Kings News: Rob Blake's No. 4 jersey will be retired by the LA Kings

Captain Mittens*

Any and all Blake hate should be directed at this man

RTEmagicC_Kevin_Gilmore.jpg.jpg

Chris43

Oct 24, 2009
Arizona
Any man that willingly takes the C off his jersey as part of a negotiation has no place in the rafters. Should have stayed gone.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There is a middle ground between blind blake hate and blind blake fanboyism. If we can't accept that and instead try to polarize both camps, this will be an unfortunately short thread.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I just don't get this. I don't care about any of the off ice crap, but the guy didn't do nearly enough on the ice as a King to warrant his number getting retired.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
There is a middle ground between blind blake hate and blind blake fanboyism. If we can't accept that and instead try to polarize both camps, this will be an unfortunately short thread.

Eric Lindros was welcomed warmly by Philly fans (imagine that) after the messy divorce him and the Flyers went through in all of 2000-01.

Think about that for a moment. It's amazing how a minority of fans still resent Blake. It's childish really. There's no other way to put it.

Captain Mittens*

Any man that willingly takes the C off his jersey as part of a negotiation has no place in the rafters. Should have stayed gone.

The method of negotiation was the problem there. If you chose to educate yourself on the entire story, you would be mad at Lieweekly and Gilmore, not at Blake.
Remember they did the same thing to Luc a few months later

p-488685-luc-robitaille-detroit-red-wings-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-hc-ah8x0255.jpg

Are you mad at Luc too?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Eric Lindros was welcomed warmly by Philly fans (imagine that) after the messy divorce him and the Flyers went through in all of 2000-01.

Think about that for a moment. It's amazing how a minority of fans still resent Blake. It's childish really. There's no other way to put it.

Have you even entertained the possibility that some people just don't think he did enough on the ice, or are you just going to wrap everyone under the banner of those who question his character?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I just don't get this. I don't care about any of the off ice crap, but the guy didn't do nearly enough on the ice as a King to warrant his number getting retired.

I don't know about that. I can see that argument when you look at how little the team achieved on the ice, but those were some really bad or really mediocre Kings teams that Blake had to captain.

He's the only Kings defenseman in team history to win a Norris, and he was easily a top 3-5 defenseman during that time right along with Lidstrom and Pronger. All that seems to be forgotten though after the way his contract negotiations broke down.

He was also pretty damn dominant the season he was traded and was in my opinion the best defenseman in the playoffs when the Avs won the Cup. There's no chance the Avs win the Cup in 2001 without Blake.

Albi

Nov 24, 2004
Claro - Switzerland
The method of negotiation was the problem there. If you chose to educate yourself on the entire story, you would be mad at Lieweekly and Gilmore, not at Blake.
Remember they did the same thing to Luc a few months later

p-488685-luc-robitaille-detroit-red-wings-autographed-hand-signed-8x10-photo-hc-ah8x0255.jpg

Are you mad at Luc too?
You forgot that Blake in his second stint with the Kings, he refused to go to the Sharks at the deadline...and then signed with them in the offseason.

Captain Mittens*

You forgot that Blake in his second stint with the Kings, he refused to go to the Sharks at the deadline...and then signed with them in the offseason.

That version of that story that got around, about a trade being set up for Nabakob and he wouldn't waive, was incorrect as well. I'll Google a little and see if I can find the real version

Edit- Found it
Speculation at the trade deadline in ’08, your last year here, was that Lombardi wanted to trade you and you wouldn’t allow it. Any truth to that?
No. He tried to trade me and I allowed it to go through if that’s what he wanted to do. I guess at the last minute they couldn’t get the deal worked out. I wasn’t going to stand in the way of anything they wanted to accomplish

http://mayorsmanor.com/2010/01/rob-blake-the-interview/

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad