Rochester Americans: 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ullmark stopped multiple breakaways too .. plus Amerks had their chances as well.

It's the timing of the thing. It's like the games where Lehner stands on his head in the first and then lets in some AHL-side crap that sinks the team later in the game. That was a stop I'm sure he'd like to make, just didn't get it done and at a bad time.

Reactions: jBuds

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
That goal reminds me of Lehner and Johnson -- should be a stop, goes in and they lose.
Ullmark has an uncanny ability to let bad goals in. Such a bad loss tonight. They had every opportunity to win this game and blew way too many chances. Late goal against in the second. Blown powerplays where they gave up more chances than they had themselves. They play way too inconsistently.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Griffith sounds like hes an AHL star at the very least. I still think he could have an NHL career with proper player usage..but its harder to evaluate on the Sabres when it seems like half the roster is dead weight or struggling as is.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sounds like they played pretty well, but took an L. Shot counter seems to be evidence of that, as well. Toronto just capitalized on more of its chances. Frustrating, but it happens. Love Guhle's chutzpah in his post-game quotes.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sounds like they played pretty well, but took an L. Shot counter seems to be evidence of that, as well. Toronto just capitalized on more of its chances. Frustrating, but it happens. Love Guhle's chutzpah in his post-game quotes.
They played really well, I thought. Multiple instances of sustained offensive pressure in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Guhle is so dynamic and fun to watch. I even thought Nylander had a good game. Sucks to take the L, but they worked their butts off I thought.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Griffith sounds like hes an AHL star at the very least. I still think he could have an NHL career with proper player usage..but its harder to evaluate on the Sabres when it seems like half the roster is dead weight or struggling as is.

Griffith is likely the classic case of a very good offensive player who lacks what it takes to be a role player. He is not an exceptional skater,, and is small. I'm not convinced he can be a effective player on the bottom two lines hence he needs to be a top 6. But he is likely not good enough for that.

AHL is littered with those type of players. 24 and on his 4th organization pretty much confirms that.

But every so often one of these players really do break through. StLouis was 25 before someone gave him a legitimate chance chance. But its 1 in a 100. It may come to pass, but if not, even the AHL is a godo way to make a living compared to most of us.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So happy for CJ and Linus doing well. Alex is a write off in my books right now if he cant cut it even at AHL level yet. Sometimes this happens, shame it happened to us but we have plenty of prospects doing well instead of him so it's all good. If Alex comes back to life it's just a bonus.

It's quite premature to write Alex off at this point. He's got plenty of time to develop his game. For context CJ Smith is 3 years older. Yeah we all want Nylander to tear it up immediately like his brother did. But if in a year or two or even three he becomes the player we need him to be, what does it matter?

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It's quite premature to write Alex off at this point. He's got plenty of time to develop his game. For context CJ Smith is 3 years older. Yeah we all want Nylander to tear it up immediately like his brother did. But if in a year or two or even three he becomes the player we need him to be, what does it matter?
Then that is a bonus that I did not expect to have :) I'd rather look at that in this way than to have high expectations and be disappointed. I'm just going by what you guys are saying as I don't watch Roch except for highlights.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
They played really well, I thought. Multiple instances of sustained offensive pressure in the 2nd and 3rd periods. Guhle is so dynamic and fun to watch. I even thought Nylander had a good game. Sucks to take the L, but they worked their butts off I thought.
Agreed. They were outplayed in the first, but dominated the second period and slightly outplayed TO in the third. They gave up a few breakaway, but other than that I thought they play a hell of a game. There was a point in the second period after Nylander scored where they had possession in TOs zone for a solid 2 minutes at least. The arena was buzzing.

Guhle is very exciting to watch. The kid has the offensive instincts you fiend over. Nylander had some nice plays but also a couple lousy turnovers. Overall I was impressed with him. He just needs to be more confident on the puck. He doesn't seem to want the puck on his stick. He did have some really nice breakout passes, especially on the first goal; he made a nice quick pass from the defensive zone to set up the odd man rush. His goal was a great effort as well. He put a wicked wrister glove side high that the goalie couldn't control and followed up thre rebound putting it five hole. Good stuff.

Bailey reminded me of Bartovic- all the speed in the world but no tools to go with it. He'll need to play a very simple game to carve out a career in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reddawg

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Tonight's Game - The Rochester Americans (15-6-3-3) renew their intrastate rivaly with the Utica Comets (11-11-3-1) tonight in a North Divison showdown at the Adirondack Bank Center. The matchup will be the seventh of the season and second in the last four days between the two teams. Game time is slated for a 7:00 pm ET start and will be carried LIVE on The Sports Leader 95.7 FM/950AM ESPN Rochester.

Rest Of The Game Preview - Amerks at Comets.

Tonight's Game Notes - Amerks at Comets - http://amerks.com/downloads/20171216-Amerks-Utica Notes.pdf

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The impatience with Nylander is really being compounded by the narrative of his draft.

Supposedly the defensemen in his draft class would take 3+ years to climb above bottom pairing minutes. That they've played like ~200 effective NHL games while safely projecting to plus top 4 roles while our guy is struggling to adapt to pro hockey is insult to injury.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
So Smith is tearing it up.

When does he get a call up?
Does a prospect always need a recall any time he plays well? He’ll get a few games in Buffalo this season. More importantly, he needs to be part of a team that has the potential to make a playoff run this year. Next year is his time to push for a full time job.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Does a prospect always need a recall any time he plays well? He’ll get a few games in Buffalo this season. More importantly, he needs to be part of a team that has the potential to make a playoff run this year. Next year is his time to push for a full time job.

If he can step in and start producing right away for Buffalo then that is ultimately more important.

Haven't actually seen him play in Rochester so I'm not sure how ready he is. But nonetheless I'll be surprised if he's not the next guy called up.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
If he can step in and start producing right away for Buffalo then that is ultimately more important.

Haven't actually seen him play in Rochester so I'm not sure how ready he is. But nonetheless I'll be surprised if he's not the next guy called up.
I’m going to go ahead and disagree with you. He’s better off playing the minutes he’s playing in Rochester and being a part of a winning team that will get playoff experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad