OT: Rogers unveils full broadcasting lineup

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
I must be in a small minority. I'm happy that Bowen isn't doing TV broadcasts.

Never liked his games calls. Found it incredibly annoying - to the point of embarrassing. I'm embracing this change.

I'm shocked that more TSN guys didn't get a spot. They must want to be buried on TSN63 or whatever ridiculous numerical channel they'll be showing NHL highlights.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Exactly my thoughts. I would recommend it to anyone. Made games that would've been on CBC 100x more tolerable (I wasn't crazy about Bowen/Millen either). Plus it's just interesting to hear things from the other team's perspective.

It's great 90% of the time I would say.

You develop a distaste for certain personalities.

For example, I would rather watch a game aired with Glenn Healy, Craig Simpson and Kelly Hrudey than watch a San Jose Sharks game, and that's saying A LOT. The SJ guys are the worst in the league in my opinion.

Love the Preds commentators, they are the best out there. SN should throw some money at those guys.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Somebody whos pissed off and good at starting stuff, start a "we want Bowen" petition.

Or you know fans could always act like adults, accept the change, adapt, and move on instead of whining like little children "but I want it my way".

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
No Ray Ferraro =(

Yeah, it was announced quite a while ago that he signed a new deal to stay at TSN. But remember, 26 Leafs games are going to be on TSN so he'll probably doing a lot of them.

In fact, for Leaf games, you'll be seeing the TSN crew more than ever -- they have 26 regional games more than they ever had when they had a national deal.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
George Strombolopolous hosting hockey...If he sneaks in a question/comment about Atheism or being "Canada's boyfriend" or is on for anything more than a total of two minutes air time...What a weird hire.

It's a shame that Jim Hughson has any National access. He may not yet be available, but Ken Daniels (Detroit) would be a fantastic support and eventual heir to Cole.

Strombolopolous,Hughson,Healy,Stock...W...T...F.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Glad they got rid of Joe Bowen, so we can hear Dave Randorf and Paul Romanuk

- Said no one ever

I'm not a fan of either Randorf or Romanuk but Bowen was truly awful. Too much of a homer for my liking.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
George Strombolopolous hosting hockey...If he sneaks in a question/comment about Atheism or being "Canada's boyfriend" or is on for anything more than a total of two minutes air time...What a weird hire.

It's a shame that Jim Hughson has any National access. He may not yet be available, but Ken Daniels (Detroit) would be a fantastic support and eventual heir to Cole.

Strombolopolous,Hughson,Healy,Stock...W...T...F.

He probably won't do the Canada's boyfriend bit -- actually, he may do it a couple of times sort of a transition in his early broadcasts. But, really, while it's a little silly, what's so objectionable about it?

And for asking about atheism, is your objection with asking anything religion-related (which I can kind of understand) or is it specifically about atheism? Now, what if a player's religion or lack or religion becomes part of a hockey story, should Strombo or anyone else be able to ask about it?

Or do you simply object to atheism?

As for airtime, I expect he will get close to what Ron McLean got in past years -- maybe a little less if Ron is still doing Coach's Corner.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I must be in a small minority. I'm happy that Bowen isn't doing TV broadcasts.

Never liked his games calls. Found it incredibly annoying - to the point of embarrassing. I'm embracing this change.

I'm shocked that more TSN guys didn't get a spot. They must want to be buried on TSN63 or whatever ridiculous numerical channel they'll be showing NHL highlights.
I don't think it's so much that they didn't get a spot, but most guys signed long-term extensions to stay with TSN quickly after the Rogers deal was announced.

Isn't Randorf among a select few who jumped ship from TSN to Sportsnet?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I don't think it's so much that they didn't get a spot, but most guys signed long-term extensions to stay with TSN quickly after the Rogers deal was announced.

Isn't Randorf among a select few who jumped ship from TSN to Sportsnet?

Yup. Him, Pang, Mike Johnson, maybe one or two more.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
It's great 90% of the time I would say.

You develop a distaste for certain personalities.

For example, I would rather watch a game aired with Glenn Healy, Craig Simpson and Kelly Hrudey than watch a San Jose Sharks game, and that's saying A LOT. The SJ guys are the worst in the league in my opinion.

Love the Preds commentators, they are the best out there. SN should throw some money at those guys.

I think the Ranger broadcasters are the best. Sam Rosen is awesome and a pure class act.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012

GS seems obsessed with the topic. So much so that it found it's way into far too many monologues/Q&A for my liking. Praised for his style, my hope is that he leaves that social commentary component out of anything hockey related.

He's a ridiculous hire.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012
He probably won't do the Canada's boyfriend bit -- actually, he may do it a couple of times sort of a transition in his early broadcasts. But, really, while it's a little silly, what's so objectionable about it?

And for asking about atheism, is your objection with asking anything religion-related (which I can kind of understand) or is it specifically about atheism? Now, what if a player's religion or lack or religion becomes part of a hockey story, should Strombo or anyone else be able to ask about it?

As for airtime, I expect he will get close to what Ron McLean got in past years -- maybe a little less if Ron is still doing Coach's Corner.

It's a fear (perhaps irrational) that his "style" which seemed to impose certain biases will find it's way into his hockey gig.

I don't object to debates, religious, political or otherwise...I just fear for that one night a week that was a hockey sanctuary deformed to appeal to an audience that CBC thinks GS will reach, that Ron and Don didn't and couldn't.

ITM

Jan 26, 2012

Absolutely. Responsible agenda free journalism is welcomed.

I don't feel he always follows that rubric...and the Canada's boyfriend thing? What's so objectionable about it?

It's a personal preference. It's anti-HNIC in theme, character and experience. I don't want my HNIC (Or anything carrying on from it) to follow a programming style that strains to be fashionably cool. And if there's one thing GS screams, it's "cool".

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Exactly my thoughts. I would recommend it to anyone. Made games that would've been on CBC 100x more tolerable (I wasn't crazy about Bowen/Millen either). Plus it's just interesting to hear things from the other team's perspective.

agreed.
I mean we can all agree that the Leafs were bad, but at least the away guys gave the Leafs some credit and don't slam the team and/or fans at every given opportunity.

ActiveToronto

Aug 21, 2014
Facebk@ActiveToronto
I'll be one of the people who will miss Bowen greatly. His voice is so nostalgic for Leafs games, no matter what the result of the game it was entertaining. The only one who can rival him is Bob Cole. Looks like another year of leaf bashing by closet canuck fans in Hughson and co. Barf. Hopefully the Leafs do well enough so they keep quiet.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Thank goodness Bowen is gone. That guy was all over the top yelling and homerism, with absolutely zero substance.

I liked his game call ok, but the fake chortling and inside jokes/references to over drinking and eating to his co workers became tiresome. I began synching with radio just to get rid of him and Millen. Now I'll have to synch to get rid of Millen. At least with Ralph there will be a little original wit.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Why do you always whine about other people whining "Mr.Mature Adult"?

I think there's a difference between commenting directly on people's behavior where there's a chance it will have an impact than complaining about things on a platform where those complaints don't even reach the ears of the decision makers.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's a fear (perhaps irrational) that his "style" which seemed to impose certain biases will find it's way into his hockey gig.

I don't object to debates, religious, political or otherwise...I just fear for that one night a week that was a hockey sanctuary deformed to appeal to an audience that CBC thinks GS will reach, that Ron and Don didn't and couldn't.

CBC doesn't think anything about HNIC any more.

Rogers are the ones producing HNIC. CBC is just airing a couple of the games each week that will air under that banner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad