Status
Not open for further replies.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Ugh really?

This is just as bad as Canucks 7th man banner :facepalm:

That's ridiculously stupid...

Hopefully there's enough push back so they won't.

"Here are the championship banners for some of the most legendary teams in NHL history and the one for that time a bunch of people bought a lot of tickets to a concert."

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's ridiculously stupid...

Hopefully there's enough push back so they won't.

"Here are the championship banners for some of the most legendary teams in NHL history and the one for that time a bunch of people bought a lot of tickets to a concert."

Pretty obvious that the Oilers aren't the only and likely biggest priority of the Katz crew.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
I don't see why it's a big deal. Rogers Place is just as much of a entertainment venue than a hockey rink, and Garth Brooks concert run here is unprecedented in this city. it's just a piece of fabric that is hanging from the top of the arena. I don't think I could find a bigger non-issue if I tried.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I don't see why it's a big deal. Rogers Place is just as much of a entertainment venue than a hockey rink, and Garth Brooks concert run here is unprecedented in this city. it's just a piece of fabric that is hanging from the top of the arena. I don't think I could find a bigger non-issue if I tried.

As an out of towner, I think that it's important other entertainment events that take place in the arena be acknowledged and referenced too. Without them, the arena wouldn't exist.

I just think if they were going to have something referencing Garth's string of concerts, they could've found a better way to go about it. That one just looks tacky... a plaque somewhere on the concourse or just a simple banner in a corner of the rafters without the text at the bottom would have been a better direction to go.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
A Garth Brooks banner? Are you kidding me? I'm speechless, who's decision was this?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Never heard of this guy before. But clearly, he is an idiot. Lowest common denominator. :shakehead Another Howard Stern wannabe...

Anyways, back to the subject at hand...Rogers Place...

Do yourself a favour and look him up, he is one of the funniest people on earth. Was in Edmonton last year for a show, it was fantastic.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
You guys are going to be really mad when my "27,000 posts" banner goes up in a couple months.

:laugh:.

I don't particularly have an issue with the Garth Brooks banner. As long as it has it's own area where maybe a few more music banners can hang. A single act selling out 9 entire shows is actually a pretty damn big deal in a place with our population base.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I love it.

That's a ridiculous accomplishment, only cities to do more were Chicago and Minneapolis I believe.

Only banner we'll be seeing go up for a long time anyway.

Last edited:

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
That is so awful, words can't even describe it. I'm speechless. May as well put up 1,000,000 urinal flush banners while we're at it.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So many people said in the lead up that this building would be about more than just a hockey team who hasn't been relevant in 30 years. I didn't believe them, but I'm glad to see they were right.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
That's dumb ********
Not happy about the google g in our stands for all eternity.

**** you whoever came up with that idea and whoever pushed it through

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
As someone else said, give him a plaque or something else. ****, build him a golden statue and put it in the square, I don't care. But this is really inconsistent with the tradition of the banners- and as many have stated it is completely out of place for a visitor who did good business and made a lot of money for a couple of days to have his name up in the rafters next to legends who busted their ***** for years and won championships.

He should hang a 9 sell-outs banner in his recording studio, not in Rogers Place.

Someone pointed out it was only second to Chicago & Minneapolis, a city of 400,000 ... great, so we're really special then. I'm sure they'll be hoisting him to the rafters , right?

This guy sucked a couple million dollars out of the local economy, good for him.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I don't mind the sentiment, but that's a big arena with way too many bare walls. Start a separate wall to honor these types of things.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Place the banner somewhere else instead of alongside the Oiler greats.

Pretty ridiculous.

Hopefully the banner is quickly removed much like the Oilers ''100 straight sell outs" banner or the Edmonton Rush retired Jimmy Q. banner.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Place the banner somewhere else instead of alongside the Oiler greats.

Pretty ridiculous.

Hopefully the banner is quickly removed much like the Oilers ''100 straight sell outs" banner or the Edmonton Rush retired Jimmy Q. banner.

Why would you hope for a repeat of an already disrespectful act?

I hope it stays and Rogers continues celebrating legendary musical moments like that mickey mouse org Madison Square Garden does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad