OT: Rogers unveils full broadcasting lineup

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I agree actually with Bowen being on Radio

I like him as well, But I'm not overly fussed about this; Now Greg Millen is another issue. Having to listen to him go on about the other teams goalie all night was more than then enough last time round. I also find his general analysis when he makes it pretty uninteresting as well.

Give me Mike Johnson any day over him.

You only need to listen to Millen for 15 games this year compared to 40 last year.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Nothing wrong with a play by play guy having a signature call. I dont mind the holy mackinaws

I didn't mind them either. Bowen just has that voice that fits Leafs games, same as Cole. The only problem I have with Bowen is how little research/knowledge he does/has about the new players in the league. He constantly mispronounces rookie names and seems to just rely on people behind the scenes for information. He's also easily confused by fast paced play. That being said, you won't find a more passionate call and sometimes it's nice to have a play-by-play announcer that doesn't sound like a robot. It's kind of like watching the game with your loud drunk uncle who has a bit of a screw loose.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Weekes gone is a travesty, Bowen off the tube is even worse.

Romanuk who was relegated to Spengler Cup duties pbp for a reason, is now back in the fold.

Oy vey..

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
In 2013-14, here was the breakdown for Leaf games:

Leafs TV: 17 games
SN Ontario: 23 games
TSN: 17 games
HNIC: 25 games

In 2014-15, the breakdown is this:

Leafs TV: 0 games
SN Ontario: 15 games
TSN4: 26 games
City TV: 4 games
SN National: 13 games
HNIC: 24 games

Far too many games on TSN. Thought I could outright cancel the channel, but I guess not. Wish every game was on a single network. I hate the inconsistencies... but at least Leafs TV is outtathere.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Romanuk who was relegated to Spengler Cup duties pbp for a reason, is now back in the fold.

Oy vey..

What was the reason?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Anybody going to answer this so I can go ahead and cancel it or not?

There are no regular season games on Leafs TV this season. That has been mentioned multiple times in this thread. It is still unknown whether some pre-season games may still be aired there.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Oy vey..

I can only assume that Weekes is working primarily with the NHL Network -- where he did a lot of work in addition to his HNIC stuff.

As for Romanuk, I assumed that the major reason he was primarily working on the Spengler Cup and other freelance assignments in Europe was that in 2005, he and his wife moved to London England because of her career as a Coca Cola marketing executive.

I'm not sure if the Rogers job means that the Romanuks are returning to Canada or if he is going to flying back and forth to London.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Bare with me but I think Bowen is actually a better radio host then TV host. He goes off on tangents which play over better on radio.

I would have to agree with this. Bowen's voice and passion brings a lot of life to the radio broadcasts. And his homerism is much more acceptable on a regional radio broadcast than it is a national television broadcast.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I can only assume that Weekes is working primarily with the NHL Network -- where he did a lot of work in addition to his HNIC stuff.

As for Romanuk, I assumed that the major reason he was primarily working on the Spengler Cup and other freelance assignments in Europe was that in 2005, he and his wife moved to London England because of her career as a Coca Cola marketing executive.

I'm not sure if the Rogers job means that the Romanuks are returning to Canada or if he is going to flying back and forth to London.

He was on Fan 590 back when he was first announced and I believe he said he and the family were moving back to Canada.

Ace88*

Meh. Leafs TV was always a bush league station anyways, cant say ill miss it

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

--------------------
What was the reason?
---------------------

He married a girl from England and lived there the last 20 years. Romanuk is good imho.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Healy is the only one that tells it like it is, Joe Bowen use to be great now he WAAYYY over the top with his call. give me Bob Cole every night and I'd be happy, he's still the best it bringing the great atmosphere to the game even if he slips up a bit every now and again.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

--------------------
What was the reason?
---------------------

He married a girl from England and lived there the last 20 years. Romanuk is good imho.

They moved to England in 2005. I'm not sure if his wife is from England or not, but they moved because of her job with Coca Cola (in marketing I believe). I remember Romanuk talking about it when he left hosting the Leafs TV show The Reporters (not to be confused with TSN's The Reporters).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad