Rochester Americans: 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Ehh.. Nylander and Malone have been injured. Griffith has been up with the club because Rodrigues has been injured. Bailey got called up because of injuries. Baptiste was hopeful to make the big club and has been invisible for you guys. They've been wooing Gionta.. I'm giving Botteril/Sexton the benefit of the doubt here.
It's the AHL. It's far easier to make a move to fill a hole like the Amerks have than to do something similar in the NHL.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It's the AHL. It's far easier to make a move to fill a hole like the Amerks have than to do something similar in the NHL.

All the above forward injuries have been ~3 weeks max. It's not necessary to make moves if that's all it'll be.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Ehh.. Nylander and Malone have been injured. Griffith has been up with the club because Rodrigues has been injured. Bailey got called up because of injuries. Baptiste was hopeful to make the big club and has been invisible for you guys. They've been wooing Gionta.. I'm giving Botteril/Sexton the benefit of the doubt here.
1. Malone is not in any way, shape or form an offensive threat at this point in the AHL. He's a bottom 6 forward.
2. Nylander was inconsistent and spotty at best last year. Until I watch him actually consistently produce offensively, I don't consider him a solution. Is he better than Dalton Smith? Yes, but he's not an impact player. He also didn't have a training camp and is coming off an injury. Any production from his is likely far off.
3. There is no guarantee Griffith will be back any time soon, if at all. They need every forward to be healthy before he has a chance to get waived. He was also claimed multiple times, so he's no guarantee to even make it down.
4. Rodrigues is one of the few internal solutions to their offensive woes. But again, we have no idea when he'll be back or how long he'll need to get going after being injured. And that's if he even comes down, considering the rate at which Sabres players get hurt.
5. Gionta has pretty much no interest in playing for Rochester. If he did, he would've been playing in games by now.
6. Baptiste is not really an offensive threat in the AHL unless he has someone to get him the puck, which he doesn't have right now. He also appears to be sulking.

What all of this means is there is very little help internally and it's not coming any time soon. So either the team as currently constituted needs to figure out how to score significantly more than 1.8 goals per game, or they need to find some help outside the organization. I have a lot more confidence in Botterill and Sexton to find help if needed versus Murray, but the truth is they do need to make a move in addition to becoming healthy.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Who's actually available to sign to an AHL deal at this point or do you mean they should make a minor league deal for a whatever level prospect or late draft choice?

I'd think at this early point in the season it's kinda hard to make too many deals, and I'm not really up on players available for AHL deals that would work with the vet limits/etc.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Who's actually available to sign to an AHL deal at this point or do you mean they should make a minor league deal for a whatever level prospect or late draft choice?

I'd think at this early point in the season it's kinda hard to make too many deals, and I'm not really up on players available for AHL deals that would work with the vet limits/etc.
There’s not much available that I know of. It’s possible that there might be someone who was in Europe last season that’s still a free agent. The Sabres brought in two players from Europe mid season last year in Mullen and Kennedy. There will be chances for that, but maybe not right now.

Teddy Purcell is the one that sticks out the most, but sounds like he’s going to the KHL. Bobby Farnham would be a good addition in general with the energy he brings, but not much offense.

It’s difficult to know who’s willing to play in the AHL. Is PA Prenteau willing? Probably not, but he’d bring quite a bit of offense.

Mostly I want to see them either looking at the waiver wire so Rochester gets the trickle down effect or exploring a trade. When the defense gets a bit healthier there will be a surplus of defensemen and I’d like to see a trade for a forward.

Gionta is an obvious solution but I think it’s his decision to not play games.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm wondering if they are trying to angle someone out of their European deal and looking to come back. Miele in the SHL or maybe Taylor Beck who's on IR in the KHL right now were the guys who I might investigate in terms of their contract status (like, do they have an out and if so, can the Sabr---err Amerks foot the bill).

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I don’t understand what you expect. A bunch of guys went down during camp and at that point nobody is going to be left to sign from elsewhere.

Nylander is the best offensive prospect you’re going to get out of Buffalo right now. Griffith can’t keep a spot in the big league and will be down once injuries are over. Do you really think another NHL team is going to take someone who can’t even earn a spot over Jordan Nolan right now?

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I don’t understand what you expect. A bunch of guys went down during camp and at that point nobody is going to be left to sign from elsewhere.

Nylander is the best offensive prospect you’re going to get out of Buffalo right now. Griffith can’t keep a spot in the big league and will be down once injuries are over. Do you really think another NHL team is going to take someone who can’t even earn a spot over Jordan Nolan right now?
I addressed everything pretty thoroughly in my previous post. Not going to repeat myself.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

T
onight's Game -
The Rochester Americans (2-3-0-0) look to snap a three-game losing streak tonight as they make their first trip of the season - and first in franchise history to Place Bell for the front end of a home-and-home series with the Laval Rocket. The 7:30 pm contest will be the first of eight scheduled meetings between the new North Division rivals this season and will be broadcast LIVE on The Sports Leader 95.7 FM/950 AM ESPN Rochester.
Rest Of The Game Preview - http://www.amerks.com/preview/20171025

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@AmerksHockey -

#AmerksGOAL - @NickBaptiste with his 1st goal of the season gives the Amerks a 3-2 lead!
The PPG was assisted by Gill and Goers.

The #Amerks take a 3-2 lead into the second intermission against the #Rocket. SOG: #Roc: 16 #LAV: 2.

@CB_63 with his second goal of the night as @NickBaptiste records his third point (1+2) of the game.
#Amerks have a 4-2 lead!

12:02 left in the third period as the #Amerks trail in shots on goal 34-23 but lead the #Rocket on the scoreboard 4-2.

#AmerksGOAL - @cNelly8 makes it 5-2 with 3:41 to play!

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Game Recap - (Laval, Quebec) - After falling behind 2-1 near the midway point of the opening period, the Rochester Americans (3-3-0-0) responded with four straight unanswered goals on their way to a 5-2 victory over the Laval Rocket (4-3-1-0) in the inaugural meeting between the two teams Wednesday night at Place Bell. The win also snaps a three-game skid for the Amerks, who improve to 2-0-0-0 on the road this season.

Nick Baptiste recorded his first multi-point (1+2) outing of the season as did Colin Blackwell (2+1), Sahir Gill (1+1) and Garret Ross (0+2) to help the Amerks in the come-from-behind victory. Casey Nelson capped off the scoring for Rochester as he netted his first of the season, while goaltender Linus Ullmark evened his record on the campaign to 2-2-0 after making 37 saves on the night, which included 28 over the final 40 minutes of play.

Former Amerk Nick Deslauriers began the scoring for the Rocket while Chris Terry scored his team-leading sixth goal of the season. Second-year netminder Zachary Fucale suffered his first loss of the season while stopping 22 of 27.

Next Game - The same two teams meet again for the second time in three nights as the home-and-home series shifts back to Rochester on Friday night for a 7:05 pm rematch at The Blue Cross Arena. The game will be carried LIVE on The Sports Leader 95.7 FM/950 AM ESPN Rochester.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://amerks.com/recap/20171025

Game-Sheet - Game #6 - Rochester Americans 5 Laval Rocket 2 -
https://lscluster.hockeytech.com/ga...php?lang_id=1&client_code=ahl&game_id=1017213

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Anyone have the Rochester Amerks TV schedule for this season? I couldn't find it.

You couldn't find it because one hasn't been announced yet - thats if they plan on televising games this season. Last years schedule (only five games - four on MSG and one on MSG+) was announced sometime in November.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Tonight's Game - The Rochester Americans (3-3-0-0) look to complete the two-game sweep over the Laval Rocket (4-3-1-0) tonight as the new North Division rivals meet for the second time in three nights in the back-end of a home-and-home series at The Blue Cross Arena. The 7:05 pm contest will be the second of eight meetings between the two teams this season and will be broadcast LIVE on The Sports Leader 95.7 FM/950 AM ESPN Rochester.

Rest Of The Game Preview - http://www.amerks.com/preview/20171027?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Tonight's Rosters - http://amerks.com/downloads/20171027-AmerksRocketRosters.pdf

Tonight's Game Notes - http://amerks.com/downloads/20171027-Amerks-Laval Notes.pdf

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Odd that they have Falk, Fedun and Redmond up and practicing today with the Sabres yet the Amerks have a game tonight in Rochester and none of the three was sent down to play.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Odd that they have Falk, Fedun and Redmond up and practicing today with the Sabres yet the Amerks have a game tonight in Rochester and none of the three was sent down to play.

It's easier for them to practice here in Buffalo and then travel to Rochester than getting up early and having to go to Rochester to make their morning game-day practice. (Thats if one or more of them is being sent down to play in tonight's Amerks game.) No need to rush to make it to Rochester if they practice here as they have all afternoon to get there to play in tonight's game. The Sabres practice will be a bit more tougher than the Amerks one since its not a gameday skate. If two or all three are called up - the Sabres won't have enough bodies on defense for a regular practice while the Amerks already have a full set of bodies on defense for the much weaker gameday skate.

I'm guessing none of them are being sent down to play in Rochester tonight and then being called back to play in Buffalo on Saturday afternoon because 1) Fedun-Redmond need to be up here due to injuries - Falk is just getting back from an injury. 2) The Sabres game is in the afternoon. Two games in a little over 12 hours - too much to handle? 3) The Amerks just won with their current lineup - don't want to mess things up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad