Robby Fabbri Pulse Check

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
So it is confirmed that Fabbri did not skate with either group.. Yeo to update after 2nd group finishes up skating...

EDIT UPDATE:

Timmerman reporting that it is not knee related..

Whew, so long as it's not his knee and not something that will keep him out long-term, that's fine with me.

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Others are reporting soreness in his back. He is supposed to practice tomorrow.
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out with so many guys pushing for forward spots. I think the Blues will be very patient with Fabbri. ... just not sure what that will look like throughout the season.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Is Fabbri waivers eligible? Or can we send him to the minors on a rehab assignment of some sort? Might not be the worst thing to get him into some game action in the San Antonio before throwing him into the NHL.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Is Fabbri waivers eligible? Or can we send him to the minors on a rehab assignment of some sort? Might not be the worst thing to get him into some game action in the San Antonio before throwing him into the NHL.
He is not waiver eligible.

He could be sent down for a conditioning stint (up to 14 days) with his approval, but the Blues could be disciplined by the league if it's determined that the move was made solely to bypass re-entry waivers or otherwise circumnavigate some aspect of the CBA.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

He could be sent down for a conditioning stint (up to 14 days) with his approval, but the Blues could be disciplined by the league if it's determined that the move was made solely to bypass re-entry waivers or otherwise circumnavigate some aspect of the CBA.
This doesn't seem anywhere close to abuse of that system. This seems like it would be exactly what its for.

Reactions: Dbrownss

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
This doesn't seem anywhere close to abuse of that system. This seems like it would be exactly what its for.
I agree with that 100%, but it seems to be a subjective call on the part of the league and I can't say that I particularly trust their judgment when it comes to subjective calls. ;)

I don't think it really helps the Blues out that much from a roster management standpoint, but if they feel like Fabbri needs more minutes than they can give him to get back into the swing of things, this should certainly be an option for them.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don't think the team would do this because of the psychological impact on Fabbri. Much of his recovery at this point is psychological. I don't think they would separate him from the support of the team and players in St Louis. The main advantage to doing so would be to be able to have roster room for a player called up that they could look at (Kryou or Blais for example) that otherwise wouldn't fit.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
In the past the league hasn't had problems with teams sending players that were still recovering from previous injuries to the A for conditioning stints before playing a game in the big club. So if league says something, Blues shouldn't have any problem showing previous cases. IMO, the only reason the league would even say anything is if a GM of another team complained about it.

Mar 6, 2012

They would probably punish us by making the Blues send Pietrangelo to New Jersey.

Reactions: shmotz

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Fabbri leaves game with lower-body injury

can we just cut him and move on already?

Give the kid a change to get up to speed. He’ll be fine eventually. It’s just going to take longer than people think. Rehabbing and training is completely different than playing in a game. Hip flexors, groin, muscles are not ready for game speed yet. Once he gets over this part of his rehab, he’ll ge ready. It may take a few months. He may have to play every other game at first.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Give the kid a change to get up to speed. He’ll be fine eventually. It’s just going to take longer than people think. Rehabbing and training is completely different than playing in a game. Hip flexors, groin, muscles are not ready for game speed yet. Once he gets over this part of his rehab, he’ll ge ready. It may take a few months. He may have to play every other game at first.
can he go to the ahl to do that?

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Playing every other game would be fine too. That way he can train with the team. In 2-3 months, he’ll be back to normal. Just has to get acclimated to game speed. 18 months and 2 acl’s is a long time to be out. He’s young enough to where he should be fine. Has to overcome the mental aspect of it too. Trusting the knee.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

We can send him down, if he agrees, for a 14-day conditioning assignment. After 14-days, he'd either have to be recalled or go through waivers. He absolutely would not pass waivers. There were rumors that his name came up in trade, and we said no. So that tells me we don't want to lose him for nothing and other teams are interested.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think Fabbri will be on the back burner, considering that we have so many guys breaking out. I would not be surprised to see him on ir to start the season. Tough decisions are going to be made soon.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I guess I underestimated the return process for him.

It's getting a bit frustrating. I'm not opposed at all to letting him start in the AHL on conditioning. Gives us more of an opportunity to give Kyrou a look.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I guess I underestimated the return process for him.

It's getting a bit frustrating. I'm not opposed at all to letting him start in the AHL on conditioning. Gives us more of an opportunity to give Kyrou a look.
I think we're collectively losing some perspective when it comes to Fabbri.

Earlier this summer there were significant questions about whether he could even be counted on to contribute at the NHL level due to uncertainty about how his knee and skating would hold up.

Well, he's rusty and he's been getting a bit dinged up, but his knee hasn't collapsed, he isn't playing scared, and he generally looks like he still has an NHL career in front of him.

This all seems like a big picture win (so far) to me.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think we're collectively losing some perspective when it comes to Fabbri.

Earlier this summer there were significant questions about whether he could even be counted on to contribute at the NHL level due to uncertainty about how his knee and skating would hold up.

Well, he's rusty and he's been getting a bit dinged up, but his knee hasn't collapsed, he isn't playing scared, and he generally looks like he still has an NHL career in front of him.

This all seems like a big picture win (so far) to me.
You're right about that, I guess it's just the fact that he's had a lot of injuries besides the knee. The ankle injury (I think it was) in his first camp here, the concussion his rookie year, of course the 2 knee injuries and now in camp he's had like 3 different things already. Even if his knee holds up, it's still a concern whether the rest of his body does.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Maybe we are going to exploit the Blackhawks method of cap circumvention to bring in our youth. :laugh:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
You're right about that, I guess it's just the fact that he's had a lot of injuries besides the knee. The ankle injury (I think it was) in his first camp here, the concussion his rookie year, of course the 2 knee injuries and now in camp he's had like 3 different things already. Even if his knee holds up, it's still a concern whether the rest of his body does.

The ankle sprain was lingering from his high ankle sprain he sustained in WJC. I understand folks want him up to speed and be a contributor. But we just need to be patient and be glad we got the depth for Fabbri to get fully acclimated to playing in games. Here is a good article about Parise and conditioning stints. Including good quotes from Matt Nichols, founder of Biosteel and Fabbri’s trainer this year.

The Conditioning Stint: Does it make sense for elite NHL players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad