2004 Worlds F (Swe 5-3)
2004 World Cup SF (Cze 4-3 OT)
2010 Olympics QR (Ger 8-2)
2010 Olympics QF (Rus 7-3)
2010 Olympics SF (SVK 3-2)
2010 Olympics F (USA 3-2 OT)

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Because it's florida that traded for the player with knowledge of his contract status.

But they are not the team that were favorised by having a player with a much higher value than is cap hit, that created a contract to manufacture that advantage.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
So why didn't New Jersey face a serious cap recapture? Why did they get their 1st round pick back?

The next guy is probably Shea Weber, and from a principal standpoint atleast, shouldn't Philly face a recapture penalty? They wrote up & signed Shea Weber's contract. No chance Nashville faces that penalty IMO.

It was circumvention by the Gillis regime signing this deal, for sure. NYR did it, Chicago did it multiple times (helped them win 3 cups), Philly did it, NJ did it, exc.

But now teams are circumventing the cap again by burying these contracts, is that not a problem?

I realize LA has faced a cap recapture, and NJ's had to pay peanuts aswell, but I think (atleast here on out) Vancouver will be the only team to face this penalty.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Only likeable player from the whole canucks team.

Does anyone remember when it was a huge mystery who strombone1 was? And Luongo would openly deny it, but after five slight hints that it was in fact him? Those were such good times. He used to completely roast people.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
So why didn't New Jersey face a serious cap recapture? Why did they get their 1st round pick back?

The next guy is probably Shea Weber, and from a principal standpoint atleast, shouldn't Philly face a recapture penalty? They wrote up & signed Shea Weber's contract. No chance Nashville faces that penalty IMO.

It was circumvention by the Gillis regime signing this deal, for sure. NYR did it, Chicago did it multiple times (helped them win 3 cups), Philly did it, NJ did it, exc.

But now teams are circumventing the cap again by burying these contracts, is that not a problem?

I realize LA has faced a cap recapture, and NJ's had to pay peanuts aswell, but I think (atleast here on our) Vancouver will be the only team to face this penalty.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Both LA and NJ had to pay the full recapture amount according to the CBA. The 1st round pick was from something completely different. The reason NJ's penalty is so low is because Kovalchuk's circumvention years in his contract hadn't really kicked in yet before he defected. So Vancouver is the third team to get hit with the penalty, but first for a true retirement.

The Weber situation will be interesting for sure. We're still 4 years away. Lots of variables at play here.

I agree it's bush league that other teams are getting off mostly scot-free by using LTIR.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off

I realize LA has faced a cap recapture, and NJ's had to pay peanuts aswell, but I think (atleast here on our) Vancouver will be the only team to face this penalty.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
New Jersey was punished plus we have a 250k cap hit for him for like the next 10 years or something like that. Then again we could have ignored all of that if we just game up our pick in 2012 instead of drafting f***ing Stefan Matteau that draft.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
New Jersey was punished plus we have a 250k cap hit for him for like the next 10 years or something like that. Then again we could have ignored all of that if we just game up our pick in 2012 instead of drafting ****ing Stefan Matteau that draft.

Hahahaha.

250k isn't so bad. Long term, but atleast its minimal?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
...or anything else in the NHL. Yet he is apparently a shoo in for the HHOF based mostly on GP I guess. The most overrated goalie in history...

Was really hoping he won a vezina at least once.

That said, if luongo waited 2 more years and retire it,would have been a 9 million dollar recapture penalty.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
...or anything else in the NHL. Yet he is apparently a shoo in for the HHOF based mostly on GP I guess. The most overrated goalie in history...
What is your definition of “fame”?

He is a very successful, evidently much loved goalie with a long career split between two cities. I’d consider him HoF potential definitely. I knew who he was well before I was more than a casual fan, and I live nowhere near Florida or Vancouver lol

Even if you were never THE best any particular year, if you’re routinely up there for almost multiple decades, you are very successful and one of the best goalies. Also, having watched him play I’d say he was one of the best goalies I’ve ever seen.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What is your definition of “fame”?

He is a very successful, evidently much loved goalie with a long career split between two cities. I’d consider him HoF potential definitely. I knew who he was well before I was more than a casual fan, and I live nowhere near Florida or Vancouver lol

Even if you were never THE best any particular year, if you’re routinely up there for almost multiple decades, you are very successful and one of the best goalies. Also, having watched him play I’d say he was one of the best goalies I’ve ever seen.

Curious question: what does "fame" have to do with anything? The HHOF is based on excellence not fame, otherwise Paul Henderson would be in it, right? Lou was a very good goalie for a very long time but, and this is a big "but" he was never a real "money" goalie. He played great in January and not so great come playoff time with his absolute worst performances being the games that he really needed to win to be considered a truly "great" goalie. Certainly Sidney Crosby and Alex Burrows had better be on his Christmas card list for life. His egotism and sense of entitlement also detracted from his overall greatness and was always to the detriment of his teammates. No trophies in his case even with all the years he played means he was good not great IMHO; people who say he is a shoo in as a first ballot HHOFer are selling the hall short. The only thing he ever won was behind the best team in the world and he damn near blew that the way he blew so many other big games. Overrated.

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018

I realize LA has faced a cap recapture, and NJ's had to pay peanuts aswell, but I think (atleast here on out) Vancouver will be the only team to face this penalty.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Don't get me wrong I wouldn't put it past the NHL to change things up AGAIN the next CBA, but as it stands with the current rules no Philly would not face the recapture penalties, Nashville would.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
some extra notes.

If Luongo decided to retire next year Canucks are hit with a 6 million dollar recapture penalty for 2 seasons.
If Luongo decided to retire 2 years from now Canucks would have been hit with a 9 million dollar recapture penalty for 1 season - 800000k

If Luongo decided to go on LTIR he would have pocketed 1 million in 2020, 1 million in 2021 and 1.6 million in 2022. (3.6 million dollars)

in conclusion him retiring today gave the Canucks a huge favor as we are hit with a 2.2 million salary retained for 3 years. (3 million - 800 000k that was in our books if he was still active)

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Luongo announces retirement after 19 NHL seasons

Third-winningest goalie in League history played for Panthers, Canucks, Islanders

Luongo announces retirement after 19 NHL seasons

Roberto Luongo retires with a winning record

Roberto Luongo Stats and News

Regular Season

Games Played: 1,044
Games Started: 1,014
Games Won: 489
Games Lost: 392
Games Tied: 33
Overtime Losses: 91
Shutouts: 77

Games Lost + Overtime Losses = 483