleford
Feb 16, 2006
Jersey City, NJ
Question: Why do people play roller hockey? Is it cheaper?

Cheaper and more convenient

You just grab your skates, gloves, stick, and a puck/ball and play

There's a bunch of rinks around my area, so most of the time there are people playing if it's nice out.. Easy pickup game

I've played roller on and off for a while.. Never played on ice

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
so it's a 4 on 4 free for all with nobody playing defense, with one person just hogging the puck and trying to show off?

Depends on who is on your team, especially if it's a pickup game. Some of the kids I play with are very good, others can't hold onto the puck. There are games where I pass a lot because I can trust the people on my team to be able to do something with it, and there are games where I have to try to dangle around everyone because nobody else can do anything.

kiwidevil

Starting playing again for the first time in 10-12 years.(Im 26 now)

The game has changed so much since I used to play. But when I used to play it's when the sport was first being introduced to New Zealand.

Do you guys play the same type of rules with just a centre line that you can not pass through?

nyr2417

May 21, 2009
Nothing like droppin the gloves to spark the team in a roller hockey game

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
Cheaper and more convenient

You just grab your skates, gloves, stick, and a puck/ball and play

There's a bunch of rinks around my area, so most of the time there are people playing if it's nice out.. Easy pickup game

I've played roller on and off for a while.. Never played on ice

Me and my friends play at Normandy alot, played with James van Remsdyke there like 2 weeks after he was drafted, which confused me cause thats prob a major no-no

Jiri Bicek

Rusty Shackleford
Feb 16, 2006
Jersey City, NJ
Me and my friends play at Normandy alot, played with James van Remsdyke there like 2 weeks after he was drafted, which confused me cause thats prob a major no-no

Yeah, Normandy is usually the place to go.. I used to play there a lot, but not as much lately

Kunkle is an absolute POS

Hazlet's opening their rink soon, right in the pool club parking lot.. I hear Union Beach's rink isn't too bad and rarely crowded

ILikeItVeryMuch*

I was the Al Bundy of Roller Hockey back in the day.
Goodsports in Wall Township mutha****a.

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
Yeah, Normandy is usually the place to go.. I used to play there a lot, but not as much lately

Kunkle is an absolute POS

Hazlet's opening their rink soon, right in the pool club parking lot.. I hear Union Beach's rink isn't too bad and rarely crowded

Is union beach's McMahon Park? and are they really opening one in Hazlet? that would be sick cause my grandmother lives in the senior citizen apartments right there. I could go play then go get some meatballs

Jiri Bicek

Rusty Shackleford
Feb 16, 2006
Jersey City, NJ
Is union beach's McMahon Park? and are they really opening one in Hazlet? that would be sick cause my grandmother lives in the senior citizen apartments right there. I could go play then go get some meatballs

They've had it all built for a while now, with a skate park right next to the rink, but they have a locked cage around it..

I think there was something wrong with the surface or some town issue.. Last I heard, it should be open in time for the summer.

Not sure about the UB one.. I haven't been there yet.. Someone just mentioned it to me when we were looking for a rink recently, becuase Normandy was swamped one afternoon

Last edited:

ryangib

May 4, 2009
the one in hazlet is at veterans park, which is REALLY nice. the one in union beach is a total hell hole. roller hockey is just a totally different animal. not into it at all.

ryangib

May 4, 2009
attn: middletown mike

whered you go to highschool/what year did you graduate. i went to north and graduated in 2002.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad