Roberto Luongo Announces Retirement

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
All the best in retirement Lou. Class act all the way, thanks for the Gold in 2010. Based on penalties, he did Vancouver a solid by retiring in 2019. Also saves Benning from himself in FA. Bet Canucks fans are stoked.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Problem was that Canucks signed the deal under the existing set of rules and then the rules were then changed. It was retroactively applied which violates basic legal principles. Like charging a person for a crime when at the time the person's action were not illegal. That's using the rules or law to punish people and that's what happened to the Canucks. Also irritating that others in the same situation were found ways of maneuvering out of penalties such as with New Jersey and Kowalchuk. And League let it happen.

Way the LTIR has been used has also been discriminatory. Some have obviously abused it with no sanction, and others held to the letter of the law.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Problem was that Canucks signed the deal under the existing set of rules and then the rules were then changed. It was retroactively applied which violates basic legal principles. Like charging a person for a crime when at the time the person's action were not illegal. That's using the rules or law to punish people and that's what happened to the Canucks. Also irritating that others in the same situation were found ways of maneuvering out of penalties such as with New Jersey and Kowalchuk. And League let it happen.

Way the LTIR has been used has also been discriminatory. Some have obviously abused it with no sanction, and others held to the letter of the law.
The Canucks agreed to the retroactive application of the rule though. They also were given a compliance buyout that would have negated this penalty that they elected not to use. That's not on the league, that's on them.

Reactions: Chips and Zippgunn

HopelessSensFan

Apr 28, 2019
Could somebody please explain why he didn't go the LTIR way like most other players do. I guess he has $3M in total salary left for next three years. Is he too honest? Or the money is just peanuts for him compared to the hassle of going through a doctor?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Could somebody please explain why he didn't go the LTIR way like most other players do. I guess he has $3M in total salary left for next three years. Is he too honest? Or the money is just peanuts for him compared to the hassle of going through a doctor?
Because he has a bad taste for having to spend an extra year there after he asked for a trade. He stuck it in and broke it off. Weber will do the same to Nashville in about three years you think the Canucks have it bad just look at whats going to happen in Nashville. And those who think it could be taken to court the ship has sailed on that. When the owners and players association agreed to that CBA it became binding. Either side could have held out in the lockout to have changes made but did not. The LTIR issue and contract termination issues that the Kings used are stretching the contract and if I were betting will be taken into the next contract. The league is hell bent on a CAP and will do what they have to to keep it and put further restraints on contracts GM's are handing out. The league is not growing rev fast enough to support the large salaries GM's are giving to top players putting them in Cap trouble. Look at Tampa the Leafs even the Preds moved PK to clear 9 mil to make improvement's to the team. Right now a teamhas trouble when they have three guys at 9 mil or more they have to play ELC's are scrubs to remain under the cap and it is directly due to GM's giving out too many years at inflated salary.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Congrats Bobby Luuu!! Best tender to ever wear a Canucks uniform. Favorite moment for me might have to be game 1 2007 vs Dallas, 72 saves in quad overtime win

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Luongo is definitely going into the hall of fame, and whoever is going to try and argue against that are going to have a fairly irrational argument. 3rd all-time in wins, 2nd in games played by a goaltender, 10th all time in save percentage, 9th all-time in shutouts.

It helps Florida a lot more to just take the re-capture penalty (<$1.1M) as opposed to the LTIR allowance ($4.53+) which they would then have to use and likely spend to the cap and do. I don't think Dale Tallon is smart enough to figure that one out, he just likes to spend money and then trade people when he wants to spend more.

He doesn't have an obligation to think about the Canucks, but he's also not doing it to deliberately screw them. Actually it probably helps them too because it's $3M that Jim Benning can't set on fire.

Reactions: Givememoneyback

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Because he has a bad taste for having to spend an extra year there after he asked for a trade. He stuck it in and broke it off. Weber will do the same to Nashville in about three years you think the Canucks have it bad just look at whats going to happen in Nashville. And those who think it could be taken to court the ship has sailed on that. When the owners and players association agreed to that CBA it became binding. Either side could have held out in the lockout to have changes made but did not. The LTIR issue and contract termination issues that the Kings used are stretching the contract and if I were betting will be taken into the next contract. The league is hell bent on a CAP and will do what they have to to keep it and put further restraints on contracts GM's are handing out. The league is not growing rev fast enough to support the large salaries GM's are giving to top players putting them in Cap trouble. Look at Tampa the Leafs even the Preds moved PK to clear 9 mil to make improvement's to the team. Right now a teamhas trouble when they have three guys at 9 mil or more they have to play ELC's are scrubs to remain under the cap and it is directly due to GM's giving out too many years at inflated salary.

I think Nashville will be clear, they'll bring this up at the next CBA and the owners may perhaps push for a max penalty.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I think Nashville will be clear, they'll bring this up at the next CBA and the owners may perhaps push for a max penalty.
Do you mean they will resend the re-capture penalty from the CBA? That's possible. What do you think max penalty would be then keeping in mind that the recapture was put in to try and curtail length and structure and $ amount of contracts what should be the proper punishment?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Crazy for me, one of those franchise players that started as a rookie so long after I started following hockey. Makes me feel old lol. I remember having to do a double take when they made him captain

He was just heating up around when I started playing fantasy hockey. In his prime he only sat like 6-8 games a season!

As for the recapture I can only LOL those contracts were shady AF. It seems like he could have went LTIR though wonder why he didn't anyway. Nice career Roberto.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Crazy for me, one of those franchise players that started as a rookie so long after I started following hockey. Makes me feel old lol. I remember having to do a double take when they made him captain

He was just heating up around when I started playing fantasy hockey. In his prime he only sat like 6-8 games a season!

As for the recapture I can only LOL those contracts were shady AF. It seems like he could have went LTIR though wonder why he didn't anyway. Nice career Roberto.
He definitely detailed how what it takes for him to continue to play. Does sound like what guys like Zetterberg went through at the end and what Kesler went through last season.

Not sure why he doesn’t go on ltir. Salary is still low and the Canucks pick up 15% of it. He wouldn’t have to leave his home.

Simply no teams interested? Who knows? He certainly does Florida a solid if they would have encountered difficulty in moving him.

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
He definitely detailed how what it takes for him to continue to play. Does sound like what guys like Zetterberg went through at the end and what Kesler went through last season.

Not sure why he doesn’t go on ltir. Salary is still low and the Canucks pick up 15% of it. He wouldn’t have to leave his home.

Simply no teams interested? Who knows? He certainly does Florida a solid if they would have encountered difficulty in moving him.
I don't think Florida was trying to move him so much as he is an honest guy who knows his days playing hockey at this level are behind him and he wants to move on to whatever is next.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
To Our Gallant and Worthy Foe. Roberto Luongo

Good luck in retirement...
0244C6D0-810F-4D8A-95A5-0D09F2BF05F3.jpeg

Reactions: daddyohsix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad