Kings News: Rob Blake's No. 4 jersey will be retired by the LA Kings

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
I think you are missing the point many of us have.

We are over the boooing thing, but don't believe his jersey should be retired. Not everyone who doesn't want his jersey in the rafters would still be boooing the guy.

a) I was using that excuse too, but then I realized it was really because I was still bitter.
b) If you really feel that way then I wasn't talking to you.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Can somebody think of an example of a great athlete who forced the teams hand to trade them and got their number retired? I'm sure it's happened before. I expected the decision to retire his jersey, if you look at the all time stats of the team the history is dreadful. Blake's numbers are far and away better than anybody else on defense, in a few years Doughty should cruise right by him just like Quick has in the goalie department. So I guess to me it's not an issue, when I think about being a Kings fan I think about being proud I stuck with the team through thick and thin, bad trades, bad free agents, bad ownership, bad GM's, they got nothing for Gretzky when he was dealt, it has been a brutal existence. But with 2 Cups in 3 years that's where my focus is, they have a legit shot this year, I'm looking forward to going to Frozen Fury again, so Blake's jersey going up will just be another day. I really hope he puts a lot of thought into his speech and apologizes to the fans for what happened and hopefully some fans can move on with their lives.

Captain Mittens*

Can somebody think of an example of a great athlete who forced the teams hand to trade them and got their number retired? I'm sure it's happened before. I expected the decision to retire his jersey, if you look at the all time stats of the team the history is dreadful. Blake's numbers are far and away better than anybody else on defense, in a few years Doughty should cruise right by him just like Quick has in the goalie department. So I guess to me it's not an issue, when I think about being a Kings fan I think about being proud I stuck with the team through thick and thin, bad trades, bad free agents, bad ownership, bad GM's, they got nothing for Gretzky when he was dealt, it has been a brutal existence. But with 2 Cups in 3 years that's where my focus is, they have a legit shot this year, I'm looking forward to going to Frozen Fury again, so Blake's jersey going up will just be another day. I really hope he puts a lot of thought into his speech and apologizes to the fans for what happened and hopefully some fans can move on with their lives.
:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Very well said

Last edited by a moderator:

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
I think Gretzky when he demanded the Kings trade for some high end talent or he'd ask for a trade...but I think the Kings financial problems at the time played a bigger hand in this failed outcome... At least his heart was in the right place...but it wasn't to be...

I think a blind chimp could have gotten a better return than what the Kings got out of St Louis...

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I find it surprising that this team has had 40+ years of absolute failure, yet a small segment of fans want to keep loudly complaining about a 3 week period in a season that never mattered. And the next 4 - 6 years didn't matter either.

Even 5 years of playoff success (including 2 Cups) still won't sway them to let bygones be bygones.

Oh well.

Ron*

I find it surprising that this team has had 40+ years of absolute failure, yet a small segment of fans want to keep loudly complaining about a 3 week period in a season that never mattered. And the next 4 - 6 years didn't matter either.

Even 5 years of playoff success (including 2 Cups) still won't sway them to let bygones be bygones.

Oh well.

I don't think anyone is "loudly complaining."

We all have varying opinions on one Mr. Blake and going back and forth on this thread or any other thread isn't going to change anyone's mind.

This thread ran its course a week ago anyway. I'm surprised it is still open. If they kept it open just for entertainment purposes; well, there was plenty of that over the weekend but all the interesting and fun posts were deleted. So I have no idea why it's still open.

Oh well.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I don't think anyone is "loudly complaining."

We all have varying opinions on one Mr. Blake and going back and forth on this thread or any other thread isn't going to change anyone's mind.

This thread ran its course a week ago anyway. I'm surprised it is still open. If they kept it open just for entertainment purposes; well, there was plenty of that over the weekend but all the interesting and fun posts were deleted. So I have no idea why it's still open.

Oh well.

Ghandi says "Wax on and wax off!" Right?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
"They say music can alter moods and talk to you.
Well, can it load a gun up for you and **** it too?
Well if it can, and the next time you assault a dude,
just tell the judge it was my fault, and Ghandi'll get sued!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad