Roberto Luongo Announces Retirement

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
the recapture penalty should go to the team that has the player when he retires. that's just dumb that the canucks have to pay for it. same with the flyers/predators and weber.

Vancouver enjoyed the years with the lower cap hit then what they were actually paying him. Florida enjoyed the years where they were paying less then the actual cap hit.

Reactions: Kallio

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Retirement instead of LTIR comes down to FLA pushing for that IMO, helps them out more than LTIR would.

Roberto is such a consummate professional, he's not looking to play hardball on the way out especially if he hopes to get back into the organization at some point down the road.

As a Nucks fan, it sucks because of other teams getting it out of it, like New Jersey getting out of it & getting their 1st round pick back. And Chris Pronger working for the NHL while he was on LTIR.

But at the same time we totally benefited from a lower cap hit. It allowed us to build the depth for that 2011 team/run & the great teams we had.

I hope we fight & the league overturns it b/c it's BS retroactively punishing teams, but at the same time 3 Mill for 3 years isn't the end of the world.

thomaspalmer

May 27, 2016
Hamilton, ON
Nothing but respect for Lu, regardless of the recapture penalty. One of only three goalies (and 2nd all-time) in NHL history to surpass the 1000 game milestone. Great career and character more generally.

Really hope to see him in the HHOF one day.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Do you mean they will resend the re-capture penalty from the CBA? That's possible. What do you think max penalty would be then keeping in mind that the recapture was put in to try and curtail length and structure and $ amount of contracts what should be the proper punishment?

Idk, the predators had every opportunity to use their compliance buyout on Weber to avoid this penalty so they would deserve it. But at the same time I can't see the NHL hitting the preds with a 25m penalty which will be probably close to 25% of the cap around that year.

Maybe the max penalty should be the cap hit itself? So 7.8m

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Idk, the predators had every opportunity to use their compliance buyout on Weber to avoid this penalty so they would deserve it. But at the same time I can't see the NHL hitting the preds with a 25m penalty which will be probably close to 25% of the cap around that year.

The issue is that rather than rewarding players for playing almost the entire contract, the rules actively punish it.

Kovalchuk only played 3/15 years before retiring, so his benefit was spread over 12 years.

Luongo played 9/12 years, so the benefit is spread over only 3 years, with a much higher cap hit.

The benefit should be spread over the number of years the player played the contract, rather than over the number of years left (in most cases, this just creates an equivalent penalty to the benefit that was there).

Worst part of this whole thing is that a legend retired today, and the attention is focused on the salary cap impact he has rather than on his career. That should tell everyone this rule is poor.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011

What they should have done was give the ability to spread it out over more years than just the remainder of the contract. However, the max penalty should still be the difference of what the team paid versus what the cap hit was. Otherwise, it leads to team using loopholes like they tried to do before.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Luuuuuuuuuu. My all-time favorite player.

I remember being so obsessed with him starting for Team Canada leading up to 2010 Olympics. Check my post history. When Brodeur got the nod against the USA, I went and put my Brodeur hockey card in the deep freezer in hopes that Brodeur would play so bad that Babcock would start Luongo the rest of the way instead. And that's exactly what ended up happening. :DD

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Retirement instead of LTIR comes down to FLA pushing for that IMO, helps them out more than LTIR would.

Roberto is such a consummate professional, he's not looking to play hardball on the way out especially if he hopes to get back into the organization at some point down the road.

As a Nucks fan, it sucks because of other teams getting it out of it, like New Jersey getting out of it & getting their 1st round pick back. And Chris Pronger working for the NHL while he was on LTIR.

But at the same time we totally benefited from a lower cap hit. It allowed us to build the depth for that 2011 team/run & the great teams we had.

I hope we fight & the league overturns it b/c it's BS retroactively punishing teams, but at the same time 3 Mill for 3 years isn't the end of the world.
It was put in there because teams cheated in the first place. in not keeping with the fair spirit of the contracts even if it was legal.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
He had a good, long career, was the starter on an Olympic gold medal team. Now enjoy retirement, Lou!

With his wit, I'd see him well as a TV expert.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Y’all better bend the knee for the 2009 Scotiabank Fan Fav award winner.

Lock for the Scotiabank Hall of Fame.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
We have a fair bit of cap space over the next two years - I wouldn't say 2.8M is that terrible. And if it saves this team from an albatross Myers contract I'm stoked on it tbh.

Friedman did say that the Canucks had already planned around this. So I am sure they saw this coming and knew he wouldn't play out the entire deal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
One of the great people and goaltenders of his era.

He seems to want to remain involved with the game in some capacity and I think that's great, he's a really entertaining guy. Best of luck to him.

Someone on Twitter said he;s the NHL's answer to Tony Romo and I couldn;t agree more. He'd be great in the booth.

Anyhow, Bobby Lu was probably my favorite goalie during his prime. Not only was he an elite goalie, he was an elite Twitter user and an all around great person. Going to get his jersey retired by two franchises, which is pretty special.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Hmmmm I never considered the compliance buyout and that is a great point. Seems that was allowed to eliminate situations like this. I doubt Weber will play to age 40 when the 24. something one year hit would be but anything is possible. I see him hanging them up at 36 or 37 that will leave a 6 to 8 mil cap hit which the team really deserves since they matched such a stupid contract and after you pointed out did nothing to fix it thru a compliance buyout. Lifetime contracts were rare to workout and this is the NHL's attempt to fix that and structure of the contracts. The way I see it if they do not grant relief to the Canucks for Louongo then I doubt none will be given to other teams because of precedent.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

On principle recapture is correct.

On the other hand other teams have escaped it via Ltir. But those teams had the players rights the Canucks did not and neither does Nashville with Weber.

Just shows how unprepared the nhl was to institute the salary cap that they wanted back in 2005.

Nfl makes all cash paid to a player count against the cap at some point. Nhl missed the boat on that cause they failed to factor in the A and teams demoted guys to avoid the cap hit. And they allowed deals where players were paid more than their cap hit that they weren’t going to fulfill.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
All the best to him in retirement. One of the bests goalies of the past couple decades. I think he's a Hall of Famer.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Anyone still remember the trade what brought Luongo (+ Olli Jokinen) to Florida for Kvasha & Parrish?
and Luongo's replacement (DiPietro) was supposed to become the greatest goalie in the NHL

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hate to see him go, love him going on his own terms.

Love seeing a team correctly punished for the contracts instead of just getting away with LTIR.

I don't care that it is my rival team, but certainly enjoy its potential ramifications

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hate to see him go, love him going on his own terms.

Love seeing a team correctly punished for the contracts instead of just getting away with LTIR.

I don't care that it is my rival team, but certainly enjoy its potential ramifications
In principle it’s fair. But again just shows how unprepared the nhl was in setting up a salary cap system.

Should have had a team a couple of years in advance prepare the system understanding the nuances of the nhl operations vs the nfl and nba.

Every dollar paid to a player should hit the cap. So stupid that guys could get sent to the A or Europe and not count like huet and redden.

Plus when Naslund retired in 2009 the rangers didn’t take a $500k hit for the $6 mill they paid him vs his $5.5 cap hit.

That likely set the ball in motion for other teams to believe that they could back dive deals.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
Anyone still remember the trade what brought Luongo (+ Olli Jokinen) to Florida for Kvasha & Parrish?
and Luongo's replacement (DiPietro) was supposed to become the greatest goalie in the NHL
mike-milbury.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad